Calorie Goal?

Options
I joined myfitnesspal to basically just get a little fitter. I only want to lose like 10 pounds. That would put me at a pretty low weight, but since I am only 18, it doesn't seem unreachable. I run track every day but it's hard for me to know how many calories are burned doing that. My problem is that my daily calorie goal is supposed to be about 1200. I never eat that low of calories! I understand you have to cut back to lose weight, but I ALWAYS seem to eat around 1800-2000 calories now. I don't think it would be healthy for me to eat that low of calories during track season. So please give me some feedback, should I be eating more (than what MFP reccomends) or am I just being a wimp?

Replies

16097 Posts: 10
    Options
    I joined myfitnesspal to basically just get a little fitter. I only want to lose like 10 pounds. That would put me at a pretty low weight, but since I am only 18, it doesn't seem unreachable. I run track every day but it's hard for me to know how many calories are burned doing that. My problem is that my daily calorie goal is supposed to be about 1200. I never eat that low of calories! I understand you have to cut back to lose weight, but I ALWAYS seem to eat around 1800-2000 calories now. I don't think it would be healthy for me to eat that low of calories during track season. So please give me some feedback, should I be eating more (than what MFP reccomends) or am I just being a wimp?
  • AmandaJ
    AmandaJ Posts: 1,950 Member
    Options
    MFP recommends you eat all your exercise calories or at least a good majority of them. I am assuming that you burn many calories each day during track season that you run. So it is very possible that you would eat close to 1800 calories. Make sure you add your exercise and eat those calories. I hope this helps!
  • mommyofone
    Options
    I try to eat all of the calories that I can but there are days that I can't
    16097 Posts: 10
    Options
    I wonder how many calories I burn at practice....We start with general stretching for 5 minutes, then we do 60 squat jumps, then 75 crunches on each side, then 100 of those crunches where you put your legs straight up, then 100 "swimming" crunches we call them, then 100 crunches where you balance on your butt and move side to side. See, I have NO idea how to search for that kind of excercise....okay then we move on to general calisthenics (lunges, squats, striding) for about 10 minutes. Next we move outside and run laps. Today I only ran two (1.2 miles) but usually we run about 6 or 7 (3.6-4.2 miles). And that's it. The total practice (counting breaks) usually takes about 1 hour and 30 minutes.
  • Cyndi1
    Cyndi1 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I think you are fine to eat at least 1800 calories. That's a lot of exercise. Just work at 1 pound a week.

Good Luck!
  • healthyone41
    Options
    You can purchase a sports watch that tells you how many calories you burn. This way you will be sure to eat enough.

162358.png