PCOS

Options

Replies

• amawaldo
    Options
    Sorry that I don't have any advice about HOW to lose weight with PCOS, but I wanted to echo other people's props to you for sticking with your diet and training program. My understanding is that although it may be harder for you to lose weight and maintain a healthy weight, doing so can really help you both with the insulin resistance and the other symptoms. Keep at it - we'll be rooting for you!
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed at 12. On an ordinary low-calorie, clean diet I am able to maintain weight loss but, lose very little. However, while following the Paleo (Primal, caveman...) diet the weight comes off much quicker. Since it isn't a lifestyle I can follow all the time I do a few 45(ish) challenges a year. Then the rest of the year I maintain what was lost. Send a friend request if you'd like more information. I'm currently on day 13 of a 50 day challenge and have dropped 5 pounds (admittedly, the first couple were most likely water weight).
  • SalishSea
    SalishSea Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Let me say, I am so sorry so many of you are struggling with a chronic illness. It is so difficult to manage life with chronic symptoms. I am glad so many of you have found foods, medication and exercises that help you to feel better.
    I have endometriosis. Another gynecology condition. The pain was excruciating for years. All I could do was sleep and work. The only reason I dragged myself to work was to maintain my health insurance. Having insurance was life or death for me. No choice but to work through the searing pain.
    I found a gifted surgeon and am now 6 months post-op. I still have twinges of pain but nothing like before.

A medication I was put on for my endo made me gain 50 lbs in a few months. Between the medication and the pain there was no way I could lose weight. I was so miserable. Interestingly, I had the impression from many people that I was an overweight person because I was lazy and over ate. This was not the case. Now I don't look at people as obese because I know they may have a chronic illness and they are just happy to be alive.

We can be healthy even with our chronic debilitating conditions. Being healthy makes us feel better.
  • Shellysue205
    Options
    I also have PCOS. My doctor just laughed and wished me luck with weight loss. He told me that it was going to be four times as hard as for those without PCOS. I just sort of gave up at that point and gained and gained. Have now tried a few different diets. Did herbal life, but quickly got sick of drinking my meals. Most recently weight watchers. I like the support of weight watchers and having to be accountable and weighing in with someone each week. But, most recently I just formed a group at work that I have to encourage and keep motivated. I have thirteen people and myself. And it makes a huge impact on me to be more accountable and honest when I know they are all looking to me for motivation. This was week two of weighing in and I lost 10.8 pounds. I am sure most of this was water weight, but still very excited. I need to get motivated with the exercise part of it. But this last week, I gave up pop, started counting calories and am sticking to around 1750 calories daily.

It is good to hear of others with PCOS and that others share the same struggles as I do.
  • clarebear1982
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2009 which helped explain some of my wait gain, missing periods and feeling lethargic. I bought 'The Ultimate PCOS Handbook' by Colette Harris & Theresa Cheung which became my bible for the next 7 months. In that time I went from 15 stone (210 lbs) to 11 stone (154 lbs) so a total loss of 4 stone (56 lbs). I achieved this through eating all the right foods suggested in the book: wholegrains, lean meat, loads of fresh fruit and vegetables, and also low calorie: about 800 per day! I also exercised 7 days a week for at least 1 hour. I started running and, although i'm not the world's fastest (I'm also athsmatic), it worked for me. I ran/walked a 10k that year in 1 hr, 47 minutes. The following year I did the same 10k in Glasgow in a time of 1hr, 17 minutes.

So, feeling pretty good about myself, I gradually reintroduced a few things from my old diet and allowed myself treats. I also cut back on the exercise to 3-4 times a week. That was a year ago, and since then I've put on just over a stone of what I lost (16 lbs) :( I would say I still have a generally healthy diet, and stick to 1200 a day using MFP to keep me in check. I also exercise regularly but the weight has crept back on.

To me, this proves that the diet advice in the book was right - so I've started following it again this week! I've also upped my dosage of chromium picolinate and vitamin B supplements as I feel these also made a difference.

