Anybody ever been referred to as "big-boned"??? Then lost we

Options

Replies

• briocktj
    briocktj Posts: 128
    Options
    Having grown up skinny, (115 even after delivering 3 boys)..... I found it extremely funny when people would say I was big boned.... okay, um.... I wasnt big boned before my 30s when I put all this weight on.... Do bones GROW? LOL
  • Virginia90
    Virginia90 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    So now I'm super confused! I can touch my fingers around my wrist, however when I did the measurement thing, it told me I had a large frame! Lol...So many I have a large frame with long fingers? Though I didn't think my fingers were that long...however, my wrist is 6.25" around....I guess I'll see what frame I really have once I lose all this weight!
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    I sympathize completely. My mom always told me I had big shoulders and was "big boned". I went most of my life feeling much larger then all the other girls even though I really wasn't (other then being fatter). Since I have lost weight and have definition in my shoulders I am actually pretty small and do I dare say, even dainty. I am so much smaller then I ever though I could be.
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    actually its a "myth" there is no such thing as big boned.... look it up on the net....

I think what she means is frame size. You can have a large frame, medium or small. I have a medium frame. No matter how much weight I lose, I would never be able to fit into a 2 or smaller. I can only wear a 4 in dresses and skirts.
  • MsKeri23
    Options
    im what they call big boned also. so when i tell people im fat n need to lose weight they always say no u dont ur jus built bigger . well what does that mean because i everybodies bones r pretty simular right!?!?! lol
  • changling82
    changling82 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I was always told I was big boned. Not sure if it was because they thought i resembled one side of the family and not the other or if it was just because they didn't want to hurt my feelings. I accepted that i was "big boned" for a long time. Now i've dropped 110 pounds of the 140 i wanted to lose, and i can tell you for sure, i'm not big boned at all. I was really surprised to find out how tiny my bone structure actually is.
  • reckless99
    Options
    Yes, it's frame sizes. Google "body frame size" and you'll see that the results usually show that the method for calculating frame size is by measuring the circumference of thr wrist or the breadth of the elbow. I'm borderline small/medium frame size with a 6" wrist and 5'5"1/2 height.
  • sasbw27
    sasbw27 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cherbapp
    cherbapp Posts: 322
    Options
    You actually have to have a bone structure and bone density test if you want an accurate measurement on frame size and true goal weight for your body.

According to the wrist test, my finger overlaps my thumb by over a half inch, but I have incredibly long fingers...so that's useless.

I always liked to say I was big boned, but I am actually a medium size frame according to my doctor...but I have incredibly dense bones, likely from being really overweight for a long time. So my goal weight of 175 is good for me, and even though it's technically overweight for most women at 5'9"...it will be just right. I will look like a similar medium framed woman who weighs 15 pounds less because my bones weigh more than average. Frame size is more in the shoulder width...length of hands and feet, etc.

Intersting thread!! :)
  • bziebart
    bziebart Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Great question. Although most people are saying "Big Boned" to be poliet, there is a body type in which one would be big boned.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/body-types-ectomorph-mesomorph-endomorph.html

All human bodies fit into one of three categories: Ectomorphic, Mesomorphic or Endomorphic.

You're likely endomorphic and regardless of your weight you would likely have a larger frame than say someone of the same weight who is ectomorphic.
  • lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Hmmm I don't know about the wrist thing.. I have lost quite a bit of weight and I have very broad shoulders...yet I can overlap my thumb over my other finger. I also have very long fingers and tiny wrists....who knows...
  • All4Tris
    All4Tris Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I've always been referred to as big-boned.... and it's true. After losing 35+ lbs... I still have a rather large frame... slim but, large.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    while the wrist thing is kinda-sorta right for the average person.. if you're significantly overweight you'll always seem big doing it because of the fat on your arm... also if you do alot of forearm exercises or any job that works your grip strength, it will also seem "big boned".. simply from the additional "build" there.

so dont put alot of stock into it.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Great question. Although most people are saying "Big Boned" to be poliet, there is a body type in which one would be big boned.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/body-types-ectomorph-mesomorph-endomorph.html

All human bodies fit into one of three categories: Ectomorphic, Mesomorphic or Endomorphic.

You're likely endomorphic and regardless of your weight you would likely have a larger frame than say someone of the same weight who is ectomorphic.

If that article had any credible sources besides "I read this in a magazine" I'd be a bit more inclined to consider it. Otherwise, it sounds like a complete crock. There is no physiological explanation provided for these "types."
  • wijac10
    wijac10 Posts: 47
    Options
    mmm i can touch my pinkie and thumb around my wrist.. now what am i? (actually, they overlap)
  • ma34113
    ma34113 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    what if you have rlly big hands (long fingers) lol does it matter or make a difference?
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options

I skimmed that article. It doesn't cite any references, it was written by the owner of that website who has "5 years experience in training, nutrition and supplements". It doesn't say anything about him having any qualifications.

It's not exactly a very credible source of information.
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    For reference, i'm a 5 foot 6 female. I was always told I was big boned after I had children, even though I had never been very big before having them. After having baby #5 and hitting about 190 pounds, my highest weight, I decided to start getting the baby weight off...again. (each time I got it off before I got pregnant again before I even hit my goal. lol.) I remember my family telling me "Don't lose too much, you'll look unhealthy". I set my first goal at around 155, it was the weight I would be at a healthy BMI. When I got there I realized I could lose more and still look healthy. I got down to between 140 and 145, and felt great-and everyone told me I looked great-except for my family-they said I was "too small" and that my collarbones were "sticking out". I don't know about the frame size thing, I agree with the poster who said that if you're significantly overweight your wrists are obviously going to be bigger than they would be at a healthy weight. even at my highest weight my fingers overlapped my wrists when measuring that way and at my goal weight I had to order a specially sized ring for my engagement because the store didn't carry my ring size: 3.5. I do think it's possible to have small hands/wrists, and not necessarily be a teeny person, and vice versa.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I am big boned. I have big hands and big feet. (I'm 5 foot 8, with UK size 9, US 11 feet, and my hands are huge). I don't mind about the hands - gives me a good reach for the guitar, and they're a nice elegant shape. Could do without the feet.

When I'm slim, my build is athletic, but with big boobs, - a kind of healthy looking hourglass. This, I believe, is the best of all possible worlds! :-)
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    A quick Google search leads me to this: http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/553976/somatotype?anchor=ref73402

The somatotypes were invented by a psychologist who is generally considered to be a "pop-psychologist." The three types were named after the three types of germ layers in a developing fetus. He created these body types to explain psychological, not physiological characteristics.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!