How much is "too little" net cals?

Options
I am trying to lose 1lbs a week. I am currently breastfeeding (my supply seems to be fine and baby is gaining weight correctly) but my net cals keeps being under 1000. I know that I shouldn't be going under 1200 but then that means I can't lose a lbs a week since if I go -500 I am under 1200. Should I up my intake? I don't want to be losing weight the wrong way.

Sorry if this is on the wrong forum - not sure what section it belongs

Replies

• crixmix
    crixmix Posts: 30
    Options
    I have heard going under 900 puts your body in starvation mode. I can't verify the accuracy of that, though. I found it very hard to lose weight while exclusively breast feeding...so be patient. Eat when you're hungry...get those good fats from walnuts and almonds. Having oatmeal, steel cut, every day will also help if you do run into a supply issue. I think if your diet is nutrient rich, 1000 calories sometimes isnt the worst thing....just try not to make a habit out of it.
  • Olive32214
    Olive32214 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    bump

I am trying to lose 1lbs a week. I am currently breastfeeding (my supply seems to be fine and baby is gaining weight correctly) but my net cals keeps being under 1000. I know that I shouldn't be going under 1200 but then that means I can't lose a lbs a week since if I go -500 I am under 1200. Should I up my intake? I don't want to be losing weight the wrong way.

Sorry if this is on the wrong forum - not sure what section it belongs
    [/quote]