Best workout on a treadmill??

Options
I was hoping I could get some help! I go to the gym and have started using the treadmill for an hour and I'm wondering what is the best way to get the most out of my treadmill workout. I've heard it's best to walk at a steady pace but then sprint for 30 seconds and then go back to walking. I've also heard you should just walk at a steady pace on an incline for maximum results. So it's a little confusing! I want to make sure I'm doing the most I can for the best results. Any ideas would be great!!

:happy:

Replies

• nickelmel
    nickelmel Posts: 87
    Options
    I was hoping I could get some help! I go to the gym and have started using the treadmill for an hour and I'm wondering what is the best way to get the most out of my treadmill workout. I've heard it's best to walk at a steady pace but then sprint for 30 seconds and then go back to walking. I've also heard you should just walk at a steady pace on an incline for maximum results. So it's a little confusing! I want to make sure I'm doing the most I can for the best results. Any ideas would be great!!

:happy:
  • deamarie
    deamarie Posts: 90
    Options
    Both of those options are great and do different things to your body. Sprints and inclines get your heart rate up and burn lots of calories. But remember, anytime you add an incline you are adding resistance so you get booty lifting benefits also! I like mixing flat walks and runs with incline walks and runs in the same workout. It keeps things interesting. What level runner are you? Would you be walking most of the time or are you in pretty good cardio shape?
  • nickelmel
    Options
    I"m definitely more of a walker and can only run for a minute at a time right now - well sprint for a minute. And I'm walking pretty fast at 3.0 and then I run at 5.5.
  • catherheath
    catherheath Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have a sequence that I run on the treadmill, I think I saw it in a magazine once. It burns a lot of calories and the good thing is you can do it in 20 minutes. When I'm feeling stronger I can do 30 minutes or 45 minutes just by repeating the sequence.

This is my 20 minute routine

minute speed
    1-2 3 (warm up)
    3 4
    4 4.5
    5 5
    6 5.5
    7 4
    8 4.5
    9 5
    10 5.5
    11 4
    12 4.5
    13 5
    14 5.5
    15 4
    16 4.5
    17 5
    18 5.5
    19 6
    20 3 (cool down)
  • jjcunningham85
    Options
    I have had a lot of success losing weight centering my workouts around a 45 minute treadmill session. My favorite and most successful scheme is to use the cross country program. were there are peaks and dips on the monitor. Don't know if your treadmill has these program features. But this helps me a lot because there are a lot of benefits from doing the incline, and knowing that there is a dip right behind an incline motivates me to push myself through the peak and work harder than I would have, and once you get to the peak it gets a lot easier, doing this over 30-60 minutes is such an amazing workout, that really has great results.

Hope this helps.
  • catherheath
    Options
    I just noticed it didn't space between the numbers so it looks confusing, let me post again

20 minute routine
    Minute Speed
    1-2 3 (warm up)
    3 4
    4 4.5
    5 5
    6 5.5
    7 4
    8 4.5
    9 5
    10 5.5
    11 4
    12 4.5
    13 5
    14 5.5
    15 4
    16 4.5
    17 5
    18 5.5
    19 6
    20 3 (cool down)
  • AngelaBeaulieu
    AngelaBeaulieu Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hey there Nickelmel,

When I first started a friend from the running room had me doing 5 min warm up, jog for 5 min at 5/5.5, walk for 1 MIN . .. yes 1 min . . . supposedly it only takes our bodies one minute to get the break we need. then keep that cycle up, 5 min jog followed by 1 min rest for 30-45 min. work your way up to 10 min jog, 1 min rest.

I know you can do it if I did it. . . . I wasn't able to put my shoes on for a jog without being out of breathe!! :sad: :blushing: :grumble:

But that was then, I feel so much better now that I lost 100lbs. :flowerforyou:

I also love to put the treadmill at a 11+ incline and walk at a 3.5/4 for about 15. Man do you feel it in your thighs, butt, abs*got rid of my pouch, glutes . . . you will be surprised where it works . . .

Good to switch it up though . . . Enjoy!
  • catherheath
    Options
    shoot!!!! how do you create spacing on this thing, LOL anyway, the first number is the minutes and the rest is the speed, I hope it makes sense
  • nickelmel
    Options
    These are all really great suggestions! I think i'll try them all out and see which one works for me - at least i'll have some variety!

Thanks!! :tongue:
  • sanifrey
    sanifrey Posts: 2,355 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the question!! Some really great suggestions here!! I'm definately going to try the high incline 15 minute walk thing!! I need some booty work!! LOL!! :wink:
  • kevmandfl
    kevmandfl Posts: 41
    Options
    I have been looking for some walking ideas.
    Thanks for the tips.
    :flowerforyou:
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    I've also walked backwards with a high incline to work the booty, really lifts it, watch out the next day I can hardly sit!
  • delerbygirl
    Options
    I usually change the incline during my treadmill workout at various times. I also keep a walking pace between 2.5 and 3.3.

Good luck on your journey. :smile:
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    i get bored easy so I always make new routines on the tredmil:

Min
    1-5 - Walk on a 6.0 incline

5 - 10 Walk on 7.5 half the time and then walk backwards
    (so at 5:30 turn around and adjust the speed)

10 - 10.30 - Run to the left side @ 4.0 speed (like skipping to the side)
    10.30 - 11 - run or walk
    11- 11.30 - run to the right side (like skipping)
    1130-12 - run or walk
    12 - 12.30 - run to the left
    1230 - 13 run/walk
    13-1330 run to the right
    1330-14 run or walk
    14-1430 run to left
    1420 - 15 run to the right

15-17 cool down and let your heart rate lower
    17-20 walk on incline the higher the beter

repeat again (which gives you 40 mins)
    Then 5 min cool down
    There is you 45 mins

This work out flies by because you are constantly changing and trying to mae the times.....
  • TrailRunner
    TrailRunner Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I into the uhphill treadmill for now. started out doing intervels. 2.8/2-3.8/8 4 minutes each. Lately I've gone straight through for 65 minutes at 3.8/8. burns around 500 calories and boosts the toush.
  • nivek
    nivek Posts: 16
    Options
    I use the treadmill a lot. My typical daily workout is 1 hour at a 15 incline at 5 mph for 60 minutes. Sounds like a lot and it was in the beginning, but I have gotten so used to it that I wonder if it has the same beneficial effects. Hard pressed to get my heart rate above 124. I have tried running, but bad knees and a bad back make that really difficult. Have switched up the workout to include a bike for 60 minutes and the heart rate does get up to about 130 -135, but I like the tread mill better. All I can suggest is stick with it and it will get easier, but you may end up in the same situation – what to do next. Any ideas on how to get a better work-out w/o killing my knees and back

89115.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting
  • nitag
    nitag Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I just noticed it didn't space between the numbers so it looks confusing, let me post again

20 minute routine
    Minute Speed
    1-2 3 (warm up)
    3 4
    4 4.5
    5 5
    6 5.5
    7 4
    8 4.5
    9 5
    10 5.5
    11 4
    12 4.5
    13 5
    14 5.5
    15 4
    16 4.5
    17 5
    18 5.5
    19 6
    20 3 (cool down)

I think I am going to write this down..

I do 40 - 45 mins on the treadmill and vary my speed and incline.. I've noticed since I started increasing my incline I am burning a lot more calories per my hand dandy new pink heart rate monitor..

Anita