NEED TO FILL CALORIES......Is fruit ok???????????????

Options
Hi everyone!

I need to fill up some calories for the day but I am already slightly over in fat.

I just don't feel like veggies this evening. But I love fruit. So, I am thinking of making my fruit ice cream (which is just blended frozen fruit with skim milk) and some fresh pineapple. No fat (obviously) but added calories. This will be a lot of fruit and all in one sitting. LOL Which I don't mind. But...I have heard some bad things about eating a whole bunch of fruit because of sugar.

Will I be spiking my insulin levels, or any levels, and store fat by eating lots of fruit?
I know this may be a stupid question and if so I apologize but I want to make sure I'm in the clear. :)

Thanks so much!!! :D

*** Just want to add that I am going to drink some of my Jillian Michaels Protein Powder so I get 19g. A lot of you referred to protein levels. :)

Replies

• juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    If it were me - I'd eat protein first, then green veggies with butter second....fruit would come in third. Stay low carb in my book!

Best!
  • stephanielindley422
    Options
    If it were me - I'd eat protein first, then green veggies with butter second....fruit would come in third. Stay low carb in my book!

Best!

Yup
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Good question...usually fruit is a much better option than, lets say...chocolate cake. As for later in the evening, not sure. I usually eat my "late snack" some time after 9pm, right after I tuck my kids to bed and it generally is some kind of Skinny Cow ice cream or a frozen fruit pop. Hasn't had any negative effects on me so far!
  • lilbuddytatertot
    lilbuddytatertot Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    im no nutritionist, but i dont think too much fruit is going to ever hurt.. i have never heard of anyone get fat from eating too many apples and oranges
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I love fruit. Its way better than candy bars =]
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    you should be getting a lot more protein in your diet. a lot more. like, nine times the amount you got in today. try quinoa!!
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :happy: You will probably get a different answer from everyone who responds to this.
    Personally, if all my counts--especially Protein--were in range, I would just go for the Fruit and enjoy it---providing you are not diabetic.
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,183 Member
    Options
    I think it should be okay, unless your body is sensitive to carbohydrates. True, my diabetic sister says eating a bit of protein with her carb intensive foods helps stabilize her blood sugar. The milk should help with that, I would guess.
  • xtinalovexo
    xtinalovexo Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I like to fill in the calories with vodka.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    If fruit is what you want, then that's what you should have! I think that if you are craving something, and not wanting something else, it doesn't matter what kind of food it is as long as it fits your calories.

It's not like you're asking us if it's ok to eat broken glass.

Eat the fruit and enjoy it!
  • chubbybunnee
    chubbybunnee Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I was told that eating sugar from fruit is digested differently then cane sugar and artificial sugars and is better for you as long as it's in less quantity. I always drink a homemade fruit smoothie with protein powder, and almond milk. The mornings I do this, I am usually over on my sugars, but my trainer and nutritionist told me it was ok as long as it was the only sugars I was taking in. You don't want to go on a fruit binge, and want to avoid pineapple because thats a lot more sugar compared to other fruits, but fruits like apples and pears are ideal. That is just what they have told me. I am still losing weight drinking my smoothies, so it has been working for me and keeping me full from 9 am until I get out of the gym at 1. Veggies of course are always first choice, but having an apple, or banana won't hurt you. I add a cup of strawberries and a small banana to the almond milk, ice,and protein powder and its a sweet treat :)
  • amysala85
    Options
    I have 800 calories to fill, I ate like a pig today and entered everything in... its nuts,,, I dont think I could fit any more in... I stuffed on veggies mostly.
  • AngieOnTheBeach
    AngieOnTheBeach Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    im no nutritionist, but i dont think too much fruit is going to ever hurt.. i have never heard of anyone get fat from eating too many apples and oranges

I have! Aha, I think on Dr. Phil or someone, this girl ate a whole bag of apples for breakfast every morning and didn't understand why she wasn't losing weight.
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    But how can I eat protein without any fat? Any suggestions?
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I make my 'ice cream' with protein powder--I put frozen fruit and powder with a little water (you could put milk in--I use water to conserve calories), and I blend it with an immersion blender so it's thick enough for my spoon to stand up in! It's just like frozen yogurt... yummm, I have it almost every night (except for tonight!). Have a piece of cheese with an apple.... in other words, cut down on the amount of fruit with a portion of protein... good balance....
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Yes as long as it fits your macros.
  • amandavictoria80
    Options
    you should be getting a lot more protein in your diet. a lot more. like, nine times the amount you got in today. try quinoa!!

I usually do get lots of protein. And I'm only under by 11g today.
    But I didn't want to go higher on my fat and carbs just to get more protein.
  • dr_tina
    dr_tina Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I have this problem some days as well and I go for peanut butter or sunbutter (made with sunflower seeds). I have just put more nuts and avocado in my diet to increase teh calories more because these are good fats. Also can have some 2% milk.
  • amandavictoria80
    Options
    I make my 'ice cream' with protein powder--I put frozen fruit and powder with a little water (you could put milk in--I use water to conserve calories), and I blend it with an immersion blender so it's thick enough for my spoon to stand up in! It's just like frozen yogurt... yummm, I have it almost every night (except for tonight!). Have a piece of cheese with an apple.... in other words, cut down on the amount of fruit with a portion of protein... good balance....

I just can't put my protein powder in. It would ruin it. I practically gag when I do have to drink my protein. :(

And cheese contains too much fat for me.
  • peterscr7
    Options
    Try protein powder.