So I just started working out, and I'm losing nothing?!

Options

Replies

• DenverKos
    DenverKos Posts: 182
    Options
    Maybe you're building up the muscles that's why there in no weight loss.

Physiologically speaking, It takes 6 to 8 weeks to actually start "building" muscle. You will notice gains in strength sooner than that, but those are neurological as your brain and nerves coordinate and learn how to recruit more muscle fibers when you lift, thus you'll feel stronger.

No matter what, keep exercising and worry about inches rather than weight loss. You seem to be eating back your calories and not in excess. If you haven't workout before, you body may just be in shock and trying to adjust to get used to it :) As some one else said, exercise is good for you in general, not just for weight loss.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're building up the muscles that's why there in no weight loss.

with 5 days of cardio?
  • kacdragon
    kacdragon Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    This would be a great time to take your measurements and do a reality check on how your clothes are fitting.

I have just restarted MFP, but when I was working out regularly (I use to be very athletic), plateaus were not uncommon. I'd gain muscle, lose fat and the scales remained the same... BUT my measurements would change drastically!

That is one reason I love MFP. Not only should we weigh-in regularly, but we should be taking those measurements as well.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Its only been 5 days!!! You should weigh in less, helps me a lot. This always happens to me when I up exercise or change it up, but then I get a big drop. I expect it now and wait for the big drop. Give it another week and you should see results. You look quite slim already so you do need to eat quite a few of your calories back. My advice? Ignore the scales for a week or so, then check... You may get a nice surprise! X
  • lmeksayo77
    Options
    The scale is our worst enemy..buy a tape measure (for clothing or bodies) and start measuring you will see a difference that way if you do all the above..I know it's still irritating to not see a drop on the scale, I have been there done that and still do it from time to time..but I know I am losing inches and muscle does weigh more than fat..and most of the time when you start working out you always actually gain a few pounds but still lose the inches eventually...also remember like stated above eat your calories..MFP has already deducted for your goal weigh loss..if you don't eat enough your body goes into starvation mode. :)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    This week? Get back to us in 1 or 2 months and evaluate then.
  • ssepolio80
    Options
    I use to have a personal trainer MANY years ago and she told me that once you start working out, you start gaining muscle (even if you do cardio alone) so be patient and give it a couple of weeks. Congrats on loosing 26 lbs, keep the working out up and I promise you will see a difference SOON!
  • nsimportant
    nsimportant Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Ok here we go again.
    Read this
    http://body-improvements.com/resources/eat/

And cardio doesnt build muscle.
  • Elona_30
    Options
    have you worked out before??? it could be that you are gaining muscles from what ypur doing and then you would be losing fat but gaining muscle and that weighs more then fat:happy:
  • audreygumm
    Options
    Best way to look at it....are your clothes feeling lose? That's the best feeling. And also when you log everything on MFP sometimes foods can be more calories then what is logged in here and portion size can be different. And also when you go for a walk or if you're riding the bike, the calories lost aren't always accurate. Also when you log that you exercised and lost those calories, MFP adds that back into your calories that you can eat for the day. If I were you I would Log your exercise at the end of the day. That way your consuming 1300 calories per say and then losing 200 with exercise, rather then consuming1500calories in a day. Also keep in mind, they say that 3,500 calories is roughly a pound. So it takes a lot to lose, but you can do it.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit confused by your post. You have it set to lose 1 pound a week, and it's only been 5 days. What exactly were you expecting to see?

Also note, the closer you are to your goal weight, the harder it's going to be to lose weight because you don't burn nearly as many calories during the course of the day. I'm pretty much at my goal weight, and if I had a net of 1600 calories a day, I wouldn't lose anything.

That exercise you're doing is probably only burning 150-200 calories at most. You'll need to burn more calories if you want to see faster results.
  • sallyaj
    sallyaj Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    On your bagel days, when you are pressed for time, try a few slices of oven roasted turkey lunchmeat (look for low sodium no nitrites if you can) on whole wheat with spinach leaves instead of lettuce. Baby spinach stays fresh in the fridge longer than lettuce and packs more nutrition punch. If you've got the calories to spare, spread some mashed avocado on it too. Delish! And you're getting protein/carbs/greens.

