exercise vs. no exercise

Options
When it comes to losing weight does it really matter if you exercise? I know exercising is best for your health, but I'm just curious about weight loss. I usually eat about 1500 calories a day and burn around 300 through aerobics, but on days I don't work out I adjust my calories to eat only 1200. So I'm wondering, in terms of weight loss, does exercise really matter if at the end of the day my net total for calories is 1200?

Replies

• ceilidh92
    ceilidh92 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I would assume that it probably doesn't really matter if in general you still exercise at times. The thought that exercise burns calories is a definite plus but what it actually helps is maintain a healthy metabolism. You see if you don’t exercise but you drop your calories down to a point where you are somewhat starving your body, it will adjust its metabolism to accommodate the new caloric norm. In other words go into starvation mode.

But if you give it plenty of calories on the days when you exercise, you trick it into thinking that is the norm and your body will burn more calories because it doesn’t need to be in a starvation mode. Then if you add the exercise, it doesn’t equate the calories taken in and the exercise you do. So then you burn calories at that higher rate, which in turn helps expedite the weight loss.

Well at least that’s what I gather. But I could be mistaken and someone may have a better understand on how it all works. All I know is that exercise is a good friend to any weight loss program you choose to tackle. For myself, I started up Square Dancing this year to burn additional calories. Along with that I trying to play a rigorous game on Wii (like tennis, boxing, or something like that), whenever possible. It’s all in making it fun not a chore!

Good luck on your personal goal! We’re all in it together…
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options

But if you give it plenty of calories on the days when you exercise, you trick it into thinking that is the norm and your body will burn more calories because it doesn’t need to be in a starvation mode. Then if you add the exercise, it doesn’t equate the calories taken in and the exercise you do. So then you burn calories at that higher rate, which in turn helps expedite the weight loss.

If your body doesn't equate the calories burned to the exercise you do, why do we have to eat our exercise calories back? I never have and still lost, though I may have one extra treat on day I've exercised or carbs with dinner that day I don't eat them all back even if I've burned as many as 1,000 extra.
  • ceilidh92
    ceilidh92 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    After I worte this, I noticed a post regarding exactly what you asked. I read the article and unfortunately it didn';t sink in for me, I may need to read it again to truly understand what they were talking about.

But in general they gave information on how the human body metabolism works and how excercise and calories work together. Like I mentioned, there are brighter people out there than me that understand this, so I believe them more than myself.

But nonetheless, i shoot for my goal caloric intake and with or without excercise and it seems to work. It's a rare day in May that I actually fall significally below my target caloric goal so I rarely need help in eating the calories back.

So if I read the article over again, I will try to answer back with a much better response. :smile:

Sincerely,
    David
  • avg1986
    avg1986 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I posted a thread similar to this, if you can access it through my profile then go and have a look because there is some useful information on there, i Cant copy the link to you as im on my phobe!

Anna xx
  • Kayla165
    Kayla165 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Exercise is good for everyone even if you are not trying to lose weight. Exercise is good for your heart and brain. So I think that everyone who is healthy enough to exercise should.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit for weightloss, excersize for health. That said, you will never be happy be yourself if you neglect your health.
    Not saying that you are.. but people want real results, they shouldn't be looking for a way out of work.