Any Healthy Soup recipe Ideas?

Options
kmaug
kmaug Posts: 23
I buy soup everyday for lunch and its getting spending... I wanted to know if any one has and recipes for healthy soup.... im a fan of about anything :happy:

Replies

• kmaug
    kmaug Posts: 23
    Options
    I buy soup everyday for lunch and its getting spending... I wanted to know if any one has and recipes for healthy soup.... im a fan of about anything :happy:
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    im going to make taco soup tonight. if the calories come out the way i think they will, i will post the recipe :smile:
  • 2bfitornot2b
    Options
    This recipe was listed in the recipes here on MFP and it's great. I made a few adjustments as we like spicy, so added jalepenos and wanted more veggies so added whatever I had on hand - kale was one of them and it was delicious! My husband loves to take the leftovers to work for his lunch I served it with a serving of brown rice too.

2 sm. cans or 1 lg. can of chicken and rice soup.
    2 cans of Rotel, drained.
    4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts.
    4 cans of fat free chicken broth.
    Put together in a soup pot. and cook until chicken is done.
    Cut chicken into cubes or shred.
    Return chicken to pot.
    Add 16 oz of frozen corn and simmer until corn is cooked.
    Add 1 - 2 cans of black beans, rinsed and drained.
    Long grain rice can be added for extra thickness for a complete meal in a bowl.
    Serve hot with lowfat sharp cheddar cheese sprinkled on top.
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Crockpot!

I make split pea soup, chicken noodle soup (I omit the noodles - don't really need them if you load up on the veggies), beef stew, asian chicken soup, and minnestrone soup.

I also have mama's concoctions, which is basically whatever I have in the house. The last time I put the following in the crock:

- sliced yams
    -can of red kidney beads
    -can of white beans
    -can of diced tomatoes
    -sliced celery
    -sliced onion
    -beef broth
    -spices

Turns out great (and different) every time :laugh:

I freeze batches in individual sized tuperware for work lunches.
  • marisa0918
    marisa0918 Posts: 178
    Options
    I make a beef stew (not really stew but I still call it stew lol) I just calculated the recipe and for the whole pot it has about 1600 but it would depend on how many potatoes you use and how much meat. Anyways it is super easy and it is good if you like meat and potatoes.

Simmer a package of stew meat on the stove in water.
    Add some parsley (fresh is always better but I sometimes just use the flakes)
    Add salt and pepper
    After about 20 mins or so add in some baby carrots (I'm lazy I don't even cut them into little pieces)
    Let the carrot cook for a while then throw in a couple skinned cut of potatoes.
    Let the potatoes cook till they get soft then enjoy

Also chile is good and easy
    1 package browned turkey meat or hamburger
    1 large can diced tomatoes
    1 can rotel
    1 can dark red kidney beans
    some chile powder
    I usually add about 1 large can of water
    Mix everything together and simmer on the stove
  • NicoleMikluscak
    Options
    Weight Watchers has a great soup recipe called Skinny Soup.

Skinny Soup
    Servings | 8 LARGE
    Estimated POINTS® value per serving | 2
    Course | Soups

1 cup onion
    1 cup carrot
    1 breast uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breast
    12 cup fat-free chicken broth
    1 cup celery
    1 cup turnip
    1 cup parsnip
    1 cup beets
    2 tsp minced garlic
    1 tbsp vinegar
    1 oz lemon juice, juice from 1 lemon
    1 cup sweet red pepper
    2 tsp thyme
    1 tbsp basil
    1 cup canned tomatoes
    1 tsp olive oil
    1 cup green snap beans
    1 Lg portobello mushroom
    1/4 cup fat-free sour cream
    1 bunch of parsley

Instructions

Dice chicken and vegetables to uniform size, about 3/4 inch length or cubes.
    In a LARGE pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Stir in diced chicken until just colored.
    Add the diced onions, carrots, celery, turnip, parsnip, beets, vinegar, garlic, lemon juice, beans, red pepper, mushrooms, and just enough chicken broth to barely cover.
    Cover tightly and cook over medium high heat for 20 minutes or until vegetables are slightly softened.
    Add remainder of broth, fresh thyme, basil, and tomato paste and simmer for 40 minutes or longer if vegetables are not cooked to your preference.
    Serve each bowl garnished with one tsp dollop of fat free sour cream, and a sprig of parsley.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,943 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I make chicken soup from scratch. It's time consuming but freezes. I start with a real chicken and two quarts of water. Simmer for 2 hours, cool, pick the chicken off the bones. Then refrigerate the chicken in one bowl and the broth in another. Next day, skim the fat off the soup, then add carrots, celery, onions, parsnips and simmer for 30 minutes.

A serving of broth and veggies is very low cal and you can weigh the chicken you add and keep the calories low. It's low fat and low sodium.. Store bought chicken broth is very high in sodium.

The extra broth can be frozen and used later as the base for other soup recipes. The American heart Association cookbook has some healthy lower calorie, low fat., low sodim soup recipes.

:flowerforyou: :bigsmile: