Elliptical sob-story

Options
I swim and jog 3 times a week. My BMI is currently 22. I consider myself pretty healthy (now that I have lost nearly 20 lbs--thanks MFP!) but I can't do the elliptical. And I mean I CAN'T do it. Whenever I step on the elliptical within a few minutes my chest hurts and then my head starts to feel funny as well. I thought at first I was amping the thing up beyond my ability, but just this morning I put in quick start (level 1) and held the hear rate sensors the whole time (I had originally thought that maybe the hand sticks were too much for me). After 9:45, my heart rate was 100 even and I wasn't near breaking a sweat and STILL I FELT LIKE CRAPOLA. What is going on? I can sweat and sweat on the stair-stepper and the stationary bike, or jog around the track for 30 + minutes but that elliptical!

Any ideas? (And no, I won't be getting back on the elliptical until I can talk to a dr. I was just hoping to hear from anyone who has had a similar experience or might have some insight...)

Thanks!

Replies

• joonieB
    joonieB Posts: 101
    Options
    I swim and jog 3 times a week. My BMI is currently 22. I consider myself pretty healthy (now that I have lost nearly 20 lbs--thanks MFP!) but I can't do the elliptical. And I mean I CAN'T do it. Whenever I step on the elliptical within a few minutes my chest hurts and then my head starts to feel funny as well. I thought at first I was amping the thing up beyond my ability, but just this morning I put in quick start (level 1) and held the hear rate sensors the whole time (I had originally thought that maybe the hand sticks were too much for me). After 9:45, my heart rate was 100 even and I wasn't near breaking a sweat and STILL I FELT LIKE CRAPOLA. What is going on? I can sweat and sweat on the stair-stepper and the stationary bike, or jog around the track for 30 + minutes but that elliptical!

Any ideas? (And no, I won't be getting back on the elliptical until I can talk to a dr. I was just hoping to hear from anyone who has had a similar experience or might have some insight...)

Thanks!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    have you tried different ones? My gym has like five kinds of ellipticals. I LOVE two of the kinds, but the others have a differently shaped movement or something, cause I HATE them.

but I guess what youre describing is not an uncomfortable feeling, but an ill feeling. IDK, but maybe try a different kind of machine?
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm, that usually only happens to me when I up my resistance and time intervals. :frown:

I would definitely talk to your doctor about it. :flowerforyou:
  • AmyLou9903
    Options
    Okay, this might sound weird, but do you have troubles with motion sickness? What about heights? Because the movement is so odd, and on a lot of ellipticals, you're up fairly high (3 feet or so off the ground), it could be throwing your balance off, making you feel weird and lightheaded.

OR---it could just be that despite being in shape, the muscles you need for this particular machine just aren't where they need to be. Hence the reason so many people cross-train. Last year, I worked myself up to doing 50 minutes of intense cardio and calesthentics, but I'd still get winded going up a flight of stairs. I wasn't doing the proper exercises/cross-training for that.

Definitely talk to a doc though, to rule out anything more serious.

HTH!
  • joonieB
    Options
    Interesting theory, AmyLou. Hadn't thought of that. But while I don't actually like heights and I have on rare occasions had motion sickness, this is definitely more of the chest pain variety. I walked around the track for a half hour this morning after being on the elliptical, just to feel better. A few weeks ago when I decided just to power through the pain (I know, totally stupid) it took me HOURS to feel better after a 20 minute work out. It's just so random, because of all the other workouts I do (and I do cross-train a lot) this is the only one that makes my chest hurt.
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    I agree with amylou about the motion affecting your equilibrium (sp?). Concerning the chest pain, try it without using the arm component, just using your legs. Maybe you will find that you can tolerate it better that way.
  • stahlight
    stahlight Posts: 119
    Options
    Elliptical is a lot like running without the impact - and it took me over a month to "learn" the motion and not fall off or overspeed or other issues.

It could be psycological - i can not do the stair climber that has the moving stairs... I can climb stairs fine, but that machine owns me.

You should see a doc, if its within your budget, etc. I also hate going to the doc and so on...

Lastly, if you can't do it, you can't do it, no regrets. Theres tons of other machines, and all the really matters is doing the exercise...
  • NicoleMikluscak
    Options
    Ellipticals are wacky - my right always falls asleep! :grumble:
  • NicoleMikluscak
    Options
    Ellipticals are wacky - my right always falls asleep! :grumble:
    oops - I meant my right foot
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I agree with amylou about the motion affecting your equilibrium (sp?). Concerning the chest pain, try it without using the arm component, just using your legs. Maybe you will find that you can tolerate it better that way.

I agree too. I find that when I get off of it or the treadmill I feel like I am floating...it is the strangest sensation. I do suffer from motion sickness and find that if I look around while on it I get very dizzy.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    :huh: I've always heard ellipticals weren't so great anyway. On this weightloss show I used to watch (it's a canadian show) the personal trainer called them "a fat person's favourite exercise" :laugh: he said they are actually kind of pointless because they don't mimic any action that you do in real life, so it's much better to get your cardio in my cycling or jogging. Now I do get that they're easier on your knees so ya, if you have knee problems that might be a good route, I'm not sure.

Just sharing a perspective :flowerforyou:

oh right, my point- there's no reason why you have to use an elliptical especially if it's not feeling right for you. Do something else instead.
  • joonieB
    Options
    Hey Kerri,

Thanks for the perspective--I'm glad to hear they aren't all that!
    I've wondered if they actually burn all those calories that people say....
    of course now I sound like sour grapes!