Question about MFP Fitness Goals

Options
When I joined MFP (Dec. 20th of 2011), I set up my weight loss and fitness goals. I set the recommended 1 pound a week for weight loss, but I was a bit confused by the fitness goals section. I typically workout 5 days a week for anywhere from an hour to an hour and a half. I don't quite understand how the fitness goals section plays into determining my calorie goals...or does it? I set my fitness goals on the low side for now because I wasn't sure of the effect on my plan and in case I couldn't workout as much I didn't want that to play into my daily numbers. I set the fitness goal for 4 days per week at 45 minutes, figuring at the least, I could count on getting these workouts in.

I guess my question is does MFP already account for the fitness goal target calories in my daily caloric intake? I see mine is listed as 1,060 calories/week. Because when I enter my calories burned from exercise each day, MFP gives me back those calories in my daily caloric intake. If I don't enter a fitness goal into the system, but continue to workout and input my calories burned, will my numbers or weight loss be affected?

Thanks for the help! :)

Replies

• busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    No, MFP only accounts for exercise AFTER you do it and enter it. The fitness goals are just for you to see if you are keeping up with the weekly goals you set for yourself. You get those exercise calories you burned back so you can eat more. I don't believe your numbers will change if you leave the fitness goal section blank.
  • Mike523
    Mike523 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    No, MFP only accounts for exercise AFTER you do it and enter it. The fitness goals are just for you to see if you are keeping up with the weekly goals you set for yourself. You get those exercise calories you burned back so you can eat more. I don't believe your numbers will change if you leave the fitness goal section blank.

That's correct, the fitness goals section is for reference only. The numbers you enter (or don't enter) there do not have an effect on the calorie goal number. Once you actually do your exercise and add it to your daily tracker, it adds the earned calories to your daily target.
  • ajevans2674
    ajevans2674 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thank you both! That's what I was hoping! :)