pasta pasta pasta! 8D

Options
I am fairly decent at portion control with most foods and sweets except pasta. I always eat way too much and the result is a food coma. It's the one food that resists my healthy trend! haha my dinner tonight was whole grain pasta, traditional sauce with fresh oregano,basil and rosemary added, and homemade meatballs. I usually use chicken with this dish but I don't enough meat so I tried to change this. I baked my meatballs too. however, my dinner including a small desert added up to be 1288 calories because of the amount of pasta I ate.

Are there any foods out there that you have as much trouble with in controlling as I do with pasta?

Replies

• robertthesnail
    Options
    I know all about problems with pasta portion control, but my worst is pizza. I could eat a whole large pizza without breaking a sweat. It's just so delicious.
  • KatieCuth
    KatieCuth Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Im the same with pasta so I limit myself... tonight is pasta night Im going to use Angel hair pasta....
  • ComeAroundSundown
    ComeAroundSundown Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Pizza! I could seriously give up anything if I had to, even chocolate :P but not pizza. It's just too delicious :bigsmile:
  • christasteph
    christasteph Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way w pasta! I could eat it every night. I found that by buying the really high-end imported pasta from Italy, like real tagliatelle, it tastes so rich you don't need a lot. Also, I will try to roast a lot of brussel sprouts or broccoli or at least have a giant spinach salad that will fill me up so I am not able to eat the 4 cups of pasta I want. Remember (I have a hard time doing this), that your veggies should be center-plate. Everything else is a side dish. Make your brussel sprouts or whatever veggie you make w your pasta the main filler of your plate, and scoop your yummy pasta on the side. I am good all day long except at dinner. I love pizza as much as I love pasta (had it tonight, in fact!) If I don't plan or start meals early, I eat a lot, and generally poorly. Caprese salads are good w pasta too, and filling, I'll eat 3 sliced tomatoes w fresh basil and normally a tiny bit of mozzarella w s&p and a drizzle of evoo, but I have tried to cut out dairy, so now it's just tomato and basil, and seriously, it fills me up. I eat usually durum/semolina pasta even though it has more calories and isn't whole grain, since I'm indulging, I don't eat as much and it tastes better. I found for really heavy sauces I can use whole grain, otherwise if I just throw in cherry tomatoes, basil, lemon, olive oil, and maybe some parm, it isn't that good, the whole grain flavor is too overpowering. sorry for my diatribe, pasta is seriously my favorite meal ever, so I could go on and on about my experiences :) hope that helps in some weird way
  • christasteph
    christasteph Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I want to try using spaghetti squash as my "angel hair pasta" - have you done it? I know it won't be the same, but many have sworn by it
  • ShrinkingChelle
    Options
    My problem is pasta too!! I love pasta! I always make large portions of foods, so I can have pre made meals in the freezer for lunches and such. Pasta being the exception, I only cook a small portion, if I cook more I will eat more :(
  • robertthesnail
    Options
    I pretty much can't eat pizza without ruining my diet for the day. Me just eating 1 or 2 pieces is just not going to happen. I'm like an alcoholic when it comes to pizza, I CANNOT enjoy in moderation.
  • mego07
    mego07 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Pasta is totally my weakness. I am a very picky eater and do not eat potatoes at all. So pasta becomes my only side dish i eat... well rice too. I have been trying to convince my mom to make the switch to the healthier pasta (whole grain i believe) with me because she is the same way. I could probably eat chicken and pasta for the rest of my life and be happy.
  • teenasbody
    teenasbody Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash is good but nothing like pasta only looks like pasta taste like squash. LOL I LOVE IT!
  • Amineral
    Amineral Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Ive never actually had spaghetti squash but it doesnt sound that appetizing....hahaha I stick to whole grain pasta and pile on fresh oregano, basil and rosemary. buying it fresh and using it that way is so much better than the seasoning in a can and it works amazing with the whole grain pasta cuz i can still taste it. I love pasta and make every variation and form you can think of but usually i try to stick to chicken due to its healthy nature. I made homemade meatballs tonight and the calories sure added up because I ate 7 of them :/ good thing i needed the calories today because with my dinner all together it added to over 1000 calories! hahaha pizza just isnt that addicting to me. sure there are some times I just get a taste for it but thats usually during football season and I want a beer too. they go hand in hand and so I make sure to have "days off" where I choose not to feel guilty about it and tell myself Ill make it up the next day hahahaha

i might try the squash one but ive never even seen it. where do you buy it?

do you guys want to share your favorite recipe on here? I always want to try new stuff...
  • kaytiecakes
    kaytiecakes Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    a meal i cook pretty regularly in my house is spaghetti with italian sausage. but after joining MFP and logging the ingredients, i am utterly disgusted by the amount of food i eat when i would make this meal. we're a family of two so whatever i make we usually split down the middle or i take a litle bit less than half and give husband guy the rest. i was eating 1500 calories in one sitting.. in one freaking bowl, more if i made a bread side like rolls or garlic bread. my BMR is 1575 calories. ew.

that said, i force myself to portion control now. when dishing the pasta onto plates i only take 1/4 and immediately put the rest in a gladware container and put it in the fridge.

i can't stop myself when it comes to taco dip (especially 6 or 7 layer dips, beans cheese, guac, sour cream, salsa, etc) but that's easily fixed by just not buying it anymore. until i'm at a party and someone puts one out. and i have to sit across the room and pretend it's not there.