Zumba?

Options
So I just posed this question with some of my friends. I tried Zumba for the first time tonight and I know I'll be sore tomorrow. My sister and I did 45 minutes....according to the Zumba website, I burned 506ish calories. Does this sound right? I know I'm using more muscles than with my C210K workout, but it feels .... easier...somehow. Does it really burn more calories? Anyone else with experience?

BTW - My kids were hysterically laughing the entire time. Rotten boys...... :)

Replies

• thitch2013
    Options
    yup yup an hour of zumba is about 500 calories burned .....its amazin and sooooo much fun !!!!
  • chatnel
    chatnel Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    keen to try Zumba. What type of shoes are good to wear for zumba?
  • lyssamichelle
    lyssamichelle Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    I do zumba three times a week. I just wear my gym shoes.. Never really knew how many calories it burns.. But it sure feels like a lot. Lol (:
    One of the best work outs I get.
  • snewsome7
    snewsome7 Posts: 189
    Options
    My guess as to why it seems easier is because you are having fun! I did Zumba tonight as well :]
  • Twitchy109
    Options
    The more you swing your hips, the more calories you burn and inches you lose. :)
  • mrsvatitagain
    mrsvatitagain Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Sounds about right it also goes by your weight. The more you weigh the more you burn, the less you weigh the harder you have to work in the same time to burn at higher caloric rate....you will notice as you lose you burn less for the same exercise... :O) Glad you enjoyed the class, I love ZUMBA!!
  • chell53
    chell53 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Haven't tried it yet, but my first class starts January 23rd.....I can't wait.......
  • HealthyEscape
    Options
    I just got home from zumba class, and according to my heart rate monitor (HRM) I burned 553 calories in 60 minutes. This is right since I know I didnt give 100% tonight (hello0000.... I did 30 minutes of belly, butt and thigh class followed by 30 minutes of TRX suspension training and then an hour of zumba. I was exhausted lol

But, getting back to point, I am 5'6 and weigh 245lbs. In a normal 60 minutes class, i burn from 500-700 calories depending on how much I put into it.
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,494 Member
    Options
    Laugh along WITH your boys, you'll burn even more!:laugh:
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    It all depends on your weight and fitness level. I burn about 400 in an hour.
  • carolww
    carolww Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Who knows how many calories it is... the only way you know for sure is with a HRM. I normally just put it down in MFP as 45 minutes of aerobic dancing... about 300 I think..
  • MunchkinHawk12
    MunchkinHawk12 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I do Zumba 4 times a week and I love it! I will eventually get certified but kind of scared to! I love to dance. I have a ghetto heart rate monitor and it says I burn 400 calories. When I use the elliptical and the machine says I burned 500 calories and the HRM says I only burned about 300 so I am sure I burn around 600-700 but until I get a Body Media, I am not too sure! I sweat like no other so I am probably burning the 600-700.
  • krinlox
    Options
    I do aqua zumba and love it...not sure if the water helps me burn more than 500, but I'd be happy with 500 calories/hour...
  • shnazzy
    shnazzy Posts: 213
    Options
    i have been doing zumba for past few months now sounds right to me , i love it doesnt feel like excercise :)
  • mrsbarber2011
    Options
    depends on the intensity. Normally the instructor measures ours and today it was 600-700 callories burned in 60 minutes
  • cosmicrelief
    cosmicrelief Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Chatnel- for a class I wear runners but at home I do it barefoot.
  • emilyrosedye
    Options
    I love Zumba! I just started classes and go twice a week as well as playing it on the Wii at home. Love that it just feels like going to a night club but without the hangover and cost that a night club entails! I cant wait till I start seeing some results on my belly. I do enough bum shaking and hip swaying in the class that I should see something soon!
  • chatnel
    chatnel Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Sounds right up my alley, I am going to go next week.

Do most people go to proper classes or the gym variety?