High protein, low fat recipes

Options
aregensb
aregensb Posts: 239 Member
Hello everyone!

I'm currently trying to follow a high protein diet. I don't have any stringent limitations on carbs (macros at 40/30/30 c/f/p) but I try to get them mostly from vegetables and fruits. The problem I'm having is that I'm getting too much fat. I try to get most of my protein from food rather than supplements, and I keep going over by about 20g of fat. I try to eat mostly lean meats and fish. I also eat a lot of almonds, peanut butter, avocado, and EVOO.

NOW FOR THE IMPORTANT QUESTION:
What are your favorite high protein/low fat recipes? I feel like this is a hard question since most high protein meals are going to have meat in them which contains a decent amount of fat.

If you feel like answering some nutritional questions:
#1 - How much fat is too much fat? Is going over by 20g or less a big deal? Will it inhibit fat loss?
#2 - In a diet where most of the fat comes from nuts, EVOO, avocado, etc., is it a big deal to go over?

Replies

• Gatorjrm
    Gatorjrm Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I try to follow a 60/30/20 (c,p,f) and am always below protein and above fat! I look forward to seeing how people respond!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I go over on fat every day, but I try to keep it from the good sources like nuts.

Let's see - chicken breast baked in salsa. Fish wrapped in paper or foil, with some herbs, lemon/ lime for flavour. Lentil dahl.
  • maine7290
    maine7290 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    **Bump**
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I would define "too much fat" as an amount that doesn't allow you to get in an adequate amount of protein daily. You should shoot for around 1g of protein per lb of lbm.

As for recipes, things like chicken, rice and beans, Mahi mahi fish tacos, chicken tacos/fajita/enchiladas, chicken stir fry are all low in fats and high in protein
  • melaniecheeks
    Options
    Cottage cheese. Egg whites.
  • TwinMumCork
    TwinMumCork Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    On the fat subject I don't think its a big deal to go over on it if you are not going over on carbs. I am always afraid too when I see fat way over like 10g but then when its from things like salmon it can't be bad.

My favourite recipes are stirfrys with fish,chicken, turkey and loads of veg.

I also like salmon just grilled/roasted plain with a huge salad or roasted veg or something like that. Nothing too adventurous.

I have found a few interesting fish stews online but haven't tried them yet, I'd be able to serve those to the carb loving boys in the house with some potato or rice.

I find it hard going low carb but I just find the weight stays put if I don't cut back on them especially in the evening.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I would change some of the foods I eat. The ratios aren't too ideal. Nuts, avocado, pb, oil, none are high in protein. So when you choose fat dense items that lack protein, you're making it more hard. Nothing wrong with high fat stuff, but you want the protein to be good as well
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Always looking for more protein, that is low in calories and doesn't come from an animal, if there is such a thing.
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of greek yogurt, that's high in protein and low in fat.
  • ruggedBear
    Options
    Ditto on the greek yogurt - Chobani Non-fat is my preference, and the plain or vanilla have the least sugar/carbs as well. Wild caught tuna in one of the lowest in fat of the fishes and grills very well. Nothing beats chicken. I too found that I couldn't get enough protein so I am supplementing with a natural whey powder (mixed with light soy milk and the yogurt). I hit a plateau for a couple of weeks and had been eating a serving of almonds everyday as a snack - replacing them with a Kashi cereal snack seemed to help get over the hump although I'm not sure if it was the lower fat or the extra fiber that was the contributing factor there.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    NOW FOR THE IMPORTANT QUESTION:
    What are your favorite high protein/low fat recipes? I feel like this is a hard question since most high protein meals are going to have meat in them which contains a decent amount of fat.

If you feel like answering some nutritional questions:
    #1 - How much fat is too much fat? Is going over by 20g or less a big deal? Will it inhibit fat loss?
    #2 - In a diet where most of the fat comes from nuts, EVOO, avocado, etc., is it a big deal to go over?

If you are getting fat from healthy sources, such as those you list, then going over a little is fine as long as you are within your calorie goals and eating enough other foods to getting proper nutrition.

The tastiest high protein low fat recipes I can think of are soups. Lentil soup, black bean soup, (lean) chicken vegetable soup, seafood gumbo, split pea soup...
  • aregensb
    aregensb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I would change some of the foods I eat. The ratios aren't too ideal. Nuts, avocado, pb, oil, none are high in protein. So when you choose fat dense items that lack protein, you're making it more hard. Nothing wrong with high fat stuff, but you want the protein to be good as well

What kind of protein rich foods do you recommend for snacks? I was eating meat at just about every snack and meal but then I got sick of it. I would do turkey and cheddar with crackers, ham and swiss with rice cakes... I don't know, there was a lot of sodium in the lunch meat but it was definitely more convenient than baking 10 chicken breast every week and portioning them out for snacks and meals. I was also still going over on fat...

I've also brought like half a cup of beans with a tomato as a snack before. Maybe I could do that with a couple ounces of lean meat. Or maybe I just have to up my protein shake intake.

Edit: I just don't like to eat a ton of meat I guess. Not a vegetarian or anything, but I feel kind of ill when I eat meat at every single meal.
  • joyfulteach
    joyfulteach Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Beef jerky!! 100 cal packs have 18 g. Protein and 1 g. Fat. Also shrimp cocktail would be yummy.
  • melaniecheeks
    Options
    Mmmmm invented something wonderful from store cupboard ingredients this evening!

Boil some leeks. Combine with a tin of tuna and a tin of sliced mushrooms, both drained. Stir in half a can of soup (I had lobster bisque leftover, but tomato or vegetable would work fine). Pile inot an ovenproof dish, dot with cheese (any!) and bake until cheese is golden and bubbling.

Serves 2, 200 cals per portion, 12g carbs, 7g fat, 20g protein.

Cut down the cheese, or replace with breadcrumbs to reduce the fat content.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    This guy I'm dating just showed me a really good marinade for baking chicken. He uses it during his dieting/cutting season for competitions.
    Chicken breasts
    Fat free italian dressing
    some kind of teriyaki souce. I got a pineapple teriyaki sauce.
    orange juice. I used pineapple orange juice.

Put the chicken in a storage ziploc with a mixture of the three other ingredient. 1/2 being the juice, and the other half split between the other two. Just eyeball it or measure 2 parts juice, 1 part teriyaki, 1 part dressing. Let that sit in the fridge for 2 days and bake it at 420 for 20 minutes, flip, and bake another 20 minutes. Tastes really good over rice or with kidney beans as he says.

I made it today and it tastes really good. Great way to switch up between boring chicken which is a big part of high protein diets..
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I recently discovered plain Cabot 2% greek yogurt- The flavored has added sugar and higher carbs. I buy plain unflavored and add sugar free lemonade. It tastes just like regular lemon yogurt. One cup has 150 calories, 22 g protein, and 11 grams of carbs. That is hard to beat for a non-meat product.

I'd be more concerned about too many carbs if a lot of your fats are healthy ones. EVOO, avocado, etc is all good. Nuts good up to an extent, but are calorically dense and can affect your weight loss.

I shoot for 40p/30c/30f
  • hoovertac
    hoovertac Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Chobani Greek Yogurt with Silva Smoked Turkey Sausage & if there's room, stuffed in a pita or flat bread with olives or tomato.
  • kbizzleoo
    kbizzleoo Posts: 114
    Options
    bump