Replies

• Rocking_Robin
    Rocking_Robin Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Bump, thank for the post!
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    You have to grind them using a blender to get the benefits. I eat a tablespoon every morning in my oatmeal. You can also add it to your yogurt, shakes, etc. I also learned that you DO NOT HEAT THEM. So if you cook them in oatmeal, add it when it is done.

Why shouldn't you heat it?
  • amyhollar
    amyhollar Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    No expert here

Love flax seeds

Was told to eat them grounded, for better digestion, lot of times whole flax passes thru without being digested

Once ground keep in the fridge

I like it with plain yoghurt
    Give it to my kids with oatmeal

This is good information. To get the health benefits of flax (omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids) you MUST grind it first (you can use a clean coffee grinder). If grinding them doesn't appeal to you, look into chia seeds. Essentially the same health benefits and you do NOT have to grind chia seeds to absorb the good stuff from them. I get them for 7.99 a lb at Whole Foods in the bulk bins, or you can order them from chiaseedsdirect.com or many other places (amazon, etc).

Flax also turns rancid very quickly so you should keep whole flax seeds and especially ground flax sealed tight in the fridge!

And a side note: I bought ground flaxseed once, and even though I kept it in the fridge, it went bad pretty quickly. I'd suggest buying whole seeds, keeping them in the fridge, and grinding in small batches as needed.
  • deblc6836
    Options
    You have to grind them using a blender to get the benefits. I eat a tablespoon every morning in my oatmeal. You can also add it to your yogurt, shakes, etc. I also learned that you DO NOT HEAT THEM. So if you cook them in oatmeal, add it when it is done.

Why shouldn't you heat it?
  • deblc6836
    Options
    Heating would alter the beneficial Omega-3's. This is also why raw nuts are better for you than roasted nuts.
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Word of advice. Our bodies can't really digest whole flaxseeds and they'll just "come out in the end." To get maximum benefit you should use flaxseed meal (found in refrigerated section of health food stores). You can stir it into oatmeal, etc. Or you can take a tablespoon of flaxseed oil and just gulp it down. Not the yummiest but not horrible either.
  • Quiing
    Quiing Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I like buying whole flax seed. I put the amount I'm going to use in a coffee grinder to make sure I get the omega-3s and the fiber. I like putting it in my protein shakes and in my salads.
  • mallred76
    mallred76 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    You can sprinkle it over salad, in wraps, in smoothies or in protein shakes. I make flax seed chips in my dehydrator. I also use flaxseed oil as my salad dressing.
  • DianaJaneD
    DianaJaneD Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I use Bob's Red Mill Organic Flaxseed Meal and add it to yogurt, unsweetened applesauce, on top of salads, in smoothies or on veggies. I like the nutty texture and flavor.
  • HealthyAcademic
    HealthyAcademic Posts: 85 Member
    Options

Was told to eat them grounded, for better digestion, lot of times whole flax passes thru without being digested

Once ground keep in the fridge

Same.

I use ground flax as an egg replacement in baking. Use it in my homemade energy bites. Sprinkled on salad and in smoothies.
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    what I do is usually add 2-4 tablespoons of ground flaxseed meal to my cereal (cold or hot) in the morning and try to find a way to add it in with dinner (2 tbsp). I was going to do that this morning and totally forgot about it. When I make lunch I'll remember to add it in.
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I use Bob's Red Mill Organic Flaxseed Meal and add it to yogurt, unsweetened applesauce, on top of salads, in smoothies or on veggies. I like the nutty texture and flavor.

Yeah that's the one I use as well. its really tasty to me.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Always use freshly ground up flax seeds. The moment flax seeds (and all other seeds and nuts) are ground up, the vitamins in them start to oxidize and the fats are getting rancid. Buying ground up flax seeds (or other seeds and nuts) is a waste of money and health, as it is a deteriorated product. You have to grind them up yourself, in a coffee grinder or seed grinder, and immediately put them into your food and eat them. Do not cook, heat ruins them too.
  • Nic620
    Nic620 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Just used it in our smoothie. Don't be scared of it!
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    One Minute Molten Chocolate Flax Muffin

2 tsps butter or coconut oil
    1/4 cup flaxseed meal
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    1 tbl cocoa powder (I use Wonderslim Wondercocoa-not bitter don't have to add vanilla extract)
    1 egg
    Sweetening of choice such as 1 tbl of sf syrup of choice (my favorite is sf chocolate macadamia nut) or 1-2 pkts of Splenda or Stevia
    1 square of Lindt 85% Dark Chocolate

Melt the 1-2 tsps of butter or CO in a large oversize mug in the microwave-usually about 20 seconds. Add the 1/4 cup flaxseed meal, 1/2 tsp baking powder & 1 tbl cocoa powder and mix well. Add the egg and sweetener and mix again. Float the 1 square of the dark chocolate in the middle of the batter. Nuke for about 1 minute-the top should look slightly wet and not be dried out. Turn out onto serving plate and wash mug right away as the flax can be hard to remove if it dries in the mug. Enjoy with a schmear of cream cheese or whipped cream.

Pumpkin Muffin
    1/4 cup flax seed meal (i like golden)
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    4 tablespoons Splenda sugar substitute or as needed
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
    2 1/2 tablespoons pumpkin puree (canned) (I use 1/4 cup)
    1 egg

Frosting

1 ounce cream cheese
    1 teaspoon almond milk (or cream)
    3 tablespoons Splenda sugar substitute (or more or less, depends on your taste)

Directions:

Mix all together in a mug and microwave for 1 min 40 sec! for frosting just mix together as well. spread muffin with with frosting. YUM!
    tip: if you forget to get your cream cheese out to soften, microwave it for about 15 seconds and it wiil work fine.

