too much protein?

Options
Hi! Just wondering as I am new to Myfitnesspal, although I am a pescetarian (a vegetarian who eats seafood) it seems that I go over my protein allowance every single day, even on the days that I don't eat fish. Is this a hindrance to weight loss? I do 1/2 an hour on an elliptical machine, and 1/2 an hour of strength training on an assortment of gym machines per day. Otherwise, I have no trouble staying within my calorie allowance and fat/carbs allowances.

Replies

• SeaSiren1
    SeaSiren1 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    No, going over on protein will not hurt you at all.
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    The allotted protein on MFP is set pretty low.

There is such a thing as too much protein but you probably are not hitting it if you are just going a little over MFPs values.

Just keep in mind that if you have a HUGE excess of protein it can be taxing on your kidneys.
  • cquaddum
    Options
    Good information. Not to bug you, but do you know how much is too much? I did not realize until joining MFP how much protein is contained in vegeatbles!
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    I have had around 270 grams daily when I was putting on weight
    even reaching 150g of protein is tough so I doubt you're taking in too much..
  • Fit_Forever25
    Fit_Forever25 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Good information. Not to bug you, but do you know how much is too much? I did not realize until joining MFP how much protein is contained in vegeatbles!
    cquaddum .. do you really know such vegetables which have loads of protein? I am a vegetarian and always have to fight for protein :)
  • Fit_Forever25
    Fit_Forever25 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I have heard that if you have more protein than what your body needs then it goes into your hair :bigsmile:
    is it really true?
    As I was unwell from last one month and had major hair fall .. so I am trying to eat more protein than what MFP tells me to
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    MFP only allows for 15% of total calories to come from protein where a balanced diet can go as high at 30% (double MFP allotment), and many users of MFP will go even higher (high protein diet). You can change your setting to more closely reflect your goal by going to:
    Goals > change goal > custom > make your changes > save changes.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I have heard that if you have more protein than what your body needs then it goes into your hair :bigsmile:
    is it really true?
    As I was unwell from last one month and had major hair fall .. so I am trying to eat more protein than what MFP tells me to

If you have more protein than your body needs, your body just converts it into glucose.
  • tamerkins2
    Options
    I wondered this too! I am only given 55g of protein per day, so I always go over it. I find it impossible to keep my intake under that amount. But I have heard it is okay to be getting around 100g per day.
  • rsouthland
    Options
    " If you have more protein than your body needs, your body just converts it into glucose. "

This<>