Are the first 10 lbs the easiest?

As a resolution for the new year, I decided to drop 30 lbs. I've been working out 5 times a week for the last two weeks and surprisingly, I have lost 10 lbs. even though dropping that much weight isn't healthy, I'm assuming it was mostly water weight. My question to others is this, after losing the first 10 lbs or water weight, does weight loss get harder? I have found myself beginning to level off and stay at a certain weight. I may lose 1 to 2 pounds here or there but for the most part, I am maintaining rather than losing. Its starting to become very frustrating and rather discouraging. Does anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions?

Replies

• TMLPatrick
    TMLPatrick Posts: 558 Member
    Definitely.... after that it is really doesn't come off much more than a pound a week....
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    big time
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 741 Member
    There is a lot of arguments in favour of changing up your routine. Your body becomes equipped to deal with the same exercises, by changing your routine, your body starts losing weight again.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Yep, I threw up my first 10 pounds basically (couldn't eat for nearly 10 days -- flu not ED) and I don't recommend that at all but the next 10 was similarly easy.

Actually the first 20 were easy. This last 15 has been tougher. (the 10 I sicked up aren't on my tracker)
  • kleavitt1992
    kleavitt1992 Posts: 592 Member
    oh for sure first 20 were easy (for me) then its been a very long and grueling process since
  • Symphony6
    Symphony6 Posts: 116 Member
    Yep, you're not alone AT ALL. First week or two is almost always the best your results will get in the way of quick weight loss. That being said, however, there are other measurements of wellness!! The scale never tells the whole story.
  • ruby_red_rose
    ruby_red_rose Posts: 321 Member
    Yes, it gets harder and harder :(
  • Yep. And the last 10 are the hardest.
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Yeah,,, losing 10 lbs in a couple of weeks is pretty extreme. I can't say it's always "the first 10 lbs", but yes, weight loss slows down over time… mostly because you simply don't have as much to lose! That is to say, when you have "a chunk" of weight to lose at first, even a high-calorie daily goal (e.g. 2000+) may be a significant deficit as to what you were eating. So, you still get to eat quite a bit (at least in my book) and you still lose lots of weight. It's pretty awesome. :happy: But, as you lose weight, that caloric goal isn't as big a deficit as it was previously, so the weight loss slows.

Don't be discouraged… this is the healthy way to lose weight! In this case, the turtle really can win the race!

Another thought… It may be time for you to recalculate your daily goals based on your current weight. You really do need to do this. The stinky part is that your daily caloric/nutritional goals will decrease… meaning you get to eat less, or you will have to exercise more… BUT the effect is to increase the deficit again. If you are "stuck" for more than a couple of weeks, then try this.
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    There is a lot of arguments in favour of changing up your routine. Your body becomes equipped to deal with the same exercises, by changing your routine, your body starts losing weight again.

Oh, and this too. By nature, your body becomes accustomed to "regular" routines… it's like "oh, yeah, whatever, this is easy for me now." I routinely (every 30 days or so) mix up my exercise routines. I mean, I'll still do both strength training and cardio, but I switch up the exact exercises I do. A good "exercise plan" will do that for you.

Best of luck to you!! :flowerforyou:
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    You've only been at it 2 weeks? Don't get frustrated now! It slows down drastically after the initial weight comes off. Keep working out, get plenty of sleep, drink plenty of water, and pay close attention to nutrition - eat as cleanly (non-processed) as you possibly can. It WILL come off, it just takes some time.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,640 Member
    Thats how it was for me, 10 lbs in like a week and then its stayed there for like a month or so and have slowly been going down since then