Crock Pot Receipes

Options
ALHicks
ALHicks Posts: 145
I need help. I want to make healthy Dinners however I work some crazy hours and a lot of times I just pick something up or throw something together. In order to stay successful on my weight loss plan I purchased a very nice programable crock pot. Now I need everyone's help to get some receipes that my husband and kids will enjoy. Thank you all.

Replies

• huffer380
    huffer380 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    if you go to eatingwell.com they have alot of different healthy recipes out there. also, taste of home they now put nutrition infomation on each recipe so you know how many calories your eating per serving.
  • ALHicks
    ALHicks Posts: 145
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I will check out both of those sites.
  • ConnieSG
    ConnieSG Posts: 376
    Options
    Use the search button for crockpot receipes and you will come of with lots of ideas!
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    LOL when I first saw this I thought it said Crack Pot Receipes...carry on :D
  • foxbat2828
    foxbat2828 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Couple of extremely easy ones for meat dishes.

Crockpot Roast - Just about any cut of meat. Try to get a cut that's not too fatty is you are concerned about that, but a little fat will help out in the cooking process. We've had success with this with using cheap chuck cuts as well as varying cuts of round, but you could also splurge on more "expensive" cuts as well depending on your tastes. Works best with "flatter" cuts of meat as opposed to those big hunks of meat that look like a bowling ball. Put in the meat and a packet of Good Seasons Italian Seasoning mix. Cook on low for the whole day; preferably at least 8-10 hours for a piece of meat that's about 3-4 lbs. The meat will end up being "fall off the bone" tender. Depending on your likes/dislikes add veggies toward the end of the cooking cycle. We typically just do meat and potatoes since the kids don't like too many veggies, but we've also snuck in carrots, chopped onions, etc. You could also substitute Lipton Onion Soup mix for the Good Seasons Italian Seasoning mix, but try it with the Good Seasons because you'll be amazed at the flavor you get. For additional taste in the meat, pan sear it just long enough to put a crust on it, then put it in the crockpot. Anything that's leftover can be broken up, refrigerated, and then the next day, add BBQ sauce and make your own pulled beef sandwiches.

Crockpot BBQ Pork - Relatively lean cuts of pork, but you can also use some of the "utility" pork chop cuts from your grocer. You can do it either bone-in or bone out ... in either case, it's going to be tender enough that the bones won't matter if you do bone-in. As with the above recipe for the beef, cook on low in the crockpot ... the longer you leave it in, without letting it dry out, the more tender it will be. For spices, add salt, pepper, and my wife's favorite, rotisserie chicken seasoning. Of course, feel free to add any other spices that you prefer with your pork dishes. When you get about a couple of hours out from serving, add in your favorite BBQ sauce. The meat will come right off of the bone with almost no problem if it's still attached at all by the time that you serve it up. Take any leftover, as above and refrigerate. The next day, use a butcher knife to fine-chop the meat. Add some additional BBQ for that "stickiness," if so desired, and serve on toast or high-fiber hamburger/hotdog buns.

Nice thing about both of these recipes is that they work with all types of varying levels of meat, so you can determine, more or less, the level of calorie base you want in the dish by selecting leaner or fattier cuts depending on your tastes as well as the costs associated with delivering the dish. We've experimented with using cheaper cuts of chuck for the beef and the flavor is still really good even though it's a cheap cut of meat. In the same vein, we've used some center cut boneless loin chops for the BBQ pork, but experimented last lime with the cheap, bone -in utility chops that came bulk from the grocer and the taste was pretty good on those too.
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    One of my most favorite and easiest recipes ever, is a chicken. A whole chicken. Rub with whatever seasonings you like: garlic, pepper, onion powder, etc. Squeeze a lemon over top and put the lemon in the cavity. Turn on low. Let cook, and cook, and cook, and cook... it will literally be fall of the bone tender when you get home.
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I make cacciatore in the crock pot. I use this recipe and throw it all in the crock pot:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/keith-youngs-chicken-cacciatore-recipe/index.html

Also always a huge hit at my house "crock Os" (crock pot chicken tacos)

3 chicken breast (skinless boneless) two packets low sodium organic taco seasoning
    1/5 cup low sodium veggy stock
    in the last hour throw in 1 sliced onion 1 bell pepper and 1/2 bag of trader joes frozen roasted corn
    (you can add 1 can fire roasted tomatoes also, but my kids thought it was too spicy that way). I serve it with broc slaw black beans and limes.

Chicken Marsala in the crock pot
    :
    http://www.food.com/recipe/crock-pot-chicken-marsala-448535
  • Texas501
    Texas501 Posts: 274
    Options
    allrecipes.com
    type in "crock pot" in the search field. I've been looking at it all day. They got real easy ones and complicated gourmet ones.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Crockpot365.com
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I'm making this tonight.

http://www.ochef.com/r182.htm
  • sheepysaccount
    sheepysaccount Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/372359-bring-your-crockpot-slow-cooker-recipes
    ^_^ I had the same question a while back. Still working through all the recipes.
  • MightyMom4
    Options
    Check out SkinnyTaste.Com. Click on Recipes and then Crock Pot Recipes. Her website is Awesome. It has lovely pictures and step by step instructions of everything she makes. The recipes are delicious too!
  • srob636
    srob636 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    There is a recipe swap group too. I joined but haven't really poked around too much. I did see when I opened it the first time there was a crockpot section.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options

I just made this last night! It was amazingly delicious and so healthy too! We make this on average once a week for the family and its helped me to lose 50 lbs!!
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    I made that a while back. It was amazing. :smile: