planned splurges

Options
dr_tina
dr_tina Posts: 225 Member
So now that it will be 2 weeks of much better habits (eating and exercise), I feel like that I need to work on splurge meals occasionally so I can stick with this and not derail. I am curious about what works for other people (e.g. how much, how often). I am sure if it is too excessive or too often it would sabotoge the goals, and also increase risk of going downhill. On the other hand, I think to make it a long term change, you have to eat some of the things you want at times. I do eat chocolate (small amount) daily, and I have one drink on weekend nights, but this falls in my calorie allotment. However, I am talking more about splurge meals, such as restraunts/meals you like. What does everyone else do???

Replies

• dr_tina
    Options
    bump
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I did once a week where I just ate whatever I felt like for one meal. I tried to behave or eat very small snacks during the day and then usually did a good burst of exercise and went for a date night with hubster. But really it's up to you. I hear that 3 out of 21 meals is fine. Never ever put yourself in a situation where what you're eating will derail you. You need to make sure you can stop without wanting more and more and more. :)
  • havalinaaa
    havalinaaa Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    When I have a 'bonus' day, I let myself go to maintenance or maybe even 250 above. If I only do that every now and then, it's not going to slow my weight loss and it's not going to be so much food that my stomach stretches and I'm starving for more the next day. I still try to be mindful of what I'm eating, just not worry about every little calorie. I don't do it on any sort of a schedule like some people do, just when I feel I need to or an 'event' happens - party, date with the boyfriend, spontaneous picnics... I just try to not have more than one a week/three a month.

There are days when I don't count at all - like Christmas and my birthday, but those are only a few times a year.
  • dr_tina
    Options
    sounds good, that was my thought too. I was thinking about allowing myself to go out to eat and eat more that I want every other Saturday, but offsetting this with additional exercise that day. But of course not going off teh deep end with it and trying to be somewhat conscious of what foods may lead to additional cravings in the days to follow. Unfortunately, french fries and coke are my two BIG issues, always have been. I can pass on the sweets anyday. I cannot believe it has been a week and a half since I had a coke!
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I've had pizza once a week for the past 3 weeks and still am dropping 1-2lbs per week. I make sure to workout that day beforehand and eat 2-3 pieces and some veggies with it. I am actually still in my calorie goal for the day usually, but fat is a little over. I guess that isn't a huge splurge then, lol.
  • MeanJeanNS
    MeanJeanNS Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was out for Japanese last night with friends. I looked-up all of the menu items I enjoy and checked fat/calories/carbs. Decided in advance what was best to eat and added to my food diary. I knew what I could safely eat - and enjoyed the meal entirely knowing I wasn't splurging too much. Planning in advance seems to be the only thing that saves me!
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Once a week I eat whatever and however I want to and not worry about it for a whole day. I've been consistently losing weight. I think it's important to let yourself have that spike day. I've never had trouble with cravings after the days after the spike, but I do notice that towards the end of the week (my spike day is typically Saturday) I really begin thinking about what I'm going to have for my spike day. This week I want BBQ with sweet potato tots....oh yummmm
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    had a splurge meal for my mom's birthday dinner tonight.

ate light breakfast, doubled exercise, and skipped lunch; same as i do on holidays. was still under my calorie goal, but can't help but feel a little guilty about a meal that big.
  • loftus2005
    Options
    I splurge every once and awhile. It makes me feel like Im not depriving myself. I do find though the day after is hard for me because I still want the stuff that is less than healthy... I dunno!!! I've lost consistantly though and I definetly don't feel like Im going to derail!!! =)