Anyone on Phentermine?

Options
I go through a weight loss clinic here in Phoenix. Under Dr. supervision, I take 37.5 mg of Phentermine to suppress my appetite. I lost 43 pounds on it 3 years ago in about 6 months. I had some stressful things happen over the years and fell back into my comfort eating ways. I started back on the program mid-Dec. and I'm wondering if anyone else is taking Phentermine? It would be nice to chat with others on a similar plan.

*Sidenote
I know there may be some people who read this and say I shouldn't take a pill and do it naturally. It isn't an over the counter pill. I go in monthly to see a Dr. where they record my progress and check my blood pressure. I am aware that I need to be prepared to eat right and exercise for the rest of my life. The phentermine suppresses my appetite but doesn't take it away. It doesn't make me choose the right foods, eat the right amounts or get off the couch and exercise. I definitely do my part. It's what works for me personally, to jump start my healthy way of life and not give up after 2 or 3 days of trying. I'll be on this for about 6 months and then do it on my own after that.

Replies

• jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    some will bash for this but yes I have taken them , I'm not on them right now, I did keep the wieght off after stopping for years but then got breast cancer and between the Chemo and the meds they put me on I balooned up to 200 pounds , so went back on them to take off the weight 2 years ago and have been keeping it off without them.
  • bnelly55
    bnelly55 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I take it and have lost 50 lbs since October. It's not cheating and you ARE doing it on your own. You have to make the effort to eat healthy and exercise everyday. It's not a magic pill and people forget that. It's does NOTHING for weight loss other than surpresing the appetite. For me, I was used to eating 3 thousand calories a day and I'm sorry, but going from that to 1200 cals a days would be extremely difficult without the phentermine. People like to look down on those who take it and view it as unsafe, but honestly being morbidly obese has ways more risk than using this medication as a tool to lose weight.
  • zlem
    zlem Posts: 92
    Options
    I took it for about a week (30mg) then discovered MFP. I lost a few kg in that week, eating next to nothing, very buzzy speedy feeling (my house had never been so clean! lol) and drinking massive amounts of water because it made my mouth so dry. I found MFP and started trying to make myself eat 1200cal. The buzzy feeling only lasted a few days.. I started getting really cranky in the afternoons. After about a week on MFP I figured I would try without the phentermine. So I took it for about 2 weeks total.

Happy I made the decision to stop taking it because I find I am losing weight without it, but it did help me to "kick start" and I don't regret it. I think the doctors here will only prescribe 3 months in a row and I was scared of what would happen after I stopped taking it.

My partner is still taking it, we are both losing pretty much the same amount per week.
  • Arcamanda
    Arcamanda Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Yes lol I was about to post something just like this. I find that phentermine is great for suppressing my appetite but bad for my attitude and way of thinking. I usually end up not wanting to eat much but when I do eat I always want to eat the same fatty foods as I did before. I also usually feel mentally alert but physically weak, like its hard to exercise without feeling sick to my stomach or faint.This time will be different! Lol I will try and eat healthy and exercise along with the medication and I will succeed. It is So inspirational to come on this website and find so many people who have lost their weight and are keeping it off. I need to lose 40 pounds to be happy, 50 pounds to be comfortable and 70 pounds to be amazed! Current weight 205, would love to be 160 or lower!
  • briocktj
    briocktj Posts: 128
    Options
    I started on it Sunday and have not had any side effects. I have taken it before with great results even though I didnt change anything. I still ate what I wanted and didnt exercise or drink water. I lost 13 pounds the first month, 5 pounds the second month and stayed the same on the third month. (This was a few years back.) Then in 2002/2003, I didnt do anything but walk on the treadmill for 45 minutes daily and drink water and I lost 40+ pounds with no pill, no diet, nothing but exercise and water. I am currently at the highest weight I have ever been in my life. I asked my doctor to let me try it one more time just as a boost to get me started. He will only let me take it 3 months and I have to go in for a checkup every 30 days. Looking at my food journal, I have realized that it is the food I eat, not the amounts that are causing me to gain weight. I dont eat much at all, but what I do eat is very high calorie. I dont plan to stay on the phentermine long term and only plan to use it to get me started. I look back on all the time I have wasted, how I didnt try to change my eating habits, etc. and I think my biggest asset this time is going to be my determination. I have read that some people here view the phentermine as cheating and if so... well, then I guess I am a cheater. I only know that with the results I had in the past without changing a thing, it makes me wonder how my results will be now that I am making the effort I need to make the right decisions with my food choices and that I need to GET UP AND MOVE! Working from home, I tend to spend almost all of my hours awake sitting at my computer, which isnt good.....
  • ericapage
    ericapage Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I take it and have lost 50 lbs since October. It's not cheating and you ARE doing it on your own. You have to make the effort to eat healthy and exercise everyday. It's not a magic pill and people forget that. It's does NOTHING for weight loss other than surpresing the appetite. For me, I was used to eating 3 thousand calories a day and I'm sorry, but going from that to 1200 cals a days would be extremely difficult without the phentermine. People like to look down on those who take it and view it as unsafe, but honestly being morbidly obese has ways more risk than using this medication as a tool to lose weight.

