Are calories REALLY all that matter?

Options
124»

Replies

• JaymeLS
    JaymeLS Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I try to look at it all but I mostly concentrate on my sodium and the calories. I have CHF and on a sodium restricted diet. To me trying to keep under my 1500 sodium a day is tougher than staying under my calories.
  • leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I use to do weight watchers and followed the 5 fruits and veggie rule religiously. I lost weight and kept it off for years. I quit weight watchers and i calorie count and i've gained 8 pounds since. Say all you want about calorie deficits but if you arent eating right you will not keep the weight off because all this "low calorie" garbage that comes in boxes will make you feel deprived and will not have the same effect on you as good- close to the earth food. Many diet plans dont have you focus on calories at all but you can lose weight if you just eat naturally....chicken, meats, fruits, veggies etc. Its what the Dr Oz diet preaches, ditto for Weight Watchers core plan etc. Eat Well Live Well!
  • teripendleton
    Options
    I only track calories. I used to think that a calorie was a calorie, but I have come to realize that calories from protein are much easier for the body to break down so now I try to avoid loading up on carbs and try to get a good percentage of my calories from protein. It's working much better. I'm actually eating 200 calories a day more than I was and am losing faster.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I avoid polyunsaturated fats and hydrogenated oils. I try to cut out processed foods entirely.

I don't want to be thin with clogged arteries. I want to be a healthy thin.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If your only goal is to lose weight - yes calorie deficit is all that matters . It will cause you to lose weight.
    If you want to look good naked though adequate protein and fat intake is very important (along with strength training of course)
    Sodium only masks fat loss. It does not slow it down

I track my Macros and calories, making sure to at lest meet the minimum for pro and fat. I also track sodium just so I know what to expect on the scale. Somedays I go over, get on the scale, and DON"T freakout because it is only water retention and I did not gain 5 lbs over night. Hehe

No days are perfect. I do what I can and don't let it control my life anymore than it already does

+1
  • bluberrygoo
    bluberrygoo Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Calories are important, but I'm concerned with carbs and keeping them under 20 g, for now.
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I have to watch carbs and calories for loss...calories for maintenance.
  • Pumpkinguy13
    Pumpkinguy13 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If all you care about is pure lbs than yes, calories is all that matters.

However if you care about your health, how you look, how active and fit you are, than definitely not.
  • Ploogy
    Ploogy Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Talk about resurrecting a dead thread!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I tend to be able to eat a higher number of calories of cleaner, nutrient dense foods to maintain my weight, than if I was eating more processed foods. I have noticed that for myself, personally, along with a distinct difference in bodily appearance. Regardless of weight, if I eat too much crap for too long, I start to look like crap as well as feel like crap, even if within a certain calorie goal. So no, I do not think it is only calories that matter. To me, it is fairly obvious that the body will function better metabolically if given the right amounts of vitamins and minerals.