Tilapia

Options
chellefatfree
chellefatfree Posts: 90 Member
So I am thinking of having fish for supper tonight...more specifically Tilapia. Any cooking suggestions/ideas? I usually just spice it and broil it but getting kind of bored with that.

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    wrap it in bacon and bake it
  • mnishi
    mnishi Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Wrap it in some tin foil with lemon juice (real lemon juice) and some pepper and steam it in the oven for 10-15 min. So yummy and tender.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,420 Member
    Options
    Search the recipe forum for "puffed tilapia". It's incredible! Kinda high in sodium though if that's an issue for you.
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    papillote is fun. Wrap it in parchment paper and bake. Add lemon juice, a touch of white wine, and veggies : julienned carrots/red pepper/leeks/grape tomatoes/greens & fresh herbs like parsley or rosemary or whatever veggies & herbs you have on hand. Since it's wrapped up, it's getting a lovely steam.
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I sprinkle with Old Bay seasoning, wrap in foil, put on a baking sheet and bake for about 20-25 minutes
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I always find myself scrambling it up with egg whites, spinach and some sort of soft cheese (goat! neufchatel!) and a buttload of Mrs. Dash.
  • hollin40
    hollin40 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I love Tony Cachere's on mine with lemon and garlic...broiled or grilled on the grill. I had tilapia last night!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    So I am thinking of having fish for supper tonight...more specifically Tilapia. Any cooking suggestions/ideas? I usually just spice it and broil it but getting kind of bored with that.

Seasoned panko crumbs

Wash: one egg, 1/4 C canola oil, 1 TB Dijon mustard - whip up..

Dip the tilapia in the wash, coat with bread crumbs and either do a pan fry or an oven bake..

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH BABY!
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    i sautee mine in coconut oil (unrefined and organic), lime juice, cumin. whenit is done I sprinkle some unsweetened shredded coconut and more lime juice.....

naturally I'll have it with a margarita! Have fun with foods!
  • Carlamere84
    Options
    Tilapia is a very bland tasting fish, to me. I'd get fish seasoning, salt, pepper, and/or I've heard on putting mayo on fish....but that may be fattening.
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    i just found this combo for my basa filets...black pepper, lots of dried thyme, and plum sauce! broil the plum sauce at the end, so good!!
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • christinezappella
    christinezappella Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm with en papillotte--but you can do in it in silver foil if you don't have parchment. I put fish in with olve oil, garlic, lemon slices, capes, olives. numnumnumnum
  • kuku4keith
    Options
    I steam it in a frying pan with water, lemon and dill. Cook until it flakes
  • ShannanRenae
    Options
    Baked, with lemon juice, a dab of butter & sum lemon pepper & ur GOOD 15-20 mins~ Delish!
  • Xarou
    Xarou Posts: 8
    Options
    Someone posted this in a different tilapia thread, but it is amazing.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/blackened-tilapia-with-secret-hobo-spices/detail.aspx
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Tilapia just tastes like chewing on a wad of paper to me. Weird.
  • samanthar83
    Options
    I steam mine with brown rice (in a rice cooker/steamer) with crushed garlic, rosemary, kosher salt, a touch of soy sauce, chili powder and pepper. It is delicious, no butter needed :)
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I pan cook mine in olive oil, then add garlic, onions and peppers to the fish, then serve the crumbled tilapia mixed with the veggies on top of some brown rice.

LOVE IT!
  • CarlaAnn15
    CarlaAnn15 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fish eater but when I do, I use the Panko Crumbs, season with a little salt & pepper and Mrs Dash. I mix one egg with a little water, dip the fish in the egg/water mix then in panko crumbs... Bake at 350 on a foil lined baking sheet sprayed with non stick cooking spray, flipping a few times while cooking.