Thanks all for responding! Bnelly55, you're so right. Unfortunately, my hubby is one of those people that thinks I'm cheating. It sucks because I really do try hard. Hello... I'm totally addicted to food and hate exercise. This pill certainly doesn't change all that. He is supportive with coaching me on exercise and pushes me in a good way. I guess I shouldn't let others thoughts on this worry me. It's hard though.

My hubby and a couple of my friends tried Phentermine a few years ago and had that same buzzy feeling and went off. I don't ever feel weird, luckily. I do get super dry mouth but that's a good thing since it makes me down water all day.

Anyone, feel free to friend me for support. Good luck to us all!
  • KMiche82
    KMiche82 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I have taken them before and I lost a ton of weight with them and they worked wonderfully because it was a few months after I had my 2nd child so trust me I needed the energy to chase after a 2 year old and a 6 month old. I did it everytime I gained weight I figured I wanted to get it off quick, the only thing is everytime you take those pills they damage your heart because they increase your heart's beating which is not good for you. I would like to say if you like what they can do for you find a herbalife distributor or nutrition club and order a product called total control they are not as bad on your heart and if you say you can eat right without it then do that , please for your health.
  • mcrim5
    mcrim5 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am not currently taking Phentermine, but have in the past. It seemed as if I saw results almost right away. While taking them, I had multiple side effects including light headedness, I would always quiver when my blood sugar was even remotely low, and I was always anxious. Along with that, I started to feel dependent on it and it took me a while to finally get off of them for good. I never had any long term effect from them, and I think that if I had to do it over again, I probably would. It did help my jump start my weight loss and made me realize how hard I have to work to achieve my goal.
  • kristina0925
    Options
    I have a question regarding this medicine which no one has been able to clear up for me. Yes, I am on it and have lost about 25 lbs in about 2 months. It pretty much jump started my weight loss which I desperatly needed the help with. I know your only supposed to be on it for 2-3 months max at a time. The thing Im really worried about is once I stop taking it will I gain all my weight back right away? Im really scared about this I love my results and I know once Im off of it I will keep up with watching calories and exercising. But someone please tell me it doesnt just all come back!! ;) Thank You
  • ericapage
    ericapage Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Lots of people lost the weight with this and stayed that way. I maintained for almost a year and then I started cosmetology school, we foreclosed on our house, hubby changed jobs and several other crappy things happened. I'm a comfort eater and since I got comfortable after losing weight I slowly started eating "bad foods" until I was eating (and looking) like I used to. So now that I am on this again, I am very aware of what my triggers & weaknesses are and what I need to do to prevent the weight gain from happening again. 3 months is a long enough time to train your head and stomach to eat sensibly. I know I will have cravings for certain foods and will be bombarded with sweet treats and yummy party foods at special occasions. I've learned to eat a snack before I go and drink lots of water. That way I only eat a little and then walk away. It sucks that this will be something I'll have to struggle with the rest of my life. I guess what will keep me strong this time is knowing if I waiver and relax too much, it will come right back. I think it was Heidi Klum who once said "Being skinny feels better than how that food tastes". Amen! ;)
  • phresh21
    phresh21 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I was on it about a yr ago for about 2.5 months and lost 20 lbs, I didnt do any exercising nor change my eating habits. It just made me not want to eat. I don't personally reccomend it, but each person has their own choice. I had some side effects, rapid heart beat, high blood pressure. The nice easy weight loss was nice but not worth it to me.
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I would only caution you, I've just been diagnosed with Long QT Syndrome (an electrical issue with the heart) and this drug is on the list to avoid -- i.e., it can cause arrhythmia. Just be careful & good luck to you! Losing weight is VERY hard to do, without being judged. I just got a load of s@#% for posting about going vegan, so I am going to happily keep my judgment to myself!:happy:
  • MelissaW1978
    MelissaW1978 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I took it after I had my second child and lost my weight really quickly. The bad things that make me not want to do it again are: the heart palpitations (I could literally see my heart beating out of my chest) and the sleep deprivation. Even if I slept for 8 hours, I would feel tired because it wasn't a good deep sleep. I like it for quick weight loss but I wouldn't want to stay on it longer than a couple of months. I'm a worrier and would be afraid of long term damage to my heart.
  • mommaTBays
    Options
    I am also on doctor directed amount of Phentermine. I take a lower dose that is time-released so I don't get all jittery and mean. I lost a lot of weight on it many years ago but I am making sure I don't rely on it this time. I am only using it for one month as assistance as I diet and exercise. I want to do this mainly by changing my lifestyle habits. I don't think there is anything wrong with it at all because you are still doing it yourself, just getting a little help. You still have to make changes to keep it up or you will gain it right back.
  • chefkev
    chefkev Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I'm on it. 3 months on, 1 month off. I am in round 2 of it, next month is my off month. I have minor, minor side effects, just dry mouth now. At first it was like speed, but now it's nothing. I am around $20,000 worth of food everyday. Without it, I have little control. All it does it takes enough of the edge off that I can think if I want to eat something or not.

