New member looking for tips :)

Hi all,
Stumbled across this website as I was Googling about the benefits of elliptical trainers and decided to sign up!
I've been dieting since July 2011 and started at 195lbs. With some exercise and dieting I have managed to get down to 171lbs at my lowest, but gained 6lbs over Christmas :(

So I'm just wondering, with regards to exercise regimes, how do you all do it?
I joined the gym in October and tried to go 3/4 times a week, but I'd like to lose the remaining 37lbs as quickly and safely as possible, so I was considering boosting my exercise plan to 5 times a week for at the very least 30 minutes. Is there such as thing as too much exercise? I read somewhere that hour long slogs of cardio can actually slow down weight loss?

Also, which do you think is a better exercise calorie-burning wise, Zumba or the elliptical trainer?

Thanks! :D

- p.s. what is the best way of burning belly fat? I carry most of my weight on my stomach and back.

Replies

• silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    You just have to be dedicated to yourself more than anything else. If you want to shred pounds, try high cardio. I run & do Insanity. Eating healthy is also key. Workout all you want, but if you’re not eating proper, it will take you longer. Best of luck.
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    You do need to maintain muscle when you're losing weight - it burns calories and helps the weight loss to continue, so some form of resistance training as well as doing the cardio.