Anyone here on a high protein diet?

Options
I glanced at the food diaries of some of my friends, and I noticed most people aren't worried about protein. Which is absolutely fine, there's nothing wrong with that, but I'm lifting heavy, so I'm eating a massive amount of protein (150-200g a day, usually). Anyone else doing the same? If so, feel free to add me. Hell, even if you're not doing the same, feel free to add me as well.

Replies

• CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    A lot of people think that every number MFP gives them is a limit they are supposed to stay under. Many don't realize that some items are customizable for personal preferences and differing fitness and nutritional goals.
  • Dymas
    Dymas Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    A lot of people think that every number MFP gives them is a limit they are supposed to stay under. Many don't realize that some items are customizable for personal preferences and differing fitness and nutritional goals.
    That's true. My daily goal for protein is 74g, but today I had 232g, way over my limit.

I don't blame people for not eating much protein though. If I wasn't lifting weights, I wouldn't eat half as much protein as I do. It'd be nice to have more flexibility (MORE CARBS!), but it's whatever.
  • Thulpa
    Thulpa Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am on a high protein diet, If you are lifting weights, and are a guy, about 1g per lb of current body weight is good. As you lose weight you can adjust, also go with what feels right, while protein is a macro nutrient, different sources digest differently. Kale, beans and nuts digests quicker than Whey, Eggs or animal meat. Depending on when you workout, I would have lighter sources earlier and heavier sources later.

Feed your time of day, Faster digesting for pre, during, and post workout times, Slower/heavier before you go to sleep.
  • Dymas
    Options
    I am on a high protein diet, If you are lifting weights, and are a guy, about 1g per lb of current body weight is good. As you lose weight you can adjust, also go with what feels right, while protein is a macro nutrient, different sources digest differently. Kale, beans and nuts digests quicker than Whey, Eggs or animal meat. Depending on when you workout, I would have lighter sources earlier and heavier sources later.

Feed your time of day, Faster digesting for pre, during, and post workout times, Slower/heavier before you go to sleep.
    Sent you a request. Although I'm sure our diets are completely different, since you're vegan. Some days I'll eat up to two pounds of chicken in one meal, which I'm sure is the opposite of what you eat haha.
  • cacrat
    cacrat Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I consider my diet a standard protein diet. I eat at least 1g/lb daily and diet days usually 1.5g/lb. There are reasons for this that I've posted before and I care not to go into right now. But to say the least, you're not a high protein diet. Once you get closer to 2g/lb then that's getting higher.

EDIT: You can change your daily goals by going into the goals setting on your diary.
  • Dymas
    Options
    I consider my diet a standard protein diet. I eat at least 1g/lb daily and diet days usually 1.5g/lb. There are reasons for this that I've posted before and I care not to go into right now. But to say the least, you're not a high protein diet. Once you get closer to 2g/lb then that's getting higher.

EDIT: You can change your daily goals by going into the goals setting on your diary.
    Higher than the average person, yeah I'm on a high protein diet. Compared to someone else who lifts, the amount of protein I eat is probably average.

2g/lb would be nuts, my macros would be like 80/10/10.
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I am supposed to have about 100 gms of protein a day, but I just can't get that much in. I usually get around 65.
  • Thulpa
    Thulpa Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Set your Macros to 40/30/30. That is what is recommended everywhere I have looked. I do not judge if you have up to 2 lbs of Chicken, last I checked there was only one judge, that being said, I can definitely help you with other sources of protein and different staples, so you are not sitting in front of a small pile of bones.

Some of my favorite foods are Walnuts, Hemp seeds, Flax seeds, tofu. There is a lot out there, I will adjust my Macros, thanks Cacrat
  • cacrat
    cacrat Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Don't set macros on a ratio basis. 40/30/30, 33/33/33, 100/0/0 whatever should only be a side effect of the diet. Protein needs to be set based upon weight and goals. Then, based on goals, set the carbs and fats.