Anyone who says it is cheating is just wrong. It is a tool. And while on it, you can learn to eat more normally. The side effects of being fat are far far worse than taking a pill for a few months. I am so healthy now it's scary!
  • tmjones0822
    Options
    I take it! And I dont care what anyone thinks if they call it cheating :tongue: BECAUSE they arent me. I dont judge their diet so I deserve the same respect. I have been on and off of it for years. But this time (I know everyone says that) I am going to lose the weight and do it right. Before I would still eat bad food, with MFP I am keeping a better diet and exercise so I think I will be more successful. The only negative side effect for me is that I dont sleep well on it. No matter how early I take it, I toss and turn all night. So that kinda stinks.
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't agree with weight loss pills as most people can do it on their own with a reduce calorie diet and exercise.

However, if you are under a proper Doctor supervision while taking it and you are regularly being checked for the various issues these things can cause there is no issues with it. It's all a personal choice and is very dependant on circumstances within your life and your health background.

Weight loss is VERY hard as we all know. I have found more natural things to help with not eating as much. Personally, I love PGX which is a form of a weight loss pill but doesn't have some of the side effects the rest have.

As long as you're making an informed choice there's no harm. Just make sure you work on the lifestyle changes so you can maintain your lower weight or keep losing once you stop taking them. Good luck with it!
  • abigailm83
    Options
    I have taken them before, I had lost 45lbs on my own and hit a stand still so my doctor put me on them. I continued to lose weight and ended up losing a total of 80lbs. I kept the weight off for about 3 years then slowly gained it back. I to had let my life style change and not for the better. I have since had another baby and I'm back where I started in 2007. I think as long as your under a doctors care they are fine and do help in losing weight. My goal at this point is 100lbs so feel free to add me :)
  • Tenoreo90
    Tenoreo90 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I used to, lost weight quickly, but I gained so much tolerance to it and i would've had to increase my mg to double what it was when I started. It became too expensive for me. It's not a long-term solution, is what i'm saying...no medication is supposed to be. And just so you know, Doctors may be doctors, but they can be money-hungry, too. A friend of mine that had an eating disorder went to see one of these weight loss doctors at 125 lb and 5'10. She asked for the highest dosage, he actually told her he didn't reccomend it, but she could have it if she really wanted it. She got sickeningly thing. She's gotten help since then, but my god do I hate that man.
  • Shaneekwa
    Shaneekwa Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I've actually tried Phentermine and lost a great amount of weight. The only side effect I experienced is dry mouth which can be a good thing because it increase your water intake. I have gained my weight back but that was due to stress and going back to my old habits of overly eating and indulging in sweets.