Why am I not losing weight?

Options
Ok, I get that you're not supposed to get obsessed with the scale, and I'm not. However, I started doing Insanity about a week and a half ago, I weighed myself before I started, I was at 220. I weighed myself at the end of the week on my off day, and I was 224! I didn't panic . I was curious so..... I wighed myself this morning, now it says 220 again. I might mention I weigh myself at the same time of day, wearing the same clothes, on an empty stomache. Is it possible my body just doesnt want to lose weight lol. I'm also keeping a careful eye on calories. I just don't understand.

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a food scale. Portion size is the key. I was shocked to see what a true portion was and what I thought it was. When I first started I would weight and measure everything. It was a real eye opener.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Could have been water retention from salt or not drinking enough water. I was shocked at how much sodium was in my diet.
  • ShrinkingNinja
    ShrinkingNinja Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Ok, I get that you're not supposed to get obsessed with the scale, and I'm not. However, I started doing Insanity about a week and a half ago, I weighed myself before I started, I was at 220. I weighed myself at the end of the week on my off day, and I was 224! I didn't panic . I was curious so..... I wighed myself this morning, now it says 220 again. I might mention I weigh myself at the same time of day, wearing the same clothes, on an empty stomache. Is it possible my body just doesnt want to lose weight lol. I'm also keeping a careful eye on calories. I just don't understand.

Assuming you are eating a health diet... You are giving your muscles the workout of a lifetime with Insanity... and You are just starting into it. The weight gain fluctuations you are seeing are most likely water weight while your muscles are repairing themselves. I would up your water and green tea intake to help get rid of any toxins in your system and just ride this out a little longer before making in other changes.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    If you are starting a new workout program you are probably retaining water from your muscles being used.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating in order to fuel yourself for these types of workouts?
  • rcarbaugh07
    Options
    I am having the same problem! I have been going to the gym for 45 minutes a day 4 to 5 times a week. I have gained 1.5 lbs. It is very discouraging and it is pissing me off. I understand your frustration. I will keep at it...Damn scale :cry:
  • kenyonsmom10
    kenyonsmom10 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    sent you a personal message...... i did insanity lost only 3 pounds...... BUT 16.5 inches and 5% body fat..... dont use the scale use measurements for that workout program!!!!!
  • milgirl77
    Options
    It could be a number of things. When you first start a workout, you typically gain "weight" from your muscles retaining water for recovery. That is probably why your weight dropped right back down.

I have found that if I keep my carbohydrates under 150g a day, I lose weight steadliy. Also, make sure it is not a week before your cycle.
  • parteegirl01
    Options
    Thanks gfor all the advice everyone. I drink a lot of water already, but I'll try some green tea ;) I'll also watch my sodium cause I don't really pay that much attention to it now. It's encouraging just to hear that it could be water retention, cause I thought I was doing something wrong lol.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
  • parteegirl01
    Options

about 1500 calories. I eat 6 times a day.
  • JennyZD
    JennyZD Posts: 176 Member
    Options

about 1500 calories. I eat 6 times a day.

You may need to eat more calories based on your weight and activity level. Do you eat your exercise calories back? Dont want to starve your body and slow your metabolism!
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    At least to 1600 calories. Getting the metabolism running well is first and foremost a goal for everyone whos dieting up or down.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a food scale. Portion size is the key. I was shocked to see what a true portion was and what I thought it was. When I first started I would weight and measure everything. It was a real eye opener.

This is really great advice.
  • Ariana_75
    Ariana_75 Posts: 224
    Options
    Dont get discouraged! It took me at least six months of consistent. training and eating clean before I started seeing ANY results...next thing I knew, I was 40lbs lighter! There's a light at the end of the tunnel =)
  • mjoyeux90
    mjoyeux90 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me a while back... I had a personal trainer and for 4 months I lost 1 lb and maybe a couple of inches... then all of a sudden in the span of about two weeks I lost 20 lbs. Now that was a couple of years ago and now I'm even bigger than that...
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Like others have said. Don't get discouraged, when I first started doing Insanity and P90X I initially gained a couple pounds as well and was really sore. After about week 2 or 3 the weight started dropping, workouts got easier.

Some other advice I would give is watch your sodium intake, it can really skew your numbers on the scale. For women, if it's that time of the month or getting close, avoid the scale, just skip your weigh in that week or you'll probably get discouraged.
  • parteegirl01
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I do eat my exercise calories back, I'm going to start logging thins better. I have 2 kids and sometimes I don't get around to logging them. I"ll also try to eat more calories. Also, does it make a difference if you work out before you eat breakfast. That's usually what I do, but if I need to eat something first that can be arranged :) Thanks again everyone. It makes it easier just knowing I have access to people who care enough to help me out!
  • Ariana_75
    Ariana_75 Posts: 224
    Options
    Also, does it make a difference if you work out before you eat breakfast. That's usually what I do, but if I need to eat something first that can be arranged :)
    Some studies say that you burn more fat calories if you workout on an empty stomach, but personally, I just don't have the energy to get a good work out if I'm starving. Also, your body is on starvation mode first thing in the morning which means that it is using up muscle as fuel (catabolic state). If you must workout in the morning, have a protein shake about an hour before your workout (it takes about an hour for the amino acids in the shake to be absorbed) and then have a protein rich breakfast within half an hour after your workout.
  • rcarbaugh07
    Options
    The same thing happend to me, I have been with the gym since November 30th and I am just now losing weight. After reading up "our" issue, it seems that everyone has the same responce. Our bodies are storing the fat because it does not know what to do. I do not know about you but I was not very active since April 2011 to November 2011, my body was in shock. It is coming off slowly but surely. So it did take along time for this 4lbs to come off but I feel better. That counts for something, right!