Maintain or Continue Losing? What's your plan?

Options
I have noticed that many of my pals change up after they have reached their weight goals either:

1) It's too hard to maintain or they gain some lbs back when switching to maintenance calories.
2) They continue losing or lower their weight goal because they are so accustomed to cutting calories and working out hard.

What is your plan to maintain? I'm pretty darn close to maintenance and I know that is a whole other arena! Nervous!

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    They gain because they go over on their calories. I know because I do the same thing. I been on maintenance for almost a year and as soon as I get sloppy with my diet and logging I start gaining. If you want to keep it off you have to log and keep your calories at the recommended number.
  • GoldenGirl1979
    GoldenGirl1979 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    really great question diva... maintenance is like this scary, nerve wrecking thing that for so long seemed unattainable... & now that it's here i'm still scared :laugh:

i've been losing weight for so long... i feel comfortable w/that... i'm a pro at losing!! but i'm a novice at maintenance :ohwell: right now, i'm still doing the same old stuff, but that's b/c it's what i'm comfortable doing... but i know i need to grab the bull by the horns & really take this maintenance thing seriously!!!
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    They gain because they go over on their calories. I know because I do the same thing. I been on maintenance for almost a year and as soon as I get sloppy with my diet and logging I start gaining. If you want to keep it off you have to log and keep your calories at the recommended number.

That is what I'm most nervous about. Gaining some back and I know that's why some people continue to lose. I think finding a way to just maintain a range would be optimal, but doesn't always work that way. Although I choose many more healthy options now as my lifestyle I still love to eat out and eat good (bad!).
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    The key is to have a weight range, not a set number. So once you get closer to the higher number of your weight range, switch to losing mode again. Well, that's what I do anyway because there is no way I could be the exact same weight everyday.
  • smurfette75
    smurfette75 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I've been in maintenance mode for about 2 months now...once I switch on MFP my calories went up (by about 1500). I still workout and stay within my calories. I have not gained any back yet....even over the holidays.

And I don't weigh myself as much.
  • getfitdiva
    Options
    really great question diva... maintenance is like this scary, nerve wrecking thing that for so long seemed unattainable... & now that it's here i'm still scared :laugh:

i've been losing weight for so long... i feel comfortable w/that... i'm a pro at losing!! but i'm a novice at maintenance :ohwell: right now, i'm still doing the same old stuff, but that's b/c it's what i'm comfortable doing... but i know i need to grab the bull by the horns & really take this maintenance thing seriously!!!

GG it sounds like we are in the same boat - ha ha! The nerve wrecking feeling. I know it's a lifestyle change I will just keep trucking. My husband already said I'm feeling too small when he hugs me - OH DEAR!
  • getfitdiva
    Options
    The key is to have a weight range, not a set number. So once you get closer to the higher number of your weight range, switch to losing mode again. Well, that's what I do anyway because there is no way I could be the exact same weight everyday.

Good point because I need to seriously have a range (the lower one) hmmm that means I need to lower it. YIKES!
  • mrb_9110
    mrb_9110 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    If you're worried about gaining a few lbs back when you switch to maintainence, don't do a hard switch. As you get within a couple pounds of your goal, switch your profile to maintainence to see how many calories it would be, then switch it back to whatever you had before. Start adding in 100 calories a week and continue to exercise like normal. You'll be gradually upping your calories so you can recognize at what point you begin to maintain.

Hope that helps and good luck with maintainence! Congratulations on coming this far with your weightloss!
  • getfitdiva
    Options
    I've been in maintenance mode for about 2 months now...once I switch on MFP my calories went up (by about 1500). I still workout and stay within my calories. I have not gained any back yet....even over the holidays.

And I don't weigh myself as much.

Thanks for sharing. My calories are set to my BMR right now but when I alternate every week high cals (1600) then back down (1277) I tack on the weight and it doesn't budge. Learning every day about my body!
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    The key is to have a weight range, not a set number. So once you get closer to the higher number of your weight range, switch to losing mode again.

I actually keep MFP set to lose 1/2 lb. even though I'm in maintenance. I'm staying in my range and it gives me a cushion in case I mis-measure or mis-log something. I'm not as fanatical about my calories but I will be logging for about forever since I don't want to gain it back. I've been in my range since last March and the only time I got out of my range was on my two week vacation in July then again on my cruise in November. Both times, I dropped that weight and got back into my range.
  • getfitdiva
    Options
    If you're worried about gaining a few lbs back when you switch to maintainence, don't do a hard switch. As you get within a couple pounds of your goal, switch your profile to maintainence to see how many calories it would be, then switch it back to whatever you had before. Start adding in 100 calories a week and continue to exercise like normal. You'll be gradually upping your calories so you can recognize at what point you begin to maintain.

