Beans Beans their good for your heart the more you eat the m

Options
NeverGivesUp
NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
Ok, my friend Paula and I were chatting about how great beans are for fiber and protein. Does anyone have any yummy lo cal recipies? I am making kidney beans tonight, I have mushrooms and carrots and onions. Trying to avoid rice if possible. Any ideas?? Let's include all beans in these recipies. It would aslo be nice to keep the recipes as simple and quck as possible. I have been soaking the beans overnight. Let's toot away together ;).

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    I love beans in passata, with a bit of garlic, salt and olive oil, as a side dish.

Or ribollita, or tuscan bean stew, with beans, cavolo nero, tomato, onion and garlic.
  • mahnazy
    mahnazy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I usually boil beans/lentils in water and add some spices, garlic, chilli and serve with brown rice or on it's own as a thick soup. No need to add oil either.
  • jotapaula
    jotapaula Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Many people don't add beans to their diets because when you look straight at the calorie content, it is not low. What many don't realize is that beans is a great source of protein + fiber, which means it is a food that will keep you feeling full longer. And if it means after eating a meal with beans, it keeps you away from a jar of cookies, the calories are not so bad afterall :-)

I found this recipe online that teaches step by step how to prepare Brazilian-style beans: http://www.cucabrazuca.com/barbecue-churrasco-poultry-meat/feijao-brazilian-black-beans/ - the only thing I do differently is: I soak the beans overnight, I don't use the same water, and I add 1 tomato to it. The same recipe can be used when making brown beans.
  • jotapaula
    Options
    ops, posted twice
  • jotapaula
    Options
    Chicken and beans soup with veggies

You need a pressure cooker

1 kg - raw brown beans
    2 large carrots
    400 grams potatoes
    2 liters water
    6 tomatos or, 2 tomatoes and 1 can of chopped tomatoes
    1 to 2 bouillon - chicken flavor
    bay leaves
    1 onion
    4 cloves of garlic
    1 chilli
    fresh parsley
    some celery
    1 squash

Soak the beans in water for at least 3 hours, in lots of water because they will increase in size. Then remove the beans from that water.

Add a tiny bit of oil to the pressure cooker and quickly braise the chicken chopped in small pieces. Remove the chicken and keep it for later. don't wash the pressure cooker.

Add to the pressure cooker: 2 liters of water, the soaked beans, 2 tomatoes chopped in small pieces. Once you feel the pressure cooker is in full speed, cook for 20 minutes.

Open it up slowly, and if the beans are hard, cook a little bit more. Ideally the beans are almost done at this stage - then you add the vegetables chopped in small pieces, the braised chicken, as well as the bay leaves and the bouillon (the cubes of bouillon, no extra water). Add salt.

Taste and add more salt if needed, adjust any bouillon/water. Add fresh parsley to each bowl when serving. The soup should be like a "stew".

This soup can be frozen - I freeze them in enough quantity that it serves 1 bowl for 2 people... this way I don't get tired of it...

Can be done without any meat, or with steak as well.
  • jotapaula
    Options
    I keep making variations of the soup above (without meat, steak instead of chicken, barbecued chicken, etc). It really makes me feel full with just one bowl.
  • ooshlet
    ooshlet Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    fasolada is a wonderful greek bean stew

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/7479/fasolada.aspx

i add some cinnamon too
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    that looks yummy Paula, I am going to try that with kidney beans tonight. The first recipe I mean and I am going to add carrots and spinach to it.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    The thing about beans is, you don't need very many. Add a handful of cooked beans to a vegetable soup, curry or stew and something that would have left you hungry again an hour later fills you up for hours, for probably only an extra 50 - 100 calories.
  • Wendyp2011
    Options
    Some great ideas with beans. I must confess to not using raw beans to cook with at all. I tend to use tinned beans. I also love chick peas. I shall try the chicken and beans soup and also the beans with garlic as a side dish but maybe have salad with it as a main. Mmmmm.
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    raw beans are the best and healthiest I believe. It is so easy if you plan just a little bit. Soak them overnight and the next day you can cook away. Hummus is also super yummy but I think it is a bit fattening. You can soak the garbanzo beans. You could probably do a really low calorie one by ommitting the tahini and the olive oil. Garlic and chick peas with lemon mmmm.
  • babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Chickpeas,& eggplant,garlic,lemon juice,(your spices)us another Great One,Staple,changeable,to Morrocan (yum)Greek. .You name it.Fun /Healthy/Tasty.:tongue::indifferent: :flowerforyou:
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    this is what I did
    soaked a small bag of kidney beans overnight
    cut a red onion
    chopped 5 cloves of garlic,
    sliced 3 carrots
    handful of spinach
    about 8 mushrooms
    grill salt to taste

cooked the beans seperately
    cooked the veggies in a wok and then added the beans. The kids loooooved it and it was super healthy and yummy. The kids even wanted me to put it in their lunch today :).
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    now I am soaking garbanzo beans and will fry up some garlic and add it with lemon to the garbanzo beans. It will be like hummus without all the fat. mmmm, looking forward to trying that.