Soft food diet... need suggestions!

Options
Hi all!

I'm on a soft food diet until Feb; my doctor put me on one.

I have no idea what I can eat with this diet... all I can think of are smoothies, protein drinks, milkshakes, oatmeal/cream of wheat, soft bananas, pudding, yogurt, applesauce and soup. I was also thinking spaghetti or any pasta dish...

Does anyone have any other ideas? I don’t care if its low calorie, I just need to eat something. I want fruits and veggies too, if anyone can think of any. If it's portable, even better, since I will have a new schedule next week and can't eat at home.

Thanks!

Replies

• sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    got a food processor? toss in your favorite meal and HIT THE GO BUTTON! bzzzzzztttt bzzzzzzzzzzttttt

liquid-meal!

probably tastes gross but it is soft, whatever you put in there and mash up / destroy will turn soft.

otherwise you have the right idea. You can buy ensure or slim fast shakes to get calories in while you have trouble eating. I had strep throat in July last year and could barely drink let alone eat anything solid. I lived on slim fast (simply because it has more calories than water)
  • californiansun
    californiansun Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    got a food processor? toss in your favorite meal and HIT THE GO BUTTON! bzzzzzztttt bzzzzzzzzzzttttt

liquid-meal!

probably tastes gross but it is soft, whatever you put in there and mash up / destroy will turn soft.

otherwise you have the right idea. You can buy ensure or slim fast shakes to get calories in while you have trouble eating. I had strep throat in July last year and could barely drink let alone eat anything solid. I lived on slim fast (simply because it has more calories than water)

If I did that I would probably not be able to eat anything I put in the processor again haha.
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Get a blender if you don't have one and puree your veggies for a veggie soup. You can even add meat if you're so inclined.

You can puree just about anything. I may not be the most lovely of textures but it should still taste decent. lol

Good luck, hun! :D
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    How about baby food? Some of it is good. Mac and cheese? Didn't the Doctor suggest anything?
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    We might need more info. Does it need to be free of anything, like color, dyes anything scratchy?

You could do scramled eggs cheese and with a soft shell make a burrito. It sounds like it needs to me soft, but not liquid.

Pancakes are soft.

soups, You need to make sure you are getting enough protien, so make sure you add protien powders, Fruits and veggies are easy enough to puree into a juice or smoothie. That is why I pointed out the protien.

Best wishes. I hope everything is all right. That seems like a unique situation.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Lean Cuisine Ravioli is great.
    Also, you can steam tilapia fillets in chicken broth.

Best of luck to you.
  • LeahFerri
    LeahFerri Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Mashed potatoes, mashed sweet potatoes, mashed cauliflower.
    And the things you mentioned. I just got my wisdom teeth out a week ago and those definitely helped me out a lot! Macaroni and cheese was also my best friend--the day I got them out I couldn't eat anything. That macaroni tasted too good to be true.
  • californiansun
    Options
    We might need more info. Does it need to be free of anything, like color, dyes anything scratchy?

You could do scramled eggs cheese and with a soft shell make a burrito. It sounds like it needs to me soft, but not liquid.

Pancakes are soft.

soups, You need to make sure you are getting enough protien, so make sure you add protien powders, Fruits and veggies are easy enough to puree into a juice or smoothie. That is why I pointed out the protien.

Best wishes. I hope everything is all right. That seems like a unique situation.

It doesn't have to be free of anything. I want to try to keep sugars as low as possible, so milk shakes probably wont be in my best interest. I can barely open my jaw, so anything that doesn't require a lot of chewing would be great. I guess soft things would fit into this category. Thanks all for the advice!
  • Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    mashed sweet potatoes, avocados can be pretty soft, mashed up bananas, peaches
  • alexbowser
    Options
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2008/11/crock-pot-chicken-taco-chili-4-pts.html

I just tried this recipe and I really liked it, except that I thought it didn't have enough texture, so it should be perfect.
  • californiansun
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice!