Calling all Southern Belle Sweet Tea Addicts

Options
I have found that sweet tea is my habit and addiction! Unsweet tea is NOT an option. I've tried Stevia, Truvia, etc. and it is just plain nasty. I like plain water but I'm having a hard time drinking it plain. I've used real lemons and at least 5 or more Crystal Light mixes. The boxes are taking up so much space in my cabinet. They seem too sweet. I even tried 2 different tea powders. yuck! Any suggestions?

Replies

• ShadowSoldier23
    ShadowSoldier23 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I'm a sweet tea junkie, I actually just cut it out for the most part but I feel you. I really do! lol. I tend to still use sugar but sweet and low or equal to help make it sweeter. Idk what to say because I like sweet tea with real sugar myself!
  • 57scoutmaster
    Options
    Make your tea with Splenda ... it works for me
  • SouthernBeauty89
    Options
    I enjoy one glass of sweet tea a day. I've cut my sugar in half though so it's not super sweet but it's sweet enough. :) Some people make it super sweet which will hurt you if you are trying to lose weight so that's why I just limit myself but don't fully restrict myself either. I'll end up cheating if I do.
  • Barbour6
    Options
    Brew regular tea bags and add 1 cup of splenda (per 2 qt container). Add more if you prefer it even sweeter. My son loves sweet tea from Micky D's and he said mine is close second...
  • killingtheantagonist
    Options
    I always brewed 4 tea bags in my coffee pot, put 2 cups of Splenda in a gallon pitcher, poured in the tea and add all ice to it. Mix it up mostly until some of the ice has melted and put it in the fridge. After a couple hours the ice usually crystalizes. I think the tea tastes pretty good, but I'm use to it now. My parents are both diabetic and we just can't use sugar in it anymore.
  • pinkarrow
    Options
    Sweet tea is mother's milk to me! But I've started cutting way back on it by sweetening my tea with Splenda or Equal. Honestly I cheat every now and then, but even then I do a half and half. :)
  • sissytx
    sissytx Posts: 50
    Options
    I also make my from brewed tea and splenda. Now my family likes it too........or is it because thats all they get? LOL - no it is really good. The new equal brand is just as good as splenda also.
  • acmedawg
    Options
    My family has switched to Agave syrup. It has a lower glycemic index than regular sugar, and of course none of the chemicals of artificial sweeteners. I like the taste and use it instead of honey or sugar in some recipes.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    You can try this -- http://www.republicoftea.com/calorie-free-naturally-sweet-tea/p/V02138/. It's really good. Is it the same as the real thing? Nope, but this is no carb/calorie and good old fashioned sweet tea is high in both of those. It is sweet but not in a fakey way some sweeteners can make it taste.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I've eliminated tea and coffee for the same reasons. I could drink sweet tea with lemons by the gallon.
  • stephanielindley422
    Options
    Milos with splenda is the BEST
  • smartyart
    smartyart Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm from the south and I love sweet tea, coolaid, lemonade, etc.. I really do not dig the diet soda or diet anything really. I now drink water and I can tollerate crystal light as too. I started by mixing some cranberry grapejuice into my bottled water.. half/half. After a while, I just went less with the juice. After doing that, the crystal light wasnt not so bad. I just had to use less crystal light than what the packet said becasue it can be quite sweet. I like the fruit punch and lemonade flavor only. I believe oceanspray has a "crystal light" type mix that is cranberry grape and it is pretty good too. Hope this helps.
  • lahlie
    lahlie Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I am so with you girl!! And I have come to this conclusion. I am giving up and making healthier changes in every other aspect of my diet. THIS is the one and only think that I refuse to change. I do not like the change...of any of the other sweetners. I CAN TELL! I figure in the BIG scheme of things, it really is not going to hurt, IF you limit how much you drink AND how often. NOW, if you drink a gallon of sweet tea a day, then yeah, you are shooting yourself in the foot. But, if you limit yourself to ONLY sweet tea at meals (or whatever you choose to treat yourself), then it is ok. I mean, this is about learning healthy eating habits. And training yourself to think and plan healthier. And if a sweet tea at lunch is what you want, then drink one glass, and then drink water.
  • lahlie
    lahlie Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I also have friends who do 1/2 sugar 1/2 splenda to a pitcher of tea. OR start gradually phasing it out.....
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I have found that sweet tea is my habit and addiction! Unsweet tea is NOT an option. I've tried Stevia, Truvia, etc. and it is just plain nasty. I like plain water but I'm having a hard time drinking it plain. I've used real lemons and at least 5 or more Crystal Light mixes. The boxes are taking up so much space in my cabinet. They seem too sweet. I even tried 2 different tea powders. yuck! Any suggestions?

Unsweet tea is an option. I now drink it with no worries or issues. Takes about 10 days. Suck it up and quit drinking sweet tea.

Having worked as a waiter, I know how much sugar goes into making it. Yeah, glad I don't drink it anymore.
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I hear ya loud & clear, Scarlett. Took me a long time, but I now drink Crystal Lite Peach Tea. Not those dumb little single packs. Make a 2 quart pitcher and keep in the fridge. Fill glass with loads of ice and enjoy. Seriously, I do love it now. :drinker:
  • juju426
    Options
    I am so addicted to sweet tea. Now I make the tea, but I put 2-3 table spoons of Agave syrup in it and it cuts half the calories of sugar and your body digests it as metabolized energy and not like sugar does. Try it.
  • OokiiHeart
    OokiiHeart Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Oh My, I do feel your pain. It's been 3 months since I've drank sweet tea, at all. I was majorly addicted to, and it was HARD to give up. I found I was just too picky about my tea, and if I couldn't have it with sugar, I didn't want it. I did try all the alternate sweeteners, but they were nasty. I did find that Splenda was the one that I could tolerate more than any others. In fact Splenda is my go to, instead of sugar for lots of other things now. Oh, I also tried Necta Sweet Saccharin tablets, and cut the sugar by half. It's the way it's still made in our house, because the kids drink tea.

After logging my tea everyday, I saw how it was eating up calories, it just became a choice, a HARD one.. I gave it up completely. I've yet to find anything to flavor the water that I like, so I just drink water, filtered, cold with ice and with a lemon. I also started using a straw, I don't know why but it makes the water taste better.

I guess I don't have real answers, but I feel your pain. I never thought I would give up my favorite drink, I had sweet tea running in my veins. I don't miss it at all anymore.
  • frygirl01
    frygirl01 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I used to be rediculous with McDonald's sweet tea. I switched to unsweet tea and now I like it better.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I am so addicted to sweet tea. Now I make the tea, but I put 2-3 table spoons of Agave syrup in it and it cuts half the calories of sugar and your body digests it as metabolized energy and not like sugar does. Try it.

Or hey, try unsweet. No sugars. Yeaaaaaaaaaaah!