Critique this advice from the trainer at the gym for me

Options

Replies

• melbaby925
    Options
    Go read the New Rules of Lifting for Women - completely changed how I felt, and what I thought I knew about weights.

Also, that trainer is not giving you good advice (revised my earlier statement because there might be children watching).

I started lifting with a very light bar and really watched my form. Now I can do more weight, but ALWAYS watch your form - you don't want to get hurt doing something off balance.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    I'm not looking to throw a 200 lb bar around to start. And I'd love for him to show me proper form, but he insists on machines.

IDK because I'm a newb. Keep it coming everyone!

For the record, I haven't hired him and don't have a contract, it was my free session when you sign up at the gym.
  • MollyDurham
    MollyDurham Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    As a woman my situation is a bit different! I am built JUST like my daddy in every aspect except for the enormous hips I got from mom! (In a size 12 pant my waist measured 23 while my hips were a 57 but that was 8 years ago) However, I have the broad shoulders, wide ribcage, and ability to gain muscle mass rapidly, that my father did! I have to be very careful when I lift becuase I will bulk up really fast if I am lifting too much wieght. I do a medium range weight at a higher rep level. This helps me tone and burn fat/cals without bulking an already broad upper torso! I think that you should lift what's comfortable and add weight as it gets easier. If you are at odd with the trainers oppinion, find another one! You are paying for the services so you have every right to request a certain comfort level with your trainer! Buts that's just my two abnormal cents!
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I would start anything new rather slowly. Overdoing it (too heavy on weights too quickly) can cause injury, or just wear out your joints. (I was seriously into weight training in my 20s and in my early 40s, I'm a woman in my late 40s now).

Your trainer sounds like hei's looking out for your best interests. Think longer term and have patience.
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I think that being new to doing compund lifts you'd be wise to start out light to learn proper form. Deadlifts and Squats done with heavy weight and poor form aren't beneficial. Once proper form is learned then you can add weight.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Maybe just start on the machines first and do lower weights whilst starting out.
    Work your way up to heavier weights, and once you get the ideas of the machines and how to do it properly then move on to free weights because you CAN get very badly injured if not careful.
  • oaker
    oaker Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I am also not a trainer, but to shy away from free weights because you are not strong enough to handle them is questionable at best. I think you should start out with light wts to begin with and get your form correct. This in itself will build a strong core. As you slowly move up in weight, your body will become even stronger and benefit from using free weights and compound moves. You may have to start with a 15 or 20 lb bar just to get started. Remember, form or performing each lift correctly is one of the most important factors when beginning a wt training program.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with him at all. *Not a trainer though*

I started out lifting with free weights. Benching the bar, squatting the bar to work on form, And dead lifting with 10 pound bumpers on the sides. Form is very important for a variety of reasons.

4 years later and I can squat 180, dead 225, and bench 90 (at 120 lbs)
    And I don't have a clue how to use most of the machines at the gym xD

Agree with this.

Just start light & get your form checked by someone credible. Sounds like you're current trainer wants the easy way out by sending you to the machines. Machines do not use the stabiliser muscles that free weights do.

Re injuries like rotator cuffs: As long as you're program has enough pulling to pressing exercises then it should be a non issue.

Unless you went in there & said I want to do free weights for 3 rep maxes or something. As a beginner, that is a bad idea. Not low reps (1-5) or high but moderate of around 5-8 is best for beginners IMO.
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Whoops, I just re-read your post. You can start with lower weights (free weights) just as easily as with machines. Maybe it's easier for the trainer to show you the machines first. But I still agree, don't start heavy with low reps. Ease into it whether you're using machines or free weights.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Agree with this.

Just start light & get your form checked by someone credible. Sounds like you're current trainer wants the easy way out by sending you to the machines. Machines do not use the stabiliser muscles that free weights do.

Re injuries like rotator cuffs: As long as you're program has enough pulling to pressing exercises then it should be a non issue.

Unless you went in there & said I want to do free weights for 3 rep maxes or something. As a beginner, that is a bad idea. Not low reps (1-5) or high but moderate of around 5-8 is best for beginners IMO.

He was recommending 10-15.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Well, some of my info may also be old, but ...

He's right on wanting to start with lower weight and machines. It's a safety issue. Imagine you want to run. You wouldn't plan on doing the 4 minute mile, or the marathon, your first day. You'd start slower or shorter and work up to it. Same with weights. It's called weight "training" because that's what you're doing: training your muscles. Start with something moderate and if it's not enough you can add more, a bit at a time.

