Juicing? Fat Sick and Nearly Dead?

Options
Has anyone seen Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead? This truly inspired me! If you havent watched it you should check it out! I am curious if anyone has tried juicing? Whats your story behind it? :o] I have a Jack LaLanne jucier... I am considering juicing for 10 days ..if anything just to cleanse. Curious what you guys have to say! :o]

Replies

• koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Research is a wonderful thing.
  • ErnestinesMom
    Options
    gave my juicer away...bought a vitamix...have a green drink daily (example: fresh spinach, kale, frozen blueberries, pineapple, carrots)...all the fiber ... great taste... easy clean up.
  • MommaPaz
    MommaPaz Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I recently watched it, and then tried the "reboot" program... Maybe its because I'm still nursing (the website told me not to do it) or because it was TOM but I was such a crabby witch by 3pm that I found my nearest not fruit/vegetable food and ate it. Not for me.
  • kneeki
    kneeki Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    It was a great documentary. Although, I personally believe that eating clean while exercising is a far superior method.
  • nmzeta
    nmzeta Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I bought a juicer after watching it. But never attempted to do the juicing only thing. I need the fiber in the fruit and veggies so I use a blender for smoothies most of the time. I do still juice twice a week though.
  • liveplantstrong
    Options
    Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead was a good film. Juicing is awesome. Blending green smoothies with greens and fruit is a great way to lose weight and get healthy as well. Read Green Smoothie Revolution and Green For Life.

Some other great documentaries to check out are, Forks Over Knives, Food Matters, and Food Inc. :smile:
  • Teelycart
    Options
    Been juicing off and on since November - I have lost 15 pounds and have been able to come off all blood pressure medicines and no longer need Ibuprofen daily for Inflammation and pain. Everywhere i go people comment on how I look so much better (glowing, radiant, happy are what is said.) My energy level is much better. I have a ways to go and juicing will definitely stay a part of the healthier lifestyle I am gaining.
    When people ask I tell them that I am eating whole-raw foods or eating clean - they accept that better than when you say juicing.
    Be sure you are getting more Omega 3 fatty acids than Omega 6's! Do some research and pay attention to how your body responds - much better after the first 3 or 4 days so persevere.
    Give it go! 10 days you will notice a huge difference!!

Blessings
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    LOVED the movie, too poor for a juicer. Maybe in the future though. We do have an awesome food processor and I make fruit/veggies smoothies sometimes.
  • CiaraLeeMaxwell
    CiaraLeeMaxwell Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    That is amazing! Currently I am follwing a 1200 cal. diet and exercising for at least an hour a day. I typically use my juicer in the morning and drink a glass for breakfast. I love the taste... I am not hard to please as I like all food lol.. thank you for your input! It sounds like a GO to me! :o]
  • dobenjam
    dobenjam Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I've never seen it but i juice daily. 2oz shot of wheat grass and ABC (apples, beats, carrots) or some kind of green juice. I only drink 8-12oz in the morning but it is awesome!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,359 Member
    Options
    I saw it and it was great!! I am not going to do juicing but It made me a beliver on dropping processed foods. I have been trying to eliminate the junk but this documentary convinced me that it is best for me and that food is killing us just as bad as smoking. I am going to watch it one more time before I return it to the library!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Research is a wonderful thing.

Exactly.

IMO no need. Eating clean is more sustainable. Juicing seems a bit unnecessary either way.
  • daunna1013
    Options
    That movie was excellent! Ive been dieing to try the cleanse ^.^ hope to hear how it goes for you!
  • IndigoVA
    IndigoVA Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    The one time in my life that I tried a juice fast, I found myself completely obsessing about food. It was literally all I could think about. I was supposed to stay on the fast for a week, but I stopped after 3 days because I couldn't stand it anymore. It might work for some people, but it definitely didn't work for me.
  • ddelynn5
    Options
    I haven't tried it myself, let me know if it works for you?::happy:
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    I would love to get a juicer, simply because I want to make my own juice. I don't think I'd do it for meal replacement though. It would just be nice to have fresh juices sometimes and the added nutrients would be an obvious bonus! :smile:
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I just watched it, too, and I'd be interested to see what the director/producer/guy ate after the cleanse to maintain. I don't think I can really sustain it, and I feel like I'll never do enough research to confirm whether or not it's a decision I'd make. BUT...it makes me want to incorporate more veggies into my diet, even though I eat quite a bit already. I'd also like to know if he did anything with all of the pulp and "refuse"-- it seems that there'd be a lot of fiber and other vitamins in the skin that he was missing out on, too.

It's made me rethink my macros, too. I think I've been eating too much protein, but without a real nutritionist's or doctor's advice, I feel like I'm just rationalizing stuff without any real knowledge or research or evidence.

Enjoyed the film, though. ;)
  • daves1grl
    Options
    I researched extensively and chose blending over juicing. I didn't like shooting all the nutritional pulp out the back. I do think juicing has it's benefits in certain situations. I also chose the Blend Tec blender over the Vitamix. They are both an investment so do your homework before you buy one. Greensmoothiegirl.com got me started and there are numerous raw food, smoothie, juicing websites and youtube videos. It has contributing to some amazing changes in my health. Happy blending!
  • Shriffee
    Shriffee Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I saw that and another documentary on juicing. I tried a juice fast and I could never make it without eating dinner. I did that for about seven days. That documentary seemed like it was just a way to promote the Reboost program. Personally, I don't think that I would ever try to do a juice fast again. I'd rather EAT my vegetables.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I love that documentary!