How do you burn 500, 600, 1,000+ cal at the gym?

Options
13»

Replies

• lolakey
    lolakey Posts: 91
    Options
    I have a polar HRM and I burn over 800 at my bikram yoga class! Biking is about 600 an hour for me and there are days when I bike over an hour (to and from work) and go to bikram.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I have a polar HRM and I burn over 800 at my bikram yoga class! Biking is about 600 an hour for me and there are days when I bike over an hour (to and from work) and go to bikram.

I have heard great things about bikram but cant find it near me....

if I couldnt burn my cals I dont know how I could only eat the cals I am given:smile:
  • connieq288
    connieq288 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    I do classes at the gym and I have a heart rate monitor. FOr me it depends on the class. Monday in Step class I burned over 600 and today in step I burned 576 calories and yesterday was Bellies, Booties and biceps which is more strength training so I only burned over 300 calories. I weigh about 260 lbs and my heart rate gets into the 170's at times.

Connie
  • artschoolgirl
    artschoolgirl Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I also thinks it makes a huge difference if you have gym equipment at home. I think I would constantly be on the treadmill or bicycle if I had it at my house! But, because I'm at the gym I have to limit myself to 30 minutes max on each machine, so like most of you, I burn about 350 calories on a good gym day. I am considering buying a trainer for my bike so I can pedal in my apartment.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I also thinks it makes a huge difference if you have gym equipment at home. I think I would constantly be on the treadmill or bicycle if I had it at my house! But, because I'm at the gym I have to limit myself to 30 minutes max on each machine, so like most of you, I burn about 350 calories on a good gym day. I am considering buying a trainer for my bike so I can pedal in my apartment.

blackburn makes a good trainer for the bike
  • artschoolgirl
    artschoolgirl Posts: 598 Member
    Options

blackburn makes a good trainer for the bike

Thanks for the information!!
  • GIBride01
    GIBride01 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I take a 1 x week step aerobics / cardio pump class, I wear my HRM and get a calorie burn of between 1000-1200 calories, and I am WHOOPED afterwards. It is high intensity from the getgo all they way through, combines step aerobics for 45 min- or so plus another 15-30 min weight training, jump rope, sprints, lunges etc. When I first started out 18# heavier, my calorie burn was closer to 1400 according to the HRM..I am about 160 now and fairly tall, around 5'8". Typically a DVD or 30 min on the elliptical / treadmill burns around 300-350. So my calories burned can get pretty high, but only if I am working as hard as I can for an extended period. Hope that helps...
  • Love_Conquers_All
    Options
    It also depends on your weight. It takes a lot more to move 300 lbs than it does 120lbs. That is where some of it comes in to play.

My husband and I can do the sam exercise and I burn more calories because I ma heavier
    I'm glad you made this point:happy:

I very much agree it can have everything to do with how large a person is lb. wise, I will burn MUCH more than someone that say weights 120. At my highest weight I was burning ALOT, even now I still burn quite a bit and I do drop my weight down some when setting the machines as well as dropping the Kiosk numbers down by 300-500 most times. So I don't think I'm overestimating, perhaps underestimating would be more like it in my case:tongue: ... at times.
  • hadenough
    Options
    The better shape you are in, the less calories you burn. On a 7 mile run I used to burn about 900 calories. Now I'm lucky if I burn 700. A 50min spin class used to burn about 700 calories and now according to my HRM I'm burning about 500.
  • destiny_206
    destiny_206 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    My kick class runs like 700 calories in the hour and the ellipticals have the calorie counters and a half hour id usally like 400 ish.
  • Love_Conquers_All
    Options
    The better shape you are in, the less calories you burn. On a 7 mile run I used to burn about 900 calories. Now I'm lucky if I burn 700. A 50min spin class used to burn about 700 calories and now according to my HRM I'm burning about 500.

A much more eloquent way of putting it than MY words were...thanks!:laugh: :blushing:
  • Love_Conquers_All
    Options

bikram yoga burns some SERIOUS cals:drinker: ....great workout for sure!:wink::laugh: