How much is "too little" net calories?

Options
I am trying to lose 1lbs a week. I am currently breastfeeding (my supply seems to be fine and baby is gaining weight correctly) but my net cals keeps being under 1000 (300cals for Bfing and 400 for working out). I know that I shouldn't be going under 1200 but then that means I can't lose a lbs a week since if I go -500 I am under 1200. Should I up my intake? I don't want to be losing weight the wrong way.

Replies

• Gshields42
    Options
    As you get closer to a healthy weight, you won't be able to lose as much weight consistently. You can probably stray a little under 1200, but I wouldn't go any significant amount. Talk to a doctor or nutritionist if in doubt, but you should probably reel in your expectations to something closer to .5 lbs a week loss, or possibly less.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    This is something you should be asking your doctor.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    With only 7 pounds to your goal (as per your ticker) you can't expect to lose one pound a week anymore. You'd be better off with a 250 calorie a day deficit at this point.

With a larger calorie deficit, you risk losing a larger portion of lean muscle as you're losing weight. Smaller deficit means more of the loss is from fat. Which also means you'll likely reach your ideal body shape and size before you reach your ideal number on the scale. :wink:

For what it's worth, last time I lost weight and got to 130#, I was a size 8 or 9. This time, I'm around 130# and a size 4 or 5. Keeping muscle is a wonderful thing.
  • ivansmomma
    Options
    Definitely talk to your doctor before you continue. Just my personal opinion, but I don't believe it's a good idea to be trying to lose weight while breastfeeding. That's not to say that you shouldn't be eating healthy and getting exercise, but even though your baby seems to be getting enough, is he/she getting the nutrients from you that they need? But, again, talk to your doctor. Take care.
  • Gshields42
    Options
    Definitely a good point, ivansmomma
  • niknak2308
    niknak2308 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    :smile: Hi,
    I'm kind of in the same boat.
    For the last couple of months I've been netting upto 500 in deficit without really realising... I was looking at the
    calorie consumed figure, and as long as that was over 1200 I thought I was doing fine (and then just treating exercise cals
    as a bonus). Yes I know, der lol.

Well my loss was practically non-existant, so after much research (ie asking other MFPers) I've made a real effort to net at least 1000
    a day, preferably closer to 1200, but def no lower than 900 to allow for if I go over later in the week. I found this really hard at the beginning but have now worked out that I just need to keep eating the same foods but more of them!

I lost a lb within a few days of exercising daily (between 500-1000cals and eating nearly every one back) and making sure I was netting at least 1000. My second weigh in under this new regime is Sat so I don't know how much I've lost, but I know I definitely have as I have also now dropped a dress size (woohoo!)

With regards to breastfeeding, looking back I can see that my little one was having very bad nights, and cranky days, and I honestly think it was due to my milk not being as calorific as before. She was also wanting it more often, as if she wasn't satisfied.
    The last two weeks, I've stopped feeding her in the day which she is quite happy with, she will have a full feed at 7pm, wakes at 11pm/12am for her night feed, and then next wakes anywhere between 5 and 6am. (May sounds horrific to some people but before I was feeding her at 7, 9, 12pm, 3am, 4am, 5am etc so it's definitely working well for us). The large amounts of healthy food I'm eating are obviously doing us both some good!

I'm now focussing on inch loss rather through exercising rather than figure loss on the scale.