Basic muffin in a minute:
    1/4 cup flax meal
    1 packet splenda packet
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    1 large egg
    1 teaspoon butter

Put the dry ingredients in a coffee mug. Or a bowl for a different shape.

Stir.

Then add the egg and the butter. Mix.

Microwave 1 minute (or more). Take out. slice, butter, eat. Set mug to soak immediately.

Cream cheese would go nicely, too. I experiment with extracts. I added banana extract, walnuts, and topped with cream chese frosting for a healthy alternative to banana bread. I added cherry and peanut butter extract to the chocolate muffin. You can also add a tablespoon of pb to these for added flavor. Lemon extract and cream cheese frosting is great with the basic muffin. These things have been a lifesaver to me!
  • HomeschoolingMomOf3
    Options
    Flax seed makes a good egg replacement in recipes.

Flax Seed Egg Replacement:

Ingredients for 1 Eggs:
    1 Tbsp ground flax seeds
    2-3 Tbsp water

Ingredients for 4 Eggs:
    1/4 cup ground flax seeds
    3/4 cup water

Ingredients for 8 Eggs:
    1/2 cup ground flax seeds
    1 1/2 cup water

1. In a small pan, simmer water and flax seeds until it starts to gel. It takes about 5 minutes for 4 eggs.
    2. Let cool. Store in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.

(I use this recipe when I need a binder. It doesn't let baked goods rise but it will do if you don't have the Chia seeds.)
  • velloxal
    velloxal Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I use 1 tablespoon of flax seeds and pour boiling water, cover for 5 min and its ready. They expand a bit so you will need to add triple amount of water. I love to bite them.
  • missy_1975
    missy_1975 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    One Minute Molten Chocolate Flax Muffin

2 tsps butter or coconut oil
    1/4 cup flaxseed meal
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    1 tbl cocoa powder (I use Wonderslim Wondercocoa-not bitter don't have to add vanilla extract)
    1 egg
    Sweetening of choice such as 1 tbl of sf syrup of choice (my favorite is sf chocolate macadamia nut) or 1-2 pkts of Splenda or Stevia
    1 square of Lindt 85% Dark Chocolate

Melt the 1-2 tsps of butter or CO in a large oversize mug in the microwave-usually about 20 seconds. Add the 1/4 cup flaxseed

meal, 1/2 tsp baking powder & 1 tbl cocoa powder and mix well. Add the egg and sweetener and mix again. Float the 1 square of the dark chocolate in the middle of the batter. Nuke for about 1 minute-the top should look slightly wet and not be dried out. Turn out onto serving plate and wash mug right away as the flax can be hard to remove if it dries in the mug. Enjoy with a schmear of cream cheese or whipped cream.

Pumpkin Muffin
    4 cup flax seed meal (i like golden)
    4 tablespoons Splenda sugar substitute
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/2 pumpkin pie spice
    2 1/2 tablespoons pumpkin puree (canned)
    1 egg

Frosting

1 ounce cream cheese
    1 teaspoon almond milk (or cream)
    3 tablespoons Splenda sugar substitute (or more or less, depends on your taste)

Directions:

Mix all together in a mug and microwave for 1 min 40 sec! for frosting just mix together as well. spread muffin with with frosting. YUM!
    tip: if you forget to get your cream cheese out to soften, microwave it for about 15 seconds and it wiil work fine.

Basic muffin in a minute:
    1/4 cup flax meal
    1 packet splenda packet
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    1 large egg
    1 teaspoon butter

Put the dry ingredients in a coffee mug. Or a bowl for a different shape.

Stir.

Then add the egg and the butter. Mix.

Microwave 1 minute (or more). Take out. slice, butter, eat. Set mug to soak immediately.

Cream cheese would go nicely, too. I experiment with extracts. I added banana extract, walnuts, and topped with cream chese frosting for a healthy alternative to banana bread. I added cherry and peanut butter extract to the chocolate muffin. You can also add a tablespoon of pb to these for added flavor. Lemon extract and cream cheese frosting is great with the basic muffin. These things have been a lifesaver to me!

Bump for future nomming
  • amyhollar
    amyhollar Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Flax seed makes a good egg replacement in recipes.

Flax Seed Egg Replacement:

Ingredients for 1 Eggs:
    1 Tbsp ground flax seeds
    2-3 Tbsp water

Ingredients for 4 Eggs:
    1/4 cup ground flax seeds
    3/4 cup water

Ingredients for 8 Eggs:
    1/2 cup ground flax seeds
    1 1/2 cup water

1. In a small pan, simmer water and flax seeds until it starts to gel. It takes about 5 minutes for 4 eggs.
    2. Let cool. Store in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.

(I use this recipe when I need a binder. It doesn't let baked goods rise but it will do if you don't have the Chia seeds.)

Interesting, I make flax eggs for baked goods all the time, but I just use 1 T fresh ground flax + 3 T warm water, whisk it together, and let it sit for 5 minutes or so. I've never simmered it or anything.
  • BellydanceBliss
    Options
    i love flax. its kind of nutty and i like to put it on cereal when i have it or smoothies it can really go in anything and even in spaghetti sauce.