Tingling toes on the elliptical???

Options

Replies

• Ashalena
    Ashalena Posts: 162
    Options
    Yep. Ive had this happen. I've even bought a new pair of shoes, thinking my shoes didn't fit right.

I learned it's the way I was distributing my weight. (this is hard to explain)

When i was pressing the foot pedals on the elliptical, I was pressing with the ball of my foot. When I realized to stand on the pedals evenly, (heels never coming off of the pedal) my feet stopped going numb.
  • Bailey543
    Bailey543 Posts: 375
    Options
    Happened to me and I changed my shoes to a good shoe. As soon as I changed from Nike to Asics, the problem was gone.
  • coe28
    coe28 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Mine does it too after about 15 minutes. From the ball of my foot to the tip of my toes. I've only just started doing long times on the elliptical so it's only happened twice, but yeah, it happens!
  • hollisrn76
    Options
    YES! It has gotten better the more I do it but it used to happen all the time! You are not the only one! Maybe we are putting too much pressure on the top of our feet/toes.
  • ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Options
    Its caused by pressure on the front of your feet (toes). Try not to put so much pressure in this area. Also, shoes can have a lot to do with it, might look at getting different shoes. And shift your feet around on the pedals, don't keep them in the same spot for the full workout.

My wife has this problem on the elliptical and she found that by using the elliptical barefoot she doesn't have the problem as much. Probably a combination of her shoes and the pressure she was putting down on the front of her feet. Easier not to apply this pressure when barefoot. Course I'd only go barefoot on your personal machine, not at the gym!
  • Dethea
    Dethea Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too! Except also, when I walk sometimes I get terrible pain in my arches that goes across to the outer edge of my feet. I thought it was because I wear flats most of the day at work. I have to stand a lot, and dress business casual so they are the most comfy dress shoes I have found. I'm guessing it's probably the way I distribute my weight, from what I've read here.

Can anyone describe in detail how to walk/run so that this doesn't happen? I'm really bad with visualizing things!
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I also have this problem, pretty much every time I workout. It either tingles or feels really hot. My elliptical at home as an option to change the angle of the foot rests on it. If you're able, try experimenting with this and see if it helps.

Shannon
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    As others have said, it's putting the weight on the balls of your feet for too long. If you make a conscious effort to distribute the weight evenly from heel to toe, you won't have this problem. Or, you can switch to 10 minutes pedaling forward, 1 minute backward, repeat.

You can search this topic; it's been brought up before.
  • Tribbey143
    Tribbey143 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Push with your heels back straight!
  • milgirl77
    Options
    It happens to me to. I've found that if I use my entire foot and not just my forefoot, the tingling goes away.
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteousreused
    Options
    Happens to me every time too. I started loosening the shoestrings a bit and it helped a little.
  • BeachLife76
    BeachLife76 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Glad to see I'm not the only one with this issue lol. I have this happen all the time as well! Lots of good information from others on here!
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Happens to me all the time, not worried about because in a couple of months, when the weather starts to get a little warmer, I'll be outside running
  • StrengthInPain
    StrengthInPain Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    The reason it happens is because of the CONSISTENT pressure on the ball of your foot. Since you don't get much of a chance to actually lift your feet off and your whole body weight is mostly on that point, it compresses the nerves in that area and causes your foot to feel like it fell asleep.
    You can try occasionally shifting your weight to your heels for a few minutes and lift your toes up off the pedals, then switch back again.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Couldn't agree more.. A lot of people think it comes from impaired circulation, but it's actually nerve compression. It happens to me as well, especially since i sprained my ankle and am on the elliptical since i CAN'T move my foot a lot. Shifting weight always seems to help me. I think people tend to put more weight on the front of their foot because they lean forward more on the elliptical.
  • thejessjones
    thejessjones Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Yes, it happens to me too. If you consciously try to lift weight off your higher foot (but not take it entirely off/out of the pedal), it seems to relieve it somewhat. It seems to give it just enough room to allow blood to circulate around your toes.
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I read an article the other day that this happens because we are using the pressure from the front of our feet instead of the back. Not only will it eliminate the tingling it will be a better work out for your legs. I am going to go and try and find it for you and post it an bump i tfor you ....hope this helps
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
  • Legalchica
    Options
    I used to have part of my foot go numb until I got my Vibrams.
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    This happens to me almost every time! I think that it is because my feet are usually so stationary. When I realize i am doing this and my toes start tingling, I start to stretch and move them and include them more in the motion. With running, your feet are constantly flexing, so try to use those same motions on the elliptical. It's really easy to leave them flat on the platform, but if you move them your feet will feel better! Worked for me!

Me too, exactly.