Overnight Oats

Options
Hey Folks,

I've been so happy with this new way to eat oats (for me anyway) that I thought I'd share it. I got the idea from Kath of Kath Eats Real Food blog fame. She has a whole portion of her blog dedicated to a Tribute to Oats (http://www.katheats.com/?page_id=3889).

Here's how I've been preparing my breakfasts. I make it the evening before so in the morning I just grab the covered bowl out of the fridge and take it to work with me.

1/2 cup yogurt (I use maple syrup sweetened organic Seven Star Farms yogurt....its a bit looser, runnier than other yogurts and I consider this good for supplying lots of liquid for the oats to absorb, if you use a firmer, unsweetened yogurt you may want to add a splash of milk and a dash of sweetener)

1/3 cup dry, uncooked old fashioned rolled oats, or quick oats (if you prefer steel-cuts you may need to cook them first)

a couple spoonfuls of my own mix of chopped nuts and fruits (I make this nummy concoction of chopped dried fruits, nuts, sesame seeds, chia seeds and tahini)

mix all the above together

I top with 1/3 cup frozen wild blueberries

cover, refrigerate overnight and in the morning you have a fabulous bowl of numminess weighing in at 295 calories that is no muss and no fuss and NO COOKING!!!

On Kath's website she has a very long list of things she adds to her overnight oats.

Enjoy!
JoJo

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    This looks really good. I've never tried cold oatmeal - but I love yogurt! Thanks for posting.

I do a "pre-cooked" overnight variety. Basically I pour boiling water over instant steel cut oats and snap a tight lid on. The next morning I microwave for 2&1/2 minutes. This method cuts the cooking time in half.
  • jojoworks
    jojoworks Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    This looks really good. I've never tried cold oatmeal - but I love yogurt! Thanks for posting.

I do a "pre-cooked" overnight variety. Basically I pour boiling water over instant steel cut oats and snap a tight lid on. The next morning I microwave for 2&1/2 minutes. This method cuts the cooking time in half.

I love steel cut oats, in the past I'd make up a big pot of them and dish from that for my daily portion and then reheat in the microwave. What I love about the "overnight oats" is the addition of yogurt and NO COOKING! I was surprised how delicious the oats came out. They totally absorb the liquid and aren't crunchy, dry at all.

I figured you can't go wrong with two healthy foods like yogurt and oats!