How do you squeeze in a workout in a crazy busy schedule?

Options
Alright, I need advice. School is about to start again, which means I'm back into working full time and school full time. How do you squeeze in exercise time? I'm not kidding - I work all day, my husband walks in the door and I'm out to class until 10pm. Mornings aren't really an option because of the kids, and by time I get home from class I'm done. What can I do in between??? I'm trying so hard not to get discouraged, but I don't have time in my life to spend 1.5-2 hours working out. :-(

Replies

• Mzbutterfly32
    Options
    How long do you get for lunch? If you get 30 minutes to an hour you can split your lunch in half and do the following:

Walk around the building outside at a moderate rate
    Walk up a couple of floors of stairs (3 to 4 times)
    While sitting at you desk you can do leg lifts (they wont be as high as while standing and you won't get you heart rate up where it should be) but you will be working muscles for toning.

Hope that helps some.
  • ToryBarker
    ToryBarker Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, but maybe not as hectic. But I work all day and have 3 kids to take care of when I get home! I have ask people what I should do too. Do you get a break at work? Bring a change of clothes to work and go walk somewhere...even if its just around the building. Or find a close by neighborhood to walk in. When you get home (before school) take the kids on a walk around the neighborhood. I have a pretty good size backyard and my husband tells me to walk the yard. I think if you sit down and looked at your schedule you can find at least 15 minutes to workout (walk, jog, run). If not during the day, try when you get home at 10! I know that sucks, but its only 15 minutes and then hit the hay!!
  • twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I have the same issues...I do my work-out during my lunch hour. I eat lunch at my desk or in my class. The university has a great gym that has showers and my lunch break is between work and school.

If you have to return to work after lunch or have no time for a shower carry baby wipes to clean up and fresh deodorant. Its not easy and truthfully i skipped yesterday because I was just exhausted.
  • msjones2831
    msjones2831 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I bought an 8 in step and just do step aerobics at home first thing in the AM or squeeze it in while watching tv.
  • Ljthet
    Ljthet Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Pick up the Jilian MIchaels 30 day shred. It's 8.00 and a 20 minute workout. There are three levels. My co-workers and I have been doing it since the 1st and it's an awesome workout, especially when you are crunched on time. You just need 3-5lb weights and I would recommend a yoga mat.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    1 1/2 to 2 hours on your schedule would be discouraging, so cut it down to 30 minutes, which is far more realistic. You're setting goals that are too high to reach, so set goals that you know you can reach. You have to MAKE time is what it's going to come down to. If it means getting up before the kids, working out to a dvd then getting them to school, then so be it. What about lunch break, or the commute to school? Is it short enough that you could walk or bike it? The baby wipes and deodorant solution is very common.

Just suggestions.
  • tamiesue2
    tamiesue2 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I also bought a step, but I took mine to work and I do it on my breaks. Even if I only get 10 minutes in at a time it is better than nothing. If you have a desk job I have heard of people who have those small exercise bikes that are only the peddles that they slide under their desk and workout while at their desk.
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    25 sit ups
    25 Push Ups
    25 Squats

At a minium if you cant do a work out. Jennifer Hudson suggested it :) It doesnt take long I try to do it before bed.
  • jeannicoleau
    jeannicoleau Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. I agree with the rest. I work it in at lunch time and walk around the block. Don't get discouraged. You've got a whole community of people behind you for support.:wink:
  • RyanDanielle5101
    Options
    You may just have to get up earlier:sad: It sucks but if you want it bad enough you can do it!!

I have a crazy busy schedule too and while I don't have school my son has practice 3x a week and that keeps us gone in the evenings! I always do my Insanity right after work while the kids are doing homework but I am also joining a gym and going to get up at 5:30am and run on the treadmill in addition to the 30DS and Insanity videos in the afternoon.

