My Back Hurts!!

Options
Bug263
Bug263 Posts: 90 Member
I started mission 2 yesterday of Billy Blanks Boot Camp and my back is killing me. I was hoping maybe I could get some advice without going to the doc as far as stretches or light exercises to help with the lower back area (I'm stubborn about docs), I'm going to rest and ice it today but any stretching ideas to loosen them up would be great. I've already been to the doc about 4 yrs. ago (buldging discs) so I know what the problem is but can't remember any of the stuff they told me to do during PT.

Replies

• Bug263
    Options
    I started mission 2 yesterday of Billy Blanks Boot Camp and my back is killing me. I was hoping maybe I could get some advice without going to the doc as far as stretches or light exercises to help with the lower back area (I'm stubborn about docs), I'm going to rest and ice it today but any stretching ideas to loosen them up would be great. I've already been to the doc about 4 yrs. ago (buldging discs) so I know what the problem is but can't remember any of the stuff they told me to do during PT.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    You have to do back strengthening exercises as well - probably more important in the long run than stretching for your pain. The "superman" lift is good for the lower back and it has many variations. Chances are, you need to work on your abs to support your lower back as well.

Remember, forward bends do not (or aren't supposed to, if done correctly) stretch your lower back - they are for your hamstrings. Twists are best for lower back pain - but will only help with muscle related pain. Lay on the floor on your back, bend your right knee, move your right knee over towards the floor. Repeat on the other side. There are tons of stretches, but that one is easy and restful.

Best of luck.
  • Bug263
    Options
    You have to do back strengthening exercises as well - probably more important in the long run than stretching for your pain. The "superman" lift is good for the lower back and it has many variations. Chances are, you need to work on your abs to support your lower back as well.

Remember, forward bends do not (or aren't supposed to, if done correctly) stretch your lower back - they are for your hamstrings. Twists are best for lower back pain - but will only help with muscle related pain. Lay on the floor on your back, bend your right knee, move your right knee over towards the floor. Repeat on the other side. There are tons of stretches, but that one is easy and restful.

Best of luck.
    Thank you, 23 views and your the only response so far, I appreciate it!:flowerforyou:
  • StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,778 Member
    Options
    I totally agree about the strengthening exercises. In addition to lower back exercises (like the superman exercise), doing core training will also help with lower back pain.

But, of course, that isn't going to make you feel better today, is it? I've had alot of lower back pain in my life (unfortunately), and I have found that when I have lower back pain, it is usually because a number of muscles not just in my lower back but surrounding my lower back are tight.

So, I would actually recommend a full regiment of stretching for your lower body, including your hamstrings, your hip flexors, your glutes and, of course, your back. As marywilldiet indicated, gentle twisting exercises are good for your lower back. But, in addition, I would recommend stretching the other surrounding muscles. One of my favorite stretches when my back is sore is sitting on the edge of a chair and leaning forward. Another is sitting on the edge of a chair with my leg crossed (ankle on the opposite knee) and leaning forward (this will stretch your glute as well). These really hit my personal back trouble zones well. When my back is sore, I can only lean forward (with a straight back, of course) a few inches. When I'm healthy, I can take my hands all the way to the floor. So only go as far as you can!

In addition, I would recommend doing hamstring stretches (lying on the floor with one leg raised straight in the air and gently pulling it towards you) and hip flexor stretches (my favorite is to stand with my back to a chair and then folding my leg so my foot rests on the seat of the chair and then bending my standing leg a bit to enhance the stretch).

Make sure you are somewhat warm before stretching if possible and hold each stretch for between 15-30 seconds.

Hope you feel better soon!