roasted veggies - so yummy

Options
kandrews24
kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
My latest love is roasted veggies!

Almost all veggies taste better roasted (rather than steamed).

Here's what I do (it is pretty simple):

- wash and cut veggies
- toss in olive oil (in a gallon zip lock bag)
- put in greased baking pan and bake at 400
- bake for at least an hour for potatoes etc.; half an hour for broccoli etc.

(my trick is that I cut up the veggies that take longer to cook first and throw them in the oven, then start cutting up the rest continuing in that order and keep adding them)

- season to taste (salt, pepper, rosemary, garlic, basil, etc.)

You can do one veggie alone (like brussel sprouts or squash), or you can do a medley.

You can also add sunflower seeds near the end.

Feel free to top with avocado, cheese, and/or sliced tomatoes

Can serve alone or with rice.

I make a big batch in a 9x13 glass baking pan and it lasts several days. So yummy, so filling, so healthy, so low-cal!!!!!!

Squash is a little unique. Take the squash, poke it with a fork, put entire squash in oven for 20 minutes. Then pull it out and cut it up and toss it on top of the other roasted veggies.

My favorite veggies to roast are:

potatoes
turnips
brussel sprouts
pearl onions
broccoli
cauliflower
squash (lots of varieties - pumpkin, butternut, acorn, etc.)

The trick is the keep the veggies large enough that they are separate (not become mush), and bake them long enough that they brown (but don't burn).

It makes for a very attractive dish.

Enjoy!

Replies

• thenewmaryb
    Options
    I've done this very thing myself! I love them! Green beans are great too! Chunks of tomatoes, onions, etc. pretty much anything. You feel like you can eat a whole bunch and they're quite filing, really. I usually just shake them in a bag with olive oil and some salt & pepper, maybe a dash of garlic powder or onion salt.. throw 'em in a pan....super easy! I've never added sunflower seeds, but I like that idea. Yum!
  • kyoules
    kyoules Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I ADORE roasted vegetables, of any type! Don't forget about beets - they are awesome roasted. I wash them (leave skin on), toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper, then wrap them individually with aluminum foil. Roast at 400 for about an hour (more if they are really large), until fork tender, and after they cool a bit you can rub the skins right off. I've then chopped them to use in salads, sliced them and tossed with a lime vinaigrette, or eaten them just as they are.

Another favorite roasted vegetable recipe is Martha Stewart's Roasted Fall Vegetables. It includes butternut squash, carrots, potatoes, and red onions, tossed with olive oil, minced or pressed garlic, and salt and pepper. You can also puree the leftovers (if there are any) for a delicious roasted vegetable soup. Here is the recipe: http://www.marthastewart.com/339872/roasted-fall-vegetables

Last night I made an delicious Roasted Vegetable Curry from Moosewood's Simple Suppers cookbook. The recipe had cauliflower, sweet potatoes, and onions, and I added red potatoes and next time I'll also add peas. You roast the vegetables and then pour a basic curry sauce over them and return to the oven for a few minutes. I served it with couscous since I didn't have enough time to make brown rice.
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    yummmmmmmmmmmm
  • u2fergus
    u2fergus Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting! :)
  • simplyeater
    simplyeater Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Don't forget parsnips, rutabaga, and celeriac. All delicious roasted!!!
  • TheLongRunner
    TheLongRunner Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    YUMMY! My life has changed since you have introduced me to roasted veggies!!!!
  • kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I'm loving all these great ideas. Many thanks!
  • albali
    albali Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I roast courgettes, aubergine, red onion, black olives and garlic! Serve with couscous and feta cheese! It's the best!
  • jpowers416
    jpowers416 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I just made a batch tonight for dinner :)
  • kerilou825
    Options
    You can also slice up some chicken sausage, toss it with the veggies and sprinkle generously with Italian seasoning and you have a complete meal!