Need motivation to work out...I'm at zero.

Options
I'm just beginning my journey back to health and thus far the food, water and attitude are there. WOrking out - not so much. The kinds of work outs I like are very involved; horseback riding, tennis, etc.

I love to run but I can't at this weight. Walking - snooze. I probably just have to force the issue but wondered if anyone had some clever ideas to get motivated?

Replies

• SherNY
    SherNY Posts: 87
    Options
    I didn't stick with walking and don't have a gym at my disposal so I borrowed a zuma DVD and love it! I have to confess I have no rhythm and can not dance at all, but it is fun so it doesn't feel like I'm working out....until my legs wobble anyway LoL
  • Miriai
    Miriai Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I found that dance tutorial videos can be fun online as well. Also sometimes finding someone who is willing to go and do something with you, even if it is just once a week can be a good spur. I go to a gym with my friend once a week for an hour or so, but it gets me going and motivates me to try and do things on my own as well.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    The best motivational advice I've ever received about exercise was to change my attitude about it. Exercise can be fun, but it doesn't have to be. It's just part of taking care of yourself. Hardly anyone wakes up in the morning and says, "I can't wait to go and brush my teeth," but most of us do it anyway, because we feel gross if we don't. Exercise is like that. Once you are used to doing it on a regular basis, you will start to notice when you don't do it.
  • TimWilkinson101
    TimWilkinson101 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Working on motivation myself and finding myself wanting on that front.

I remember Ranulph Fiennes (polar explorer / marathon runner / etc) saying he loathed keeping fit, but what he would do to go for a run would be:

1. Force himself to stand up off the couch
    2. Walk over to his trainers
    3. Put the trainers on
    4. Go outside
    5. Start running

Breaking it down into little bits meant he could cope and wasnt thinkign about the whole 10 mile run in the rain, just getting off his couch.
  • TheGoblinRoad
    TheGoblinRoad Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Xbox 360 with Kinect. You can buy the tennis game. Yeah. its not the same, but it's still fun.
  • brandyosu
    brandyosu Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Are there any other activities that you really enjoy? Dancing, for example? Heck, if you really get into it cleaning house can be considered a workout. It sounds like you just need to find creative ways to squeeze it in. And remember that something is better than nothing.
  • camayallover
    camayallover Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone!!! Awesome ideas!

I love AngelDei that you broke it down like that - I do project management and that is how I started eating right. I planned it all out.

I also love the idea of doing it with someone even just once a week - thanks Miriai - I am about to walk down to a co-worker and see if I can arrange for that.

Lastly - I love dancing brandyosu - so I'm going to find a DVD like Zumba like SherNY suggested and see if I can do this using my laptop.

I'm inspired and I want to thank you all - just the boost I needed. I'll keep you posted how it turns out!
  • missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Take a nice easy walk in the sun if there is any. Does more for the sole and body than sitting...