Hope that helps and good luck with maintainence! Congratulations on coming this far with your weightloss!

Thank you that is a great plan to add slowly!
  • getfitdiva
    Options
    The key is to have a weight range, not a set number. So once you get closer to the higher number of your weight range, switch to losing mode again.

I actually keep MFP set to lose 1/2 lb. even though I'm in maintenance. I'm staying in my range and it gives me a cushion in case I mis-measure or mis-log something. I'm not as fanatical about my calories but I will be logging for about forever since I don't want to gain it back. I've been in my range since last March and the only time I got out of my range was on my two week vacation in July then again on my cruise in November. Both times, I dropped that weight and got back into my range.

Love the expertise of maintaining . . . now I'm actually looking forward to it.
  • Sarw27
    Sarw27 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I am a LONG way from maintenance, but I think that if (no, WHEN!) I get there, I will lose an extra 5lbs just to give my body room to bounce around a little as it settles into maintenance. It seems logical now anyway.
  • cweiler4
    cweiler4 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    My plan is to give myself a 3-5lb flux when I go into maintenance mode. When I get to the higher end, I will swtich back to losing mode. I don't want to feel like I have to count calories forever. BTW....you have been a pal of mine from the very beginning for me. I have seen what you can do. I know whatever you choose to do, you will be fine. Its just nerve wrecking to think about! Good luck!
  • getfitdiva
    Options
    I am a LONG way from maintenance, but I think that if (no, WHEN!) I get there, I will lose an extra 5lbs just to give my body room to bounce around a little as it settles into maintenance. It seems logical now anyway.

Yeah that looks like the route I will take. Speak and it shall be done! Great work so far and you will get to your goal!
  • getfitdiva
    Options
    My plan is to give myself a 3-5lb flux when I go into maintenance mode. When I get to the higher end, I will swtich back to losing mode. I don't want to feel like I have to count calories forever. BTW....you have been a pal of mine from the very beginning for me. I have seen what you can do. I know whatever you choose to do, you will be fine. Its just nerve wrecking to think about! Good luck!

Christy you know I'm holding on to your friendship tight! Thanks for the tips! I will need that 3-5lb flux for sure!
  • Gwendalyne
    Gwendalyne Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    lol...I wish I knew...I was maintaining and then I decided to go back to losing...I want to get to 125lbs, and then I plan to zig zag calories in maintenance...but basically it's trial and error like losing weight. Going to 125lbs was a decision, so on days I do relax on eating, I can still be in a good range. I know our weight will naturally go up and down depending on tons of factors. but I believe if I stay between 125-128 I"m good :)...mostly focusing on toning my body right now
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    I have been maintaining for 6 months now, and I know what you mean. When I first decided to maintain I gained about 4 lbs then osculated for a few months between 2lbs over and 4lbs over. Now I am back to what I weighed when I started working on maintaining.

I workout 6 days a week for 1.5 to 2 hrs per day (3 days lifting weights, 3 days cardio only) and have been doing this for months now. I also eat an average of 2500 cals per day and will always watch what I eat. I eat a little of everything, but I can say I haven't been able to put any cakes, donuts or candies in my mouth, I do eat cookies on occasions. When I look at those sweets mentioned I just see way too many calories without any return (no nutrition) I also foresee sugar highs then crashes. That deters me from them.

I love who I am now and how I feel, and i never want to go back :)
  • getfitdiva
    Options
    lol...I wish I knew...I was maintaining and then I decided to go back to losing...I want to get to 125lbs, and then I plan to zig zag calories in maintenance...but basically it's trial and error like losing weight. Going to 125lbs was a decision, so on days I do relax on eating, I can still be in a good range. I know our weight will naturally go up and down depending on tons of factors. but I believe if I stay between 125-128 I"m good :)...mostly focusing on toning my body right now

Gwen you and I know I asked questions at least monthly LOL. You have been super inspiring for my journey. That's a good plan to zig zag and keeps your body guessing. I want to stay in the 120s so I guess if I see a #13X I will burn burn burn & strict eating again baby!
  • SWEETS1234
    SWEETS1234 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    that's a great idea slowly bring the calories up