What is the best time of day to get exercise in?

Options
I am in school and I have cheerleading practices almost everyday afterward. I come home and eat dinner, by that time it's usually around 6! What time should I decide to get a work out in ?

Replies

• Gshields42
    Options
    The best time to work out is when you can work out. Beyond that, it doesn't matter.

I've seen people say that working out in the morning is better, or in the evening, or a number of other cockamamie theories. The truth is that everyone is different, and it is up to you to figure out what is best for you.

I'm a night owl and can't stand the morning, even when I get to sleep early enough that it isn't a problem. You won't see me in the gym in the morning. Just doesn't suit me or my temperment. Going in the evening is better for my temperment, schedule, and personality. For you it might be the same, reversed, or something completely different. Do whatever works for you.
  • beautyreaps
    Options
    Exactly what Gshields42 said.

It varies from person to person based on circadian rhythms (your body's clock). Everyone is different. So, when do you feel most energetic? If you're a night owl, then workout at night. If you're a morning person, then do so in the morning. Generally, the best time is the afternoon, because that's the peak rhythm for most people.
  • paigecoops
    Options
    i agree but if you can make time for it, its really good to workout in the evening. it's a lot harder because you are usually really tired but you end up burning more calories while you are sleeping and you won't feel as hungry afterwards so you won't have time to big out. it's always good to have an apple and stay hydrated afterwards. but often times when people workout in the morning, you end up feeling you it's ok to eat unhealthier or to consume more than what you should if you're trying to lose weight. however, you will be hungry the following morning so definitely eat a well balanced breakfast that'll give you protein such as egg whites and a piece of toast with peanut butter!
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity, wouldn't cheerleading practice be considered a workout?
  • Amy_nz
    Amy_nz Posts: 145
    Options
    I go to the gym first thing in the morning. I hate exercise, I really do, and if I leave it until the afternoon I'll come up with some creative excuses why I can't go to the gym that day. If I go in the morning then I don't have time to think of something creative.

I find as well that it means that I'm less likely to overindulge later in the day. I hate exercising, it's hard. I don't want to waste my exercisey calories on something that I'm not going to REALLY get something out of. (I try to avoid empty calories, so I'll choose, for example, avocado instead of a chocolate bar.) So by going in the morning I'm more careful about what I choose to eat during the day. So far so good!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity, wouldn't cheerleading practice be considered a workout?

That's what I was thinking. The Cheer Team at my YMCA was running laps this evening.

Anway, to the OT, whenever you can get it in. Morning, Lunch, Evening, before I go to bed. Whenever, just depends on the schedule.
  • sierradawn27
    Options
    Not really much of one to be honest, I wish we did more. Cheerleading that is.