It's so hard to fit it in but you can do it:smile:
  • hkmamma
    hkmamma Posts: 70
    Options
    I finally admitted that if I was going to do it I had to go to the gym before the day started. It stinks but I am out the door at 5 am. get home at 630 and get the family up. I feel so good it is worth it!
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    i usually go to bed at 10 get up at 4-430 to get to the gym because my goals are lofty right now. but school and family are what are your number ones so work it in when you can. like someone said, walk at lunch, take the stairs when possible, five min of floor work is better than none at all! and sometimes you have to let it go. if you cant get at least 6 hrs of sleep a night then your life might be in workout mode right now. i am lucky i have older kids so they get themselves ready in the morning so i can workout and then i go to work. if they dont have homework, i go in the afternoon sometimes.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    1184988704_bacb0895e9_z.jpg?zz=1
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    For me, early in the morning is best. I have to be at work by 8am so I'm out and working out by 6am. I only need 1hr to get in a great workout at the gym and then I shower and great ready there. I have two boys - 2 years old and 4 months old and work a FT executive job. A lot of people do workout dvds, is that an option? You only need about 30 minutes for those.
  • luvJOJO
    luvJOJO Posts: 1,881 Member
    Options
    I drive to the gym and work-out on my lunch break everyday. It's the only time I can get a work-out in being a single mom. If I want to try to burn some additional calories, I do some working out at home (which rarely ever happens lol)
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    Alright, I need advice. School is about to start again, which means I'm back into working full time and school full time. How do you squeeze in exercise time? I'm not kidding - I work all day, my husband walks in the door and I'm out to class until 10pm. Mornings aren't really an option because of the kids, and by time I get home from class I'm done. What can I do in between??? I'm trying so hard not to get discouraged, but I don't have time in my life to spend 1.5-2 hours working out. :-(

ok, i'll be constructive now. who says you need to spend one and a half or two hours working out a day? my longest work outs are like, an hour, once a week. some of my best work outs are 30-40 minutes, and i am dripping sweat and panting like a beast (STOP PICTURING IT!!).

if you are really that busy, then do what i do once in a while i really "don't have time." make yourself a circuit, like 15 squats, 10, lunges, 5 push ups. do that every thirty minutes through out the course of the day.

my latest 40 minute work out was a 21-15-9 set of thursters and inverted rows. that means i did 21 thursters (barbell in front of my chest, squat, on the up movement i did an over head press) and then 21 inverted rows. next set was 15 and 15, etc. it took me about 25 minutes. to warm up i ran for five minutes. cool down was a 5 minute run and 3 sets of planks and then stretched. total time in gym was about 40 minutes.
  • Kimmullen
    Options
    I agree with the rest of the replies. I had the same issue and trying to find 1.5 hours was impossible. I started with 30 minutes at lunch time (I recently changed to mornings as my schedule changed) now that is the "norm" and just part of my routine. So, I have recently added two 30 min. w/o a week after work - I am going to the gym but you could do excercise videos and get the kids to do them with you at home or take them bike riding etc.

If you can't find 30 min start with 15 or 20 min. a day - once it is just part of your daily life then look to add 5 min. or see if there is another time of day to do a second 15 min.session and build on it.

Remember your as important as the hubby and the kids and deserve the time as well.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Nobody ever came to me and said they had extra time on their hands, so they'd
    like to get fit.

Nobody has time.
    But everybody has time.

Here's the disconnect. People either make the time or they do not.
    Your fitness goals are either a priority or they are not.
    And if they are not, then failure is asured.

That's reality.
    Make the time.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

ok, i'll be constructive now. who says you need to spend one and a half or two hours working out a day? my longest work outs are like, an hour, once a week. some of my best work outs are 30-40 minutes, and i am dripping sweat and panting like a beast (STOP PICTURING IT!!).

if you are really that busy, then do what i do once in a while i really "don't have time." make yourself a circuit, like 15 squats, 10, lunges, 5 push ups. do that every thirty minutes through out the course of the day.

my latest 40 minute work out was a 21-15-9 set of thursters and inverted rows. that means i did 21 thursters (barbell in front of my chest, squat, on the up movement i did an over head press) and then 21 inverted rows. next set was 15 and 15, etc. it took me about 25 minutes. to warm up i ran for five minutes. cool down was a 5 minute run and 3 sets of planks and then stretched. total time in gym was about 40 minutes.
    Agreed. Make them short and intense if you are really that strapped for time. 30 minutes is plenty of time to get in a solid workout if you are efficient.

As for having time, as with all things, you make time for the things that are important to you. I squeeze workouts in on my lunch break. I get up before my kids to squeeze in a workout if I know I'm not going to have time to during the day. I've also been known to workout at night after everyone goes to bed. Hell, there are times when I wake up at 2am, can't go back to sleep and end up in the basement spinning for an hour.

If it's important to you then you'll find a way to make it work.
  • Cylindad
    Options
    Do you have Netflix? Get up 30 minutes before the kids and do maybe a Pilates set.
    Do a search on your favorite type of exercise. For example, there is a Pilates video that gives you a choice, from 15, 30 or 45 minute workout depending on how much time you have.