Advice on Strength Training

Options
I'm not sure I'm working out hard enough at the gym. I recently switched gyms and while I'm doing my workout I'm sweating like a pig and definitely feel the burn, but I'm not the least bit sore the following day. I've had to learn how to use the machines at the new gym because they are completely different from what Curves has, but shouldn't I be feeling something? I have an appointment with the Personal Trainer on the 21st and I'm debating if I should put of doing Strength training till after then, although I did have a trainer show me how to properly use them already.

Replies

• koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I usually don't feel any soreness until two or three days later. As long as you are confident with your form, I suggest continue until you meet with the trainer.
  • karenhs2
    karenhs2 Posts: 197
    Options
    Hey! You went ahead and switched?! (she is local to me and we are talking about the same gym). I have been trying out some of the machines. They seem pretty straight forward. i will be interested to hear about your personal training session, I haven't signed up for one yet. I am doing this crazy 30DS this month and have little left over to head to the gym right now.

I am wondering too if you are simply more fit in general. It may take more to make you sore if you kwim.
  • loombeav
    loombeav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Hey! You went ahead and switched?! (she is local to me and we are talking about the same gym). I have been trying out some of the machines. They seem pretty straight forward. i will be interested to hear about your personal training session, I haven't signed up for one yet. I am doing this crazy 30DS this month and have little left over to head to the gym right now.

I am wondering too if you are simply more fit in general. It may take more to make you sore if you kwim.
    I did, I figured with my Insurance paying 1/2 my Curves membership the new gym costs are covered.
    They are pretty simple, once you figure out proper form, and I'm still adjusting and figuring out how much weight I need. I do think you're right about me being more fit then I thought, I was able to do some stuff that 6 months ago I never would have been able to do at all.
  • jessicamckay13
    Options
    What kind of machines/lifts are you doing? How many reps and sets?
  • loombeav
    Options
    What kind of machines/lifts are you doing? How many reps and sets?
    The gym I go to has Nautilus Circuit Training machines. I've been doing the entire circuit, right now 1 set of 12 reps on each machine. Which is what was suggested by the trainer that showed me how to use the equipment. For the arm machines I've been averaging about 20lbs, back machines about 35lbs and leg machines about 50lbs. Which is enough for me to feel a burn when working out but not feel like I'm dying. Curves Circuit Machines used resistance, so figuring out the right weight for me is my biggest challenge right now.
  • jdevrich
    Options

This is what I was thinking as well!
  • jennyboone
    Options
    The question is how long have you been doing strength training? You definitely need to switch it up, never work the same muscles every day, your body needs time to recover. If you have been training for a while, add a little more weight. You might be at a plateau. Definitely keep it up, don't stop!
  • Luthorcrow
    Options
    You should avoid most machines for strength training. You will get better results from free weights or body weight training. With the exception of cable stations, most machines try to isolate muscles groups and force your body to exert force along an unnatural linear path. The biggest disadvantage is your are strengthening one muscle in isolation but not strengthening the supporting muscles that would be needed in actually practical or sports motion. It's like building a car with horse power but a weak suspension.

Personally it doesn't matter whether you prefer using a barbell or a kettle ball or a TRX strap but avoid all of those fancying looking machines. They are leftovers from decades old theories on strength training that have been proven to be wrong. The only reason gyms still have most of them is either because they already had invested in them, some people unfamiliar with exercise tend to find them less intimidating and/or trust in technology over actual old fashioned sweat and work.

The two most basics exercises your trainer should teach are squats and dead-lifts. Any strength training program that does not include some variation on those two basic movements is not a program worth following. I would recommend you pick up a book called "New Rules of Lifting for Women".

Also if you trainer is having you work on machines, get another trainer. You don't need a trainer to put you on a treadmill.
  • loombeav
    Options
    The question is how long have you been doing strength training? You definitely need to switch it up, never work the same muscles every day, your body needs time to recover. If you have been training for a while, add a little more weight. You might be at a plateau. Definitely keep it up, don't stop!
    I was at Curves for 5 months, using a Smart card so the resistance increased as needed. I just started at the new gym working with these machines that are actual weight and not resistance machines. I do strength every other day and Cardio on the opposite days.
    You should avoid most machines for strength training. You will get better results from free weights or body weight training. With the exception of cable stations, most machines try to isolate muscles groups and force your body to exert force along an unnatural linear path. The biggest disadvantage is your are strengthening one muscle in isolation but not strengthening the supporting muscles that would be needed in actually practical or sports motion. It's like building a car with horse power but a weak suspension.

Personally it doesn't matter whether you prefer using a barbell or a kettle ball or a TRX strap but avoid all of those fancying looking machines. They are leftovers from decades old theories on strength training that have been proven to be wrong. The only reason gyms still have most of them is either because they already had invested in them, some people unfamiliar with exercise tend to find them less intimidating and/or trust in technology over actual old fashioned sweat and work.

The two most basics exercises your trainer should teach are squats and dead-lifts. Any strength training program that does not include some variation on those two basic movements is not a program worth following. I would recommend you pick up a book called "New Rules of Lifting for Women".

Also if you trainer is having you work on machines, get another trainer. You don't need a trainer to put you on a treadmill.
    Thanks for the info, I'll definitely ask the Trainer about these when I met with him next week.