Wish me luck!!

7043033.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • cassiejo84
    cassiejo84 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS. I was diagnosed when I was 18, about a year after I gave birth to my first daughter and put on 50lbs in a matter of months. I started getting the facial hair (which is utterly depressing), having odd periods, etc. My PCOS isn't well maintained because I can't seem to find a doctor that really takes it seriously. They tend to think I just need to lose weight and see them if I need clomid for infertility...but I have had 4 children without needing help, because even though I rarely ovulate, I can tell when I do.
    Anyways, I have managed to lose 80lbs twice but have gained it back both times. This time, I am going lower carb (but not too low as I know I won't stick to that), and I am going to see about going back on my Metformin.
  • cassiejo84
    cassiejo84 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Also, ladies out there struggling with ttc/infertility...my heart goes out to you. I had a hard time getting pregnant with my son because I wasn't ovulating for almost a year, and then one day it just happened for me. I pray it just happens for you as well. ((hugs))
  • mattie733
    Options
    Hello everyone I am new to mfp. I do have PCOS and I ruined a marraige because I saw no hope in having a baby because of fincial issues and having PCOS.
    I am hoping to get support and tips in dealing with weightloss or lack of and PCOS.

Please friend me if you would like. I would love the support!!
  • Aunty_Em
    Options
    Hey Ladies!

I'm so glad a friend introduced me to MFP! I too have PCOS and was diagnosed by my Endocrinologist 3 years ago. I was prescribed Metformin (1500mg a day) but it bothers my stomach too much. I have difficulty losing weight, rarely have a period, and I'm tired all the time! It's nice to know there are others out there that understand what a daily struggle we face! Good luck to all of you in your journey. Feel free to add me.
  • lexif14
    lexif14 Posts: 23
    Options
    Hello all

I was diagnoised with PCOS when I was 15. Up until I turned 26 it never really affected me. But now I even think the word sugar and I put on 5 KG. I've put on over 25kgs in a year. I have had to radically change my diet to a diabeties style diet, (sugar free and very low carb) and a solid 30 minutes of cardio and/or weights exercise 3 to 4 times a week. It is hard I will admit but I have found this to be a tatic that is finally working for me. I've lost almost 6 kilo's now I just have another 20 to go.

Please add me as a friend, its been good to see other people have struggled with this as much as I have and hate this condition as much as I do.

good luck keep up with it
    Lexi:wink:
  • cjwolfjen
    cjwolfjen Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    i have a friend who lost over 40 lbs on the HCG diet. Look into it. She has PCOS and nothing worked for her, but that did.
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and other conditions but am borderline type II diabetic also.

The insulin resistance has led me to MFP on a low carb plan. I changed my goals for my food diary so I only eat 100 carbs per day and I have been losing steadily since October.

Lowering sodium helps too.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and it definitely makes weightloss harder --- especially if you end up with Type II diabetes on top of that. Two insulin resistance diseases is a double whammy.

Eating lower carb (I'm not talking about freaky zero carb ketosis phase) -- good carbs -- quinoa, millet, whole grains etc.
    Avoid added sugar, refined flour (white bread, donuts, pasta, rice, pie) etc..

There are also several PCOS groups on here if you click on "groups" --- its an extremely common issue that many people don't even realize they have for awhile. For me, it was the infertility issue and not being able to have kids that prompte the diagnosis - many years ago.
  • athearenee
    Options
    Hi There~

I was diagnosed with PCOS 11 years ago.
    I have tried just about every diet in the book with good, but not lasting success.
    Last Year My Gyno actually said I was lucky (say wha?) because I have a "magic bullet" to lose weight.
    She told me to stay away from Sugar and Wheat. I didn't listen ...until now...
    When I started MFP I was 301 lbs.... I was sick.
    I started my New Life January 1, 2012 and have lost 15 lbs so far.
    My diet consists of Lean Protein, Whole Grains, Vegetables, a little fruit and a little dairy.
    I drink water, tea and coffee and exercise 4x a week.

