Trust a Pessimist?

Options
This topic came up in my Healthy Living class last night in school. I found the subject interesting and would like to get other people's perspectives on it.

We all know that optimists think they can conquer anything and it will all work out in their favor. While pessimists tend to prepare for and predict the worst. So here are my questions:

Given the nature of how optimists think can they build trust with a naturally pessimistic person? And vice versa.

I'd like to get your feedback- both optimists and pessimists please feel free share your opinion. Thanks!

:smile:

Replies

• I_give_it_2_u_str8
    I_give_it_2_u_str8 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    i was going to answer, but does really...whats the point, we're all gonna die one day
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    i was going to answer, but does really...whats the point, we're all gonna die one day
    You before me
  • I_give_it_2_u_str8
    I_give_it_2_u_str8 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    i dont trust you
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Hm, that is an interesting question and I'm going to spit-ball an answer on a high level since I can't think of a specific example and you didn't give one.

Trust is more of an earned thing based on behavior IMHO but I guess there is always a basic amount of trust built when one starts a relationship of some sort with another person (be it personal or business). I would think the optomist would be likely to trust pretty much everyone at first. While the pessimist would be more wary and less likely to to trust anyone.

However, I think as the optimist and pessimist develop their relationship over time, they can build more trust (or lose trust if there are negative actions) based on their others behavior.
  • jesscoon
    Options
    i dont trust you

LOL.
  • chrischinchilla
    chrischinchilla Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Optimism and pessimism are two sides of the same false coin. One has to strike a balance that says that obstacles ARE going to show up BUT they can be overcome. Optimists in my experience tend to trick their minds into the "positive" attitude that the obstacles aren't even there, and pessimists see nothing but obstacles. What's the term for that right balance? Self-confidence. Optimists fake it; pessimists fear it. But the self-confident man or woman strides forward with a smile, expecting neither the worst nor the best; instead he expects his work to pay off, and he relies on his own effort to do it. Sure, I think an optimist and a pessimist can be friendly and even develop trust, because misery loves company, whether it's wearing a happy-go-lucky cheese-eating grin or a jittery frown. But the self-confident man often has little use for either of them, and strides past them fairly quickly.
  • jesscoon
    Options
    Awesome thought Chris!