NROLW question

Options
So I have about 80 lbs to lose and have been exercising for about 6 weeks now. After reading all the posts about lifting heavy, I am thinking of doing the NROLW. Is this too early to start? I do plan on doing additional Cardio of 45 mts for at least 6 times a week along with one of Jillian Michael's tape(Ripped in 30, 6 week abs) also 6 times a week. I have been strength training and finished 30 DS and was wondering if this was too much too soon. I am concerned about loose skin and was thinking this would hopefully help in that regard. If NROLW is too advanced, any suggestions about other weight lifting routines? Maybe Jamie Eason's Live Fit program?

Replies

• ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Options
    No, its not too early. New Rules of Lifting is a great book!!! From what I've seen the women's book is just as excellent. Easy read, very simple to understand. You tailor the programs in the back of the book to your abilities and desires. Its never too early to start a good strength routine. Best of luck!
  • wannalosew82
    wannalosew82 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input. Any thoughts about Jamie Eason's Live Fit program?
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i havent used her livefit program, but i am doing the 12 week burning the fat program..i really like it a lot :) im in the middle of the 2nd week
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    So I have about 80 lbs to lose and have been exercising for about 6 weeks now. After reading all the posts about lifting heavy, I am thinking of doing the NROLW. Is this too early to start? I do plan on doing additional Cardio of 45 mts for at least 6 times a week along with one of Jillian Michael's tape(Ripped in 30, 6 week abs) also 6 times a week. I have been strength training and finished 30 DS and was wondering if this was too much too soon. I am concerned about loose skin and was thinking this would hopefully help in that regard. If NROLW is too advanced, any suggestions about other weight lifting routines? Maybe Jamie Eason's Live Fit program?

I love NROL4W so much I started a group for it:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/119-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w-

Go over there, troll around all the posts and see what you think. Also, feel free to ask questions there too, it's a greatly supportive group. One of the things I like about Lou & company's plan is that you do it to your capabilities and they give you modifications. However, even if the mods in the book don't suite you the ladies in the group will tend to have other suggestions as well. Hope to see yo there!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    On another note, my undrestanding about loose skin is that it has to do with the rate of weight loss (faster the loss the more excess skin because the elasticity of the skin can't keep up with the rate of loss), time, and genetics and nothing to actually do with the exercises you're doing. Like, you can't bench press your skin smaller. Skin isn't a muscle, and after being stretched to a certain point it just takes time to recover it's elasticity.
  • wannalosew82
    Options
    I was wanting to start weight lifting early on so that I develop muscles and that excess skin may look better after weight loss vs only cardio which may make the skin hang loose as some have commented in their posts.
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input. Any thoughts about Jamie Eason's Live Fit program?

I am doing the LiveFit program and really like it! :bigsmile: I think that anyone can do it from any level of fitness. The first 4 weeks are without any cardio though... just so you know. I personally am still running because I am training for a half marathon in May and can't take the break.
  • ddelynn5
    Options
    wow awesome job. I just started. you sound realy focused. I'm interested in your excerise program. need something new!:flowerforyou: my name is Deb username ddelynn5
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options

I highly recommend NROL4W. It's not to early to start!! Before you make up a plan on what else to do alongside New Rules, I suggest reading the book all the way through first. :flowerforyou:
  • BrandiLynn8064
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I was thinking of buying that book this weekend and trying it out. Glad to hear all of the opinions, it really helps:flowerforyou:
  • wannalosew82
    Options
    Thanks. I am planning on finishing the book with the upcoming long weekend.
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I :heart: NRoL. Do it. Get strong. See you there. Oh, and visit Staci for some added inspiration:

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/