Is it really necessary to lift weights in order to tone up?

Options
2»

Replies

• tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    different programs have different rough ranges.

But generally, you lift (with good form) until the last 2-3 reps are difficult, almost impossible (while being safe) to do anymore. I personally feel, you should be able to put your weight down safely and controlled also. If all you can do is drop it (assuming you are not doing super heavy lifting) then to me, thats a bit to heavy for you.

8-10 reps is the general "low" range. But some programs use 5-8 reps. Depends on your speed, weight ranges used, type of program used, training style, goals, sets used etc. Some programs use a 12-15 range. Depending on the exercise type, and body area, weight levels you have to use, 15-20 may be the correct range.

Usually over 15 or more is something you do with a lower weight, and is done more for a cardio type workout, or endurance.

But not really for strengthening, or building muscle. And you should always be increasing your weight, no matter what you use rep wise. If you are doing 15 reps, or the same exercise for a year or two - you need to lift heaver. :)

I aim for lower reps, so I like to be under 10. 6-8s also good. If I am getting to 12 reps, consistently, I start to up my weight, or change the way I am challenged. (maybe adding in a balance component for example)

But with some things, I am not at the place I can lift heavy enough at that range, 6-10 is to easy for me. But when I go up in weights, its to hard to even do 2-3 reps with good and safe form. So in those cases, I would be doing something closer to 12-16 reps - but I am actively working toward a higher weight , with lower reps.

I also do a faster circuit type workout, as opposed to something like a slower focused workout on one body area only, muscle group only. So I do upper body one day, but go through many different exercises, three or more sets (alternating muscles used) with the same larger muscle groups, very fast, almost in a cardio type format. (I do P90X, P90x2) Some days, like today, I have a full body workout, hitting upper and lower body, front and back, but less sets for each.

But someone, who lifts very heavy, or very focused, on specific muscles, would do less reps, slower speeds. So their rep count is a bit different. I don't do that type of lifting, so not really able to give accurate info there. :)

I am not an expert, we have many more experenced, better informed folks on here then me, that can probably give you more specifics on weight lifting rules based on your needs. This is just what has been consistantly working well for me. And I have tried a varied of things, but lifting heavier, lower reps, with some cardio thrown in - this is what consitantly keeps giveing me the best results.

Jamie Eason online Training Program is free and good.

New Rules For lifting for Women, book is great.

However both of those do have some exercises that must be done in a gym setting, unless you modify for home use. So a home user would need to adjust. Or a beginner may have a bit of difficulty with form. You tube can help with that.

I like P90X, as I can do it all from home. But you do need to invest in dumbbells and such, which can get pricey. But at first you only need lighter ones, and you can slowly add on a piece at a time, as you improve. You can also do the program with progressively heavier resistance bands, but for me, I get much better results with dumbbells. The program is also not cheap, but they do payments. And i have done it so many times, and am challenged every time - so for me its a good investment.

Really its back to what works for you, your needs, your budget. Something you like and enjoy, and there are many ways to add in resistance and strength training.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Muscle tone and conditioning come from resistance training. While you can do body resistance training, it eventually becomes easier as you lose weight since the resistance also decreases.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    In my own experience, cardio was certainly helpful, but it only got me so far. I had been running for about a year, and was finishing up my marathon training at the end of last summer. I had been stuck at the picture on the left (see profile photo) for MONTHS - about 6 months to be exact. I was so frustrated.

Then I started lifting weights. Heavy weights at low reps. Look at my photo - they show me the day I started lifting in August, then in September, November and December. It made a major difference when it came to the end of my weight loss/fitness journey :)

You just have to decide what your goals are/what you want, and balance it with a lifestyle you can life with :) Best!

I am seeing this a lot here, heavier weights with lower reps. How many reps do you do per set?

I usually do 4-8 reps per set.

To the OP: I wouldn't say your efforts with cardio are useless, but as most other people are saying, you really do need to incorporate some strength routines into your workouts if you want the best results (ie: toning)
    It also helps reduce the risk a lot of problems as we age such as osteoporosis which is always a plus :smile:
  • Aerodynamicism
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Chuckles217's answer made me look up Jillian Michaels and I've decided to start her No More Trouble Zones for strength training and Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism for a more intensive cardio workout. I'll probably continue jogging, if I have the energy. If I don't get results from that, there's no hope for me whatsoever. :ohwell:
  • JustLena75
    Options
    OK I'm going to try this, I started tonight at the gym. I upped my weights and did 5 reps per set...
    Thanks for the good info!
  • Ariana_75
    Ariana_75 Posts: 224
    Options
    I've always hated exercise, but have always hated my body so my answer to this was losing weight by calorie restriction only. I realised this would never give me a body I'd be happy with so I recently started jogging (thirty-forty five minutes per day) and I actually love it. I don't dread doing it anymore, like I used to when I set myself an exercise goal. But, hearing that my efforts are wasted unless I'm doing weight training everywhere is a bit depressing. I haven't been doing it long enough to see for myself any results, or non-results so I'd like to know about people's experiences with jogging/running, and if it helped you any.

Thanks!
    I would say absolutely 'YES' it is necessary!! Cardio will help you lose fat, but it won't help too much with muscle tone.