ln need of steel cut oatmeal recipes

Options
I just bought my first bag of steel cut oats... anyone have any good recipes that are low in calories? Or any websites that have good recipes? Thanks!

Replies

• debcic
    debcic Posts: 1
    Options
    http://www.mommyskitchen.net/2009/01/overnight-crock-pot-oatmeal.html

This one looks good - you could use water which is less calories - I think I will like this method of cooking better because I have made mine right in the pot.....and I think I will like this better. You could then build the recipe to see how many calories.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I cooked a batch yesterday that made 5 servings so it will last me a week.

1 cup steel cut oats
    1 cup skim milk
    4 cups water
    1 tablespoon butter

Chuck it all in a casserole dish and bake in the oven for about 45 mins. Don't worry if it looks pretty soupy, it firms up like polenta when it gets cold.

This morning I cut off a chunk and heated it in the microwave with some water and stirred it up until it was the kind of runny again.

This comes out at 156 cals per serve as is, and 269 cals with peanut butter and chopped apple stirred in.

Yummy, and really filling.
  • JustTracyB
    Options
    I cook mine on stove top. I just discovered the quick cook steel cut oats and like that I can make a serving at a time. This is what I do.

3/4 cups water to a boil.
    1/4 cup oats stirred into the boiling water.
    Once it starts to thicken (sometimes I need to add an additional TBS of water or 2)

add in 1 packet of Truvia or other natural sweetner
    1 TBS Cinnamon
    1TBS Chia or Ground Flax
    1/4 cup fresh or frozen blueberries.

I also add a TBS of walnut pieces occasionally depending on my calorie needs. :-)

Its delicious! It's my go to breakfast in the morning when I need something more than a protein shake.
  • BethTaylor93
    BethTaylor93 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    http://www.theyummylife.com/blog/2011/03/159/Overnight,+Slow+Cooker,+Apple+Cinnamon+Steel-Cut+Oatmeal

I made this and let it cook in the crockpot while we slept and it was such a great breakfast treat!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i mix it up with two tablespoons of extra chunky peanut butter.
  • juliep1974
    juliep1974 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Somebody posted this earlier this week - I haven't tried it but I plan to next week - it looks delicious!

http://www.cookingwithjax.com/2011/01/apple-pie-breakfast.html
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Mompanda4
    Mompanda4 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Healthy_Hannah483
    Healthy_Hannah483 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    This may sound really strange, but right now I'm eating a bowl of oatmeal with grated carrots, raisins, and cinnamon....and its delicious. I love it, I think once you pick up on other's recipes you'll be making your own creations soon- I know I did! Also, a lot of people put frozen berries & sugar (or sugar substitute) in their oatmeal. Or nuts and dried fruit. I also like mine made with almond milk with cut up banana and honey! Mmmmm.
  • Jamie145
    Jamie145 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    imade this recipe the other day and my kids LOVED it. iwas shocked! :O)

Oatmeal with Walnuts and Apple Butter
    (weight watchers recipe) pointsplus-9points per serving

1 cup steel-cut oats
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    3 cups water
    1/2 apple butter
    2 Tablespoons brown sugar
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/4 cup chopped walnuts,toasted

1. Combine first 3 ingredients in a medium saucepan;bring to a boil.Reduce heat;simmer,uncovered,15 minutes or until desired consistency,stirring occasionally.Remove from heat.Stir in apple butter,brown sugar,and cinnamon.Divide oatmeal evenly among 4 bowls;sprinkle each serving with walnuts.

makes 4 servings

i doubled mine to make 8 servings..

(serving size- 3/4 cup oatmeal and 1 Tablespoon walnuts).

this is listed in the food diary on MFP. :)