Keep up the great work with the exercise. You will see the pay off on the scale. You definitely will!
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    It just takes awhile!! You are gaining muscle when you work out! It will start coming off!
  • flabtofitness
    flabtofitness Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    come and follow my blog on facebook, im dieting and working out hard, i still got 6 stone to loose but lost 3 in 6months xx
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Flab-to-Fit-ness/143274295783336

my page is called flab to fit-ness please like my page xxx
  • deethinner
    deethinner Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    i am in the same boat. I have been dieting and working out for 3 weeks now. At first I lost 3lb. then gained that back!!! And I have no idea what I am doing wrong. I work out on the treadmil doing different workouts on it every day for one hour I use hand weights for other exercises and I have a hula hoop that I use about every other night. And I am watching all of my calories. And yet I have not lost anything including inches. It is very discouraging.
  • Tianzi
    Tianzi Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I agree to just be patient, you will probably see it dropping soon. I know how discouraging it is (and so does 99% of the people reading this) when you get on the scale after a great workout week or few days and ....same :( But being patient and still doing what you are doing is what it's all about. And, the weight will come off :) You seem to be doing everything right :wink:
  • Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Options
    You're metabolism has slowed down since now you are burning more than just dieting. It's what they call "starvation mode" basically When you dieted, you kept doing your normal routines. But with exercising, you actually burn more than just dieting alone. So you probably need to raise your calorie intake a bit.
  • dragonflybird
    Options
    Not sure what to do at the gym still? If you are intimidated by weight, don't worry. Try doing a lot of resistance training. My trainer usually has me doing circuits that look something like this:

1. Using 15 lb. weight do the following continuously 12 times.
    a. dead lift
    b. once you are up from the dead lift, do a bicep curl with both arms
    c. While holding the bicep curl, do a squat
    d. when coming up from the squat into a stand, press up the weights up above your head.

2. Side lunges 15 Xs per leg. Make sure your core is tight.
    3. Abs. While lying on your back cross one leg over the other and lift your butt off the ground ensuring that your abs and *kitten* are engaged. 15 X
    4. Plank - while in plank position touch each shoulder with opposite hand. Do not bounce and try to stay steady. 15 times each arm
    5. bench press with 15 lb weights one arm at a time. 15X each side.
    6. Ab work again. Lay down and squeeze something small in between your knees. Lift your butt. Now lift one leg straight, then the other as though you are marching. 20 X each leg.
    7. Mountain climbers as fast as you can for 1 minute.
    8. Side plans each side for as long as you can---at least try for 30 sec if you can.

AND REPEAT.

So there you ...those are the types of things I do at the gym. I also refer to www.bodyrock.tv It is the best website I've even seen for short workouts.
  • citygirltkv
    citygirltkv Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    WOW! Yea for you on the good food habits! AND, yea for you for adding in great cardio! I've just started this too, and am using WW to help me be more accountable with the food thing (I love to cook, and eat, so it's really hard). A trainer at my gym told me that a downside to WW can be that there's no tracking of calories, and that I should also do that. So here I am on MFP to do that and keep better track of my fitness. I like the mix of help, and their mobile apps are cool tools.

Apparently, when we don't get enough calories, it can screw with your metabolism...and when you mess with that, well, it's just not going to function like it should. As well, you are probably gaining muscle, which will add. Just keep it up. If you're at a gym, try to getting some advice from a trainer there as to what will be the best strategy. Usually they're glad to provide some basic advice.

Finally, vary up your routine, and be sure you're doing strengthening, cardio, and even some good stretching (yoga and pilates rock, and feel awesome). Variety can be key. I used for walk for miles, and lost weight well that way. Now, my body just sees that as maintenance. I still do it for the dog's happiness, though. :)

Keep up the good work!!
  • ammiehill79
    ammiehill79 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I didn't start really losing until I rid my body of all the built up gunk and basically jump started my system. I found hope in the AdvoCare 24 day challenge. I lost 7.6 lbs, 6 inches and 2 dress sizes and gained energy in 24 DAYS!!!!