Also, I always understood that high weight/low rep is specifically for adding bulk. Now, as a woman, you're not going to bulk up like Arnold Swcharzenegger (or however you spell it). Women just don't. But you will still get bulkier than you are now. If that's what you want, that's okay. But most women want the lean, toned look, which (again, from my understanding and old college classes, maybe it's outdated) comes from low weight and many reps. I worked with a trainer about 5 years ago and she had me doing 15-20 reps per set (with the weight gradually increasing as I got better, but you want something that will have you at fatigue at the end of each set, but not so much that you can't get very close to finishing your set).
  • mzoe60
    mzoe60 Posts: 11
    Options
    Get a different trainer!!! Oh and for the record, you probably already know, women who lift weights ONLY get huge muscles if they're on steroids.

This is not true.

I am a trainer. You are at a greater risk for injury if your basic core fitness is not up to the challenge of lifting weights. If you feel like you do have the fitness you need to start weightlifting then tell your trainer. There are a million schools of thought on how to lose weight most efficiently and how to gain/lose muscle mass efficiently. Talk WITH your trainer so you can find what works best for YOUR BODY.

Good luck!
  • sailorsiren13
    Options
    ok so he sounds like he's being both old school and cautious you can lift and won't get big unless your doing steroids. Once you get more familiar with the gym have at it and have fun!!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with him at all. *Not a trainer though*

I started out lifting with free weights. Benching the bar, squatting the bar to work on form, And dead lifting with 10 pound bumpers on the sides. Form is very important for a variety of reasons.

4 years later and I can squat 180, dead 225, and bench 90 (at 120 lbs)
    And I don't have a clue how to use most of the machines at the gym xD
    Before starting heavy strenght training, i only had done running. I started with only the bar and the weight went up with time. I didn´t injured myself or anything. I am using ¨the new rules of lifting for women¨ it was the best10$$$ i ever spent.
  • JarrodFit4Life
    Options
    I agree that you should probably start with some isolated movements and core strengthening. A stronger core means a stronger body all around which will in turn help you properly perform different types of lifting exercises.

I think he could have explained the idea behind rep range a little better. I personally don't think it will make a huge difference but traditionally heavy weights that cause failure at around 8-10 reps with 1+ minutes rest time in between sets maximize muscle growth and hypertrophy. The extended recovery time allows you to stay under the target HR zone which maximizes the calories you consume for muscle replenishment instead of energy (fat burning). Ultimately, you burn less calories lifting heavy for fewer reps and taking longer breaks.

Lighter weights with increased reps and shorter breaks in between sets will give you circuit style training which will keep your heart rate in the proper zone allowing you to burn more calories. This also creates muscular endurance and stamina and helps increase blood flow to the muscles.

If you think about it, it makes sense...people say lighter weights and more reps "tones" because you burn more calories/fat while staying in your target zone. On the other side, heavier weights with fewer reps "bulks" you up because you are burning less calories in the form of energy and using the calories you consume to repair muscles for muscle growth.
  • crca7118
    Options
    Get a new trainer! I lift heavy and I usually do 3 sets of 15-20 depending on what muscle group I'm working. I would say that lifting heavy is the only way to go. Use body weight for squats, lunges and any other exercises you do that get your heart rate up until you feel like you can add weight and keep good form. That advice is still out there though because I have friends tell me all the time they "don't want to get big" I love weights and would rather lift them than pretty much any other workout. Rachael Cosgrove has an awesome weight program in her book "the Female body break throught" that makes weight lifting into cardio and transforms your body. I cant say that I love her eating program but she has great workouts.
  • JarrodFit4Life
    Options
    Technically, if you can do 15-20 reps per set, this isn't heavy lifting. Heavy lifting is considered to be a weight that causes failure at
    5-8 reps.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    You obviously don't respect his opinion, so that's reason enough to find someone new.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Agree with this.

He was recommending 10-15.

For the first week or learning the movements this is probably a good idea. After that, all you will be doing is working on muscular endurance. Once you get the form right, then drop the reps to 5-8 IMO.
  • piebird79
    piebird79 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Check out "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" by Lou Schuler. It should get you started down the path to lifting heavy without hurting yourself.