Balancing Food When You're Awake 18hrs A Day

Options
So, my typical day consists of waking up at 3AM (sometimes 2:30AM), working from 4-noon, and then usually bed at 8-9PM.

What is a good way to balance out my cals/macros? I find it hard to remain under my count when I have a much longer day than most do?

Thanks!

Replies

• ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    If you feel the need to snack throughout the day maybe plan your meals/snacks out a few days in advance. Like when you go grocery shopping get food that's easy to divide into snack sizes, come on here and input your food into your food log the day before if you can, and have stuff planned to eat/made beforehand. If you need to divide your day into times to eat. I know at my last base I ate all the time, but here, I could easily go half the shift without eating. Not sure how your days go. If you're already doing any of this, then disregard.
  • hadlam
    hadlam Posts: 90
    Options
    I would break it down into 4 hourly lots and have a set amount of calories for each 4 hours. Then prepare food based on those calorie allowences. I'm like that though over organised and like things to run like clock work. :D

Good luck!
  • Chowder_17
    Chowder_17 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Thanks for some of the tips. My biggest issue is the timeframe while I'm at work (4am-noon). I'm hungry when I wake up, so I eat around 330 or 4, but then I want to eat breakfast at a "normal" time, then by 9-10AM I want lunch. I like to eat dinner with my family, so I try to eat sometime in the afternoon so I'm not starving by the time dinner rolls around.

I may try drinking a "jug" of water when I first wake up to rehydrate myself and so I'm not starving all morning.

I'm going to try to adjust my eating times/calorie allowance too.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I'm awake 18 hours a day, just not the same 18 hours are you. :wink: I'm up at 5:15am and not in bed until 11:15pm each evening. I work a FT executive job and then have 2 boys under 2 years old at home waiting for me.

If you are hungry then have a snack, just make it a healthy one. Veggies (with a little dip if needed), fruit, low calorie crackers w/laughing cow cheese, yogurt, etc.. It's ok to eat every 2-3 hours as long as it's healthy and you have portion control. :smile:
  • Embera
    Embera Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    im up almost that and i eat every 3 or 4 hours i get up at 8-10 and get back to sleep around 2 or 3 newborns are diffacult
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    eat six times a day..every three hours or at least five times