Lose weight without exercise?

I work 6 days a week and it's really difficult to go to the gym now-a-days. I'm still going to try my hardest to go, but is it possible to lose weight without hitting the gym?

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Most certainly. Your calorie deficit control weight loss. Exercise is for strength and fitness. They are two separate things.
  • RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    Yes it is possible. It'll be slower progress and you'll probably lose muscle along the way. It's best to balance diet and exercise. You can always get some workout dvd's and do them at home. Jillian Michael's 30 day shred is only a 20 minute video, I think everyone can make time for 20 minutes of exercise at home.
  • Sharian2012
    Sharian2012 Posts: 13 Member
    For me it has been. I have been cutting back and counting calories for almost 3 weeks now. I just started exercising this past Monday. But before exercising I had lost 6lbs with just eating right and staying under my calories. It is possible but I think it will just take longer.
  • captainlindarg
    captainlindarg Posts: 229 Member
    You can definitely do it, but exercise will speed up the process!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    It's very possible to lose weight without exercise. As far as overall fitness-- exercise combined with diet is best.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Yes, absolutely. Calorie deficit = weight loss. You can create a deficit with no exercise, just by eating less. However, exercise is good for other reasons - being stronger, more lean muscle mass, better cardiovascular fitness, good for depression etc. etc. I could go on... Also exercise makes it much easier for foodies like me to create a deficit :P
  • julie781
    julie781 Posts: 221 Member
    Try jillian Michaels 30 day shred, it only takes 20 minutes!
  • Sharian2012
    Sharian2012 Posts: 13 Member
    So true! I have school and a baby and The 30 Day Shred is the only workout I have time for.
  • ComeAroundSundown
    ComeAroundSundown Posts: 69 Member
    In simplicity, all you need to lose weight is a caloric deficit. Whether you get that through eating less calories or working out to create a deficit doesn't (seem to) matter. MFP already sets you up with a deficit when you choose the "lose [enter amount of weight here]" option. I lost my first 10 pounds without exercise, and now only exercise a few times a week, (that's if I have time). Good luck !
  • downtownstazi
    downtownstazi Posts: 143 Member
    Try to fit exercise in at work. Take the stairs, do squats at your desk, do laps around the office. If you walk around a lot at work, PERFECT. Standing all day burns calories more than sitting all day.
    I hope this helped!
  • You can get very creative in walking- around your house, up the stairs- running if you're up to it- and parking as far away as you can, and walking the shopping cart ALL THE WAY BACK INTO THE STORE....and if you don't care what anyone thinks....Jog with it and then jog back to your car when you're done......

Can you *guess* what I do? Works for me......and as long as you're losing slowly ( opt for less pounds per week maybe?)
    you won't lose the muscle tone....
  • omgzstef
    omgzstef Posts: 157
    Awesome.. Thanks guys! Definitely going to try out the 30DS! :)
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    It's mostly diet so you'll be ok as long as you eat less than your body burns :)

If you want to do *some* exercise then try finding exercises you can do at home with minimal setup like push ups and skip-rope.
  • JustLindaLou
    JustLindaLou Posts: 376 Member
    I definitely recommend getting some strength training in there to help build some lean muscle - it takes up less room that fat, burns more calories, and will help you maintain better fitness levels as you get older. Take it from me, now 47 and have done the yo-yo dieting for so many years, very little quality muscle on this bod, makes it harder to lose weight this (final) time around. Best of luck to you.
  • devinko
    devinko Posts: 4 Member
    It can be done, but exercise makes it so much easier. May I suggest you wake up 30 minutes earlier each day and use that time for exercise.
  • superdrood
    superdrood Posts: 129 Member
    Possible yes, but it's much tougher to maintain a deficit for long periods that way. I would recommend that you find time, even if it's only for 15 minutes a day. As you get leaner and fitter you just might start to really look forward to your exercises and make even more time for them. That's what happened to me at least.

Best of luck :)