High iron

Options
torie079
torie079 Posts: 179 Member
Does anyone have any yummy high iron recipes?? I'm having a problem with anemia and iron pills make me sick. I'm not a huge fan of red meat but if any one has any delicious recipes I'm willing to try it lol

Replies

• TarheelMom721
    Options
    I'm right there with you. Mine's so yucky I have to get an iv infusion next week...bummer! So far, tons of spinach is the only thing that seems to keep me from falling completely off the chart, so I eat lots of it every day. Try this spinach egg scramble for breakfast:

1 whole egg + 2 egg whites, beaten
    handful of baby spinach, coarsely chopped
    2 or 3 T. of diced peppers & onions (I prefer the red & orange bells)
    1 T. shredded parmesan cheese
    1T. chicken broth
    Mrs. Dash Onion & Garlic Blend

Saute the peppers & onions in a small pan sprayed with cooking spray. Toss in some Mrs. Dash & a little black pepper. If it starts to stick, throw in the chicken broth to deglaze. Once the veggies are cooked to desired softness, pour in eggs and spinach and a little more seasoning. Stir to keep from sticking to the pan and just before set, sprinkle on parmesan cheese.

This is so yummy and filling - holds me for hours!

Looking forward to other iron-rich recipes and ideas, too :)
  • gorgeouss9
    Options
    I have a history of anemia.. and whenever I feel weak I force myself to eat a small portion of lamb liver sauted in olive oil w/ garlic and onions. Thats the quickest way to get my iron boost.

This website has helped me A LOT with my nutrition: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=70
  • kmacgera
    kmacgera Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I just made a spinach soup:

sautee onions & garlic
    add veggies as you wish (zuccini, peppers, etc) to the sautee
    add stock (or bouillon & water)
    add spinach, lots of it
    salt, pepper

when spinach is cooked, put in a blender

that was the recipe. Then I added a can of tomato bisque soup for tang. It really worked. Next time I will blend in a can of tomatoes and stir in some plain yogurt.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    No specific recipes, but look for recipes containing high-iron foods. Black beans are a good source.

Also, Green & Black's 85% cocoa dark chocolate has 20% of your daily requirement in 6 squares and it's actually quite a filling snack.
  • Meridea
    Meridea Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Oysters are high in iron too, if you like them.