Hard time staying within calorie range....any advice?

Options
So I put my profile and it was suggested that I stay within 1200 calories a day. I've been monitoring my calorie intake for about a week now and I seem to consistently go over about 300 to 400 calories a day and I am drinking all the water plus more.

I just seem to be more hungry than 1200 calories and I don't know what to do. Should I push myself not to eat even though I am hungry or should I work out more to try to burn off the extra calories? Is it just because I am so used to overeating that my body is adjusting to the calories

It is discouraging especially when I weigh myself day to day even if it is first thing in the morning each time I am getting various weights on different days.

UGGHHHH

Replies

• rseman
    rseman Posts: 50
    Options
    So I put my profile and it was suggested that I stay within 1200 calories a day. I've been monitoring my calorie intake for about a week now and I seem to consistently go over about 300 to 400 calories a day and I am drinking all the water plus more.

I just seem to be more hungry than 1200 calories and I don't know what to do. Should I push myself not to eat even though I am hungry or should I work out more to try to burn off the extra calories? Is it just because I am so used to overeating that my body is adjusting to the calories

It is discouraging especially when I weigh myself day to day even if it is first thing in the morning each time I am getting various weights on different days.

UGGHHHH
  • jessneill
    jessneill Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    It can depend on the types of calories you are taking in as well. I get most of my calories from vegetables, fruits, low-fat dairy and lean meat. You also need to make sure all meals have some protein in them, protein makes you feel full and keeps you feeling full longer than carbs alone.

Hope that helps!

Don't worry, your body is adjusting to eating fewer calories, it may take a litte time. :smile:
  • mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,696 Member
    Options
    It might be better for you to go by your BMR which is the amount of calories you need if you just laid in bed all day. There is a BMR calculator on this site under tools. Mine is about 1400, so that is what I eat every day. If you prefer to eat 1200 calories then try to eat more veggies for snacks etc. If you exercise, you get to eat those extra calories that you burned. I hope this helps. Songbyrdsweet has helped me in this area so maybe she will have some advice for you as well.
  • poledancing_ninja
    Options
    DO NOT WEIGH YOURSELF EVERY DAY

Your body constantly fluctuates between weights during the day and weighing everyday can be disheartening. Try weighing every week.

Try eating slower also. I was on a research program a while back which suggested that eating slower caused you to feel fuller and was on a machine that weighed the amount I ate and the rate I ate it at. You feel much much fuller and therefore need smaller food portions. Aim to eat a meal between 7-10 minutes.

Also, a week isn't that long, if your body is used to overeating it will take a while to adjust to your new regime especially if you ate sugary foods because your body craves them. If this is the case try snacking on sugary fruits like grapes or pineapple.

Good luck and keep trying! ^.^
  • rseman
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!! I am going to check into all your advice and you all made me smile :smile:
  • rseman
    Options
    It might be better for you to go by your BMR which is the amount of calories you need if you just laid in bed all day. There is a BMR calculator on this site under tools. Mine is about 1400, so that is what I eat every day. If you prefer to eat 1200 calories then try to eat more veggies for snacks etc. If you exercise, you get to eat those extra calories that you burned. I hope this helps. Songbyrdsweet has helped me in this area so maybe she will have some advice for you as well.

I tried it and it wasn't very comforting because it says my BMR is only 1252 calories!!! But I will try the veggie thing. Tonight I was actually thinking of a grilled chicken breast with brocholi for dinner.
  • dmflynt
    dmflynt Posts: 196
    Options
    You need to aim for BIG food with LITTLE calories (raw green peppers, lettuce, celery, popcorn, blueberries, raspberries, clementines). Avoid cheese and fatty foods. It is VERY hard to stay with the 1200 calories, but worth the effort when the pounds melt away!!
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Hello, The thing that has helped me the most is looking back in the food journal and seeing the days i stayed within my calories what i ate, and the days i went over what i ate.....I have found when i have gone over it has been when i have only ate cereal for breakfast, but days i eat more (oatmeal and fruitor whole wheat pancakes), i eat less calories the rest of the day!! Plus i find if i have a filling breakfast i don't crave sweets and carbs......maybe give it shot, hope it helps!! Cara
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Also try going to a site where you calculate your activity into your BMR, if you are burning calories through exercise, you need to add that to your BMR use the formula BMR +daily activity + exercise subtract 500 for the caloric defecit.....see what # you come up with, that should be your daily calorie allowance!
  • karathrace
    Options
    Work out the extra calories :) It lets you eat extra! I go over 200-300 calories myself but then burn them off plus extra.