You have to be careful be Sugar/Wheat are in so many things and have many different names.

I was told what to do, but it wasn't until my sister said "maybe you should get that gastric bypass surgery" that I knew what I had to do.

Hope this helps.

Take Care

Athea Renee :flowerforyou:
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and it definitely makes weightloss harder --- especially if you end up with Type II diabetes on top of that. Two insulin resistance diseases is a double whammy.

Eating lower carb (I'm not talking about freaky zero carb ketosis phase) -- good carbs -- quinoa, millet, whole grains etc.
    Avoid added sugar, refined flour (white bread, donuts, pasta, rice, pie) etc..

There are also several PCOS groups on here if you click on "groups" --- its an extremely common issue that many people don't even realize they have for awhile. For me, it was the infertility issue and not being able to have kids that prompte the diagnosis - many years ago.

^^^^ This is exactly right. Exactly my situation and exactly what I am doing. You can't go the Atkins no-carb route (not healthy! not sustainable!) and you can't live off of less than 1200 cals per day (not healthy! not sustainable!). I read that for PCOS the best target number is 100 carbs per day if you want to lose weight. You will be amazed by how the weight just falls right off when you steady and lower your carb intake!! I don't do any added sugar. I take lots of vitamins. MFP has completely given me HOPE and made it easy to track what I'm actually putting in my body. I am not a fan of the HCG approach. Simple eating better and exercising WILL help you lose weight. I promise.
  • Elizabeth2point0
    Options
    What does your trainer say about this?
    If you're losing inches, then it sounds like you're simply gaining muscle.. I wouldn't necessarily worry about this.
    Hello all!

I'm new to this place so i thought i'd introduce myself and while here ask a question...

I was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) and was told that it will be very difficult for me to lose weight and am more likely to gain weight very fast.

So I hired a trianer, have spent waaaay too much money with weight loss programs (Herbal Magic anyone?) and have actually gained 20 pounds (lost 8 inches) since starting with the trainer 3 times a week and following the strict Herbal Magic diet.

does anyone with PCOS have any suggestions on how to get my weight lower? I do not want to give up but am getting tired of the scale going the wrong direction when i'm doing all the "right" things...

I have to hand in a daily journal on what I eat to my trainer and my diet centre - i do not lie about anything i've eaten and I even divulge when i've had a piece of gum because i want this so badly.

suggestions?
  • jillellice
    jillellice Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Wow! That's amazing! I'm currently seeing an endocrinologist for my PCOS. She is sending me for a load of blood work to see exactly what is going on. I also have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis so that is getting checked too. I never imagine a food allergy could do all that to you. I will question her when I go back for follow up. What food are you allergic to?

14245846.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • allishax9918
    Options
    Keep up the good work ladies..We can do this!
  • allishax9918
    Options
    Why is it that I hear so often that it's harder for us girls with PCOS to lose weight? Is that true? And if so..why? lol
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Why is it that I hear so often that it's harder for us girls with PCOS to lose weight? Is that true? And if so..why? lol

Yup its very true...

PCOS = hormone overload. Specifically insulin as this does not receive well by the body and thus has a hard time shutting off when you eat the wrong kinds of foods...

The intensity of each PCOS case will be different than the next and there are no text-book cases... My ovaries are free of any cysts, but I had hormones up the ying-yang off the charts so bad, it was causing hepatitis!!!!!!!!!!!!

Found food related allergies and sensitivities through rigorous tests and blood-work... matter of fact, I had a recent flare up (again, ugh!) and my lip is really raw right now - like a sunburn!

But, the Endo that is working with me is highly regarded for her work with PCOS in five different countries.... and so far, things are going VERY WELL... and therefore, I have told her she may not leave the USA and must be cloned so that I may have her advice 24/7 at my disposal - her husband may have a say in the process but I do not have to listen if I dont want to! BWAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAAA!!!!!!!