Reasons why no one responded to your topic

Options
2»

Replies

• MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Actually I think a lot of valid topics get pushed back with no response because of the newish way that we see recent topics on our homepage. It was much better back when it showed recently posted topics rather than recently commented on. I see TONS of good posts get buried all the time by all the silly threads going on that more than half the time have nothing at all to do with fitness or weight loss.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Some of the subjects need a sticky. Everyday there at least 20 or 30 "I want to start running" posts. There should be a "C25K click here to learn about running" tab.

How about calories burned on gym machine vs. MFP vs. HRM posts?
    Interestingly enough, Steven addressed this today in the following thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/447943-muscles-weight-more-than-fat?page=2
    While the idea of an official FAQ is a good one, and something we'll take under consideration, it still is not a substitute for the friendships that can be made when veteran users answer a new user's question "live".
    Even with sticky threads or FAQs, the questions will still roll in, so we may as well roll with it and either provide helpful responses or ignore them.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    A lot of people suggest people use the search option, but the question is, when should people stop using the search option?
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I think we could really use some exercise sub-forums as well.

- Running/walking
    - Lifting
    - DVD - P90X, 30DS, Insanity, etc.

I can talk all day about running, but I know nothing about P90X.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    A lot of people suggest people use the search option, but the question is, when should people stop using the search option?

When they can't find what they're looking for.
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    1) When they find what they're looking for
    2) When they can't find what they're looking for
    3) When their hands are broken, and they are unable to
    4) When they want to
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    1) When they find what they're looking for
    2) When they can't find what they're looking for
    3) When their hands are broken, and they are unable to
    4) When they want to

5) When their heads are full of current and accurate data about the topic in question
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I like the groups for specific questions. For example, if I ask a question about strength training in the strength training group, I will get better responses than if I ask it here.

Anyway, I find that sometimes I don't respond when I don't have anything to add or when I just can't be nice. For example, when a thousand different people ask in the same day how to lose belly fat, and everyone bumps the post looking for the answer, I really want to be snarky. I almost didn't respond, because honestly, there is no answer to that question. Almost everyone who loses weight can't control which body parts lose it first, and some of us will ALWAYS have belly fat, no matter how little we weigh.

So yes, the search function is wonderful, and so are the groups.
  • EmilyLStuart
    Options
    Right.

I posted about improving my vertical jump and it got "crickets". Also posted my lift routine and asked for suggested variations, also "crickets".

Obviously the weight loss is the main focus here with most with not too many interested in the more specialized aspects of exercise

Yeah, the topics come and go so fast this time of year, sometimes those that need a more specialized answer don't stay up long enough to attract the right people.

There's nothing wrong with "bumping" your own topic (reply to your own topic to "bump" it back up to the top of the list) to give it a second viewing.

when I saw "bump" I seriously thought it meant someone saying the thread was a bunch of garbage...you know, bump. lol at myself. :)
  • InTheInbetween
    InTheInbetween Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    THIS thread needs a sticky! :drinker:

And my own 2 cents . . . Make the TITLE something that will catch an eye and is specific to your actual post. That's how I decide to click on a thread. Titling a post with just "question" or "what am I doing wrong" or a variety of other generics does not inspire immediate clickage. :wink:
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    THIS thread needs a sticky! :drinker:

And my own 2 cents . . . Make the TITLE something that will catch an eye and is specific to your actual post. That's how I decide to click on a thread. Titling a post with just "question" or "what am I doing wrong" or a variety of other generics does not inspire immediate clickage. :wink:
    I dunno. The all-caps-and-exclamation-point-ones always get plenty of response.

"HELP!!!!"
    "WHAT SHOULD I DO?!?!?!?!"

The poster may look foolish, but it will generate traffic. :laugh:
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Right.

I posted about improving my vertical jump and it got "crickets". Also posted my lift routine and asked for suggested variations, also "crickets".

Obviously the weight loss is the main focus here with most with not too many interested in the more specialized aspects of exercise
    Nope - people are nowhere near ready to do much else beyond the basics.
    I am thinking that by May of this year, I may either fund and start something or see if there are any specialized alternatives for peak fitness without it digressing into some body building tomfoolery with a bunch of muscle bound jug-heads all talking smack.
  • katiebythebay
    katiebythebay Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but I'm ROTFLMAO on these two comments.
  • sejalmehra
    sejalmehra Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    LOL. I think that the boards are ealy busy right now.
  • Alachofra15
    Alachofra15 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I used the search function to search for 'cricket' - as in the sport, not the bugs - (to see if there was anyone else that played it) and got this thread.

